Senator John McCain, great American, war hero, amazing human being, badass, dies at 81

Trump rejected plans for a White House statement praising McCain

President Trump nixed issuing a statement that praised the heroism and life of Sen. John McCain, telling senior aides he preferred to issue a tweet before posting one Saturday night that did not include any kind words for the late Arizona Republican.

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Chief of Staff John F. Kelly and other White House aides advocated for an official statement that gave the decorated Vietnam War POW plaudits for his military and Senate service and called him a “hero,” according to current and former White House aides, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations. The original statement was drafted before McCain died Saturday, and Sanders and others edited a final version this weekend that was ready for the president, the aides said. 

But Trump told aides he wanted to post a brief tweet instead, and the statement praising McCain’s life was not released. 

“It’s atrocious,” Mark Corallo, a former spokesman for Trump’s legal team and a longtime Republican strategist, said of Trump’s reaction to McCain’s death.

I love how he's screwing up something that would be so easy for him to get even neutral press.

Honestly, I don't really see why it's so unreasonable to be happy about the death of a guy that you despised? It seems to me it'd be dishonest for @RedSoxFan9 to be praising McCain for being a great statesman and whatnot, since he clearly doesn't believe that to be true. 

I'm not saying it's wrong to be civil btw, I just don't think it's wrong to be uncivil either. 

On 8/25/2018 at 12:22 PM, Jose said:

You're still allowed to talk about all the terrible things he's done and has allowed to happen without being a sicko and enjoying his suffering.

On 8/25/2018 at 12:40 PM, Chris- said:

Christ, there are brick walls with more social aptitude than you. You can voice disagreement or opposition without being an asshole.

@SilentWorld

• Thanks 1

I think at this point it’s one thing to piss on someone’s grave whom you despise because of their policy and make an off-color remark or two.

But it’s kind of another thing to piss on someone’s grave, dig them out and shit in their mouth, then reburry them only to piss on their grave again so you can repeat it obsessively for two days.

As has been said earlier you don’t have to be civil, but at the same time you can also not become a caricature of everything wrong with discourse today.

McCain Was Never “Bipartisan.” He Was a Decent Partisan, the Kind We Need More Of.

“For democracies to work,” Michael Ignatieff, the former leader of the Canadian Liberal Party and now the president of Central European University, once wrote, “politicians need to respect the difference between an enemy and an adversary. An adversary is someone you want to defeat. An enemy is someone you have to destroy.”

Some people hope that Americans might one day be able to cast aside our differences and recognize that, far from being either enemies or adversaries, we are actually friends. That hope is naïve: Complex societies like ours will always have deep political fault lines. The spirit of democracy is not to hide or overcome those disagreements, but rather to channel them into productive political competition.

That is why McCain was not a bi- or even non-partisan patriot, as some misremember him. Rather, he represented something we need much more urgently: a decent partisan, who was animated by his conviction about how to change the country, and yet deeply respectful of the people with whom he disagreed.

And this, of course, also helps us to understand the true nature of the man whom McCain so obviously disdained: The deepest problem with Donald Trump is not that he has political views with which many Americans viscerally disagree, or even that he desperately wants his own side to win. It is that he casts anybody who does disagree with him as an enemy, not only of himself, but of the country as a whole. And in that sense, the most ignoble thing Trump ever said about McCain—his suggestion that McCain wasn’t a war hero because he had been captured (and badly tortured) by the Vietcong—was a logical outflow of his core convictions: Trump’s world view does not brook the possibility that a man who disagreed with him as deeply as McCain always did might nevertheless have had universally admired accomplishments to his name.

10 hours ago, SilentWorld said:

Honestly, I don't really see why it's so unreasonable to be happy about the death of a guy that you despised? It seems to me it'd be dishonest for @RedSoxFan9 to be praising McCain for being a great statesman and whatnot, since he clearly doesn't believe that to be true. 

I'm not saying it's wrong to be civil btw, I just don't think it's wrong to be uncivil either. 

In addition to what everyone else has stated, when you use terms such as 'dweeb' with no irony, share tweets from people who look like physical embodiments of the dark web, and when your response to being told you're becoming a parody of yourself is, "ur unbelievably sto00opid," you're probably going to get a little pushback.

2 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

That awkward moment when a Donald Trump parody account gives a more heartfelt message than the real Donald Trump.

Dude, this fucking comment:

What's amazing is that THIS is the post that caused everyone to stop and say "this is a parody page."

:lol: 

• Haha 2

I don't even know how this stuff is supposed to work. I know Ted Kennedy had five days and the flags at the US Capitol remain at half-staff. In fact, I think flags in general are half-staff today.

But again, it just seems like something he easily could avoid bad press on.

22 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I don't even know how this stuff is supposed to work. I know Ted Kennedy had five days and the flags at the US Capitol remain at half-staff. In fact, I think flags in general are half-staff today.

But again, it just seems like something he easily could avoid bad press on.

Flags traditionally remain at half-staff until the conclusion of the funeral.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Most everyone gave McCain a pass for his racist comments towards his captors.  Why wouldn't you?  We wouldn't malign a former slave for calling their white master a "cracker", would we?

Those aren’t the same conditions and (I think) you know that

16 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Those aren’t the same conditions and (I think) you know that

Neither were the conditions experienced by Bauer and McCain, yet you posted that tweet :lol: