Senator John McCain, great American, war hero, amazing human being, badass, dies at 81

1 minute ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I do like that the discussion is about “edginess” instead a bunch dweebs talking about the dignified statesman who likes to say gook and voted against MLK day

the objection to short posts is funny because nearly every forum post longer than 5 lines tends to be trash.  eg people regurgitating Nate silver’s latest article in an attempt to sound intelligent. 

I have no problem being challenged but that doesn’t mean I need to respond to dumb posts

You're still allowed to talk about all the terrible things he's done and has allowed to happen without being a sicko and enjoying his suffering.

1 minute ago, Jose said:

You're still allowed to talk about all the terrible things he's done and has allowed to happen without being a sicko and enjoying his suffering.

Or put it into context. Gook's a terrible word even to describe your captors, but he did help normalize relations with Vietnam. The idea that, "Trump did one good deed, which is one more than McCain did," is silliness.

Just now, RedSoxFan9 said:

Oh shit sucka someone found the low hanging fruit

Was this intentionally ironic?

19 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I do like that the discussion is about “edginess” instead a bunch dweebs talking about the dignified statesman who likes to say gook and voted against MLK day

the objection to short posts is funny because nearly every forum post longer than 5 lines tends to be trash.  eg people regurgitating Nate silver’s latest article in an attempt to sound intelligent. 

I have no problem being challenged but that doesn’t mean I need to respond to dumb posts

Christ, there are brick walls with more social aptitude than you. You can voice disagreement or opposition without being an asshole.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

It has long worried me that the far left displays some of the rot that the GOP is in the advanced stages of. I think there are times when they should serve as a cautionary tale that the Democratic party should be careful not to devolve into the same kind of degenerate party the GOP has. 

And this thread seems like a good example. As I said before, I enjoy a tasteless joke myself. But when you're literally making the same jokes as the MAGAtard, lolwhatacuck, alt right scumweb dwellers, maybe it's time to examine what you're doing.

Kinda sounds like the horseshoe theory

• Guillotine 1

I still remember him telling off that woman who dared to yell that Obama was a Muslim during one of his speeches during the 2008 election. He had low hanging fruit that his supporters believed and instead of taking that fruit, he decided to educate his base.

Mad fucking respect for that alone.

Just now, MarSolo said:

I still remember him telling off that woman who dared to yell that Obama was a Muslim during one of his speeches during the 2008 election. He had low hanging fruit that his supporters believed and instead of taking that fruit, he decided to educate his base.

I miss the days of politicians having just a little bit of class. It's amazing how far Trump has lowered the bar. 

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

The respect he gets for that is such bullshit. The woman was attacking Obama for being an Arab, and McCain didn't say "it's okay to be an Arab", he just said "lol no he's not an Arab".

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Years ago, I thought he might live to the triple digits just because of how old his mom was and longevity running in the family.

81's still a long while, though.

It's kind of funny because when you're young, old ages like that all sound the same. But the older you get the more you appreciate the difference. 

She lived to 81....and then 25 years after that. 

I'm not going to dance on the man's grave, but my ambivalence means I don't have any real sense of loss either.

For me, it comes down to his willingness to apply military force to just about every foreign policy situation that bordered on the pathological.

Even after the disaster that was Iraq -- for the thousands of dead and injured Americans and the tens (if not hundreds) of thousands dead and injured Iraqis -- he still advocated military involvement in Iran, in Libya, and in Syria.  And for what?

When I think of McCain the words that come to mind are "wasted opportunity" at the very best and "enabler" of the very worst aspects of American foreign policy at the very least.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm not going to dance on the man's grave, but my ambivalence means I don't have any real sense of loss either.

For me, it comes down to his willingness to apply military force to just about every foreign policy situation that bordered on the pathological.

Even after the disaster that was Iraq -- for the thousands of dead and injured Americans and the tens (if not hundreds) of thousands dead and injured Iraqis -- he still advocated military involvement in Iran, in Libya, and in Syria.  And for what?

When I think of McCain the words that come to mind are "wasted opportunity" at the very best and "enabler" at the very least.

What a statesman. :daydream:

@Jason You may enjoy this posthumous article.

The party of Donald Trump began almost 10 years ago to the day, when John McCain tapped Sarah Palin to join his ticket.

It’s one of the most important moments of McCain’s career. He proved willing to empower a demagogue when he thought doing so would improve his political fortunes, exactly the sin so many of his colleagues in the Republican Party have committed since Trump won their party’s nomination.

McCain, who passed away at age 81, is remembered as a maverick, a man who crossed the aisle and built relationships with Democrats. But he also betrayed his own values hoping to win a presidential election, and sent the Republican Party down the path to Trump.

40 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Yeah, not too many politicians least of all republicans would stand up and do that.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

And how could I forget his pushing for a military confrontation with Russia over Georgia (a situation that was precipitated by GEORGIAN actions) and Crimea/Ukraine.

That was nothing short of moral insanity and should have disqualified him from ever being taken seriously about anything ever again.

But today we are ALL Georgians! :angry: