X-Men '97 (Disney+) - update: series creator fired days before premiere, "A New Age" trailer

55 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Spidey cartoon Venom is one of the better Venoms!

What I love what they did with him was 

Spoiler

that Eddie wasn't just some rival journalist that couldn't catch a break, and got jealous of Peter, but they made him and Peter really good friends, almost like Eddie was an older brother to Peter, but Peter legitimately fucked things up between them that you understood Eddie's growing resentment towards him. It was Peter's own fault for ruining their friendship. Add in a murderous symbiote to bond with Eddie, and you get Venom.

• True 1

Is this a Spectacular Spiderman love fest?

Count me in… great show, solid individual episodes that tied in to bigger overarching stories… the Green Goblin misdirection still worked.

We were definitely robbed, made it that much easier to hate what we got in its place..

So X-men… they got the original Wolverine voice actor sure, but his voice “lacks” what it had in his younger days… Morph looking like chameleon from spiderman is different…Hopefully Jubilee gets the “shut up Meg” treatment.  Even as a kid I didnt love X-men and this looks “lesser” than what was back then.. hopefully the stories pick up the slack… 

Re: '90s Spider-Man.

Loved it when I was a kid. My oldest has been watching all the Spider-Man content on Disney+ and he went through that one. I actually disagree with the people here. It has not held up well IMO. And it's the only one my son doesn't revisit. There's at least two newer ones (don't remember their specific titles) but my son watches those over and over again.

I also recently watched some old '90s X-Men. That has held up a lot better. I like the look of this trailer because even though it's probably not hand drawn/animated, it looks so. It has the feel of the original but just slightly polished.

Whenever I think about "old" X-Men stuff, I'm reminded that a bunch of shit that people assume came from the comics actually came from the movies, like Magneto's helmet blocking Chuck's telepathy. I assume there's similar stuff from the cartoon that I'm just not remembering.

11 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Whenever I think about "old" X-Men stuff, I'm reminded that a bunch of shit that people assume came from the comics actually came from the movies, like Magneto's helmet blocking Chuck's telepathy. I assume there's similar stuff from the cartoon that I'm just not remembering.

Doesn’t juggernaut’s helmet do that?  Might just be confusing the two.

• True 1

11 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Doesn’t juggernaut’s helmet do that?  Might just be confusing the two.

Juggernaut's did, I think, yes. Magneto's helmet at some point back in the day kinda gave him telepathic powers, or something like them?

23 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Re: '90s Spider-Man.

Loved it when I was a kid. My oldest has been watching all the Spider-Man content on Disney+ and he went through that one. I actually disagree with the people here. It has not held up well IMO. And it's the only one my son doesn't revisit. There's at least two newer ones (don't remember their specific titles) but my son watches those over and over again.

I also recently watched some old '90s X-Men. That has held up a lot better. I like the look of this trailer because even though it's probably not hand drawn/animated, it looks so. It has the feel of the original but just slightly polished.

The 3D environments they tried to integrate in the Spider-Man 90s cartoon were HORRENDOUS even at the time.

• True 1

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't exactly a positive development:

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

In an unusual situation on the eve of a project's debut, the writer-producer, who worked on 'Moon Knight' and 'Blade', will no longer be promoting the show or moving forward with future seasons.

Earlier this month, Beau DeMayo was in the midst of a particularly busy time at Marvel Studios. The writer-producer was preparing for the launch of X-Men ’97, the Disney+ series he created as a continuation of the beloved ‘90s Fox Kids show. 

DeMayo, a Marvel regular who previously wrote on live-action series Moon Knight as well as early drafts of the company’s delayed-but-still-upcoming vampire thriller Blade, had completed writing duties on season two of X-Men ’97, was lining up press, and making plans to attend the show’s Hollywood premiere on March 13. He was even discussing loose ideas for a third season with members of his team.

But early last week, Marvel and DeMayo suddenly parted ways. His company email was deactivated and cast and crew were informed he was no longer on the project. DeMayo’s Instagram account, once a source for X-Men updates, was deleted. No reason for the firing was given. 

Marvel had no comment. DeMayo’s representatives did not return calls for comment and emails to the showrunner yielded no response.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to X-Men '97 (Disney+ | 03/20/24) - update: series creator fired days before premiere, "A New Age" trailer
1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah, a lot of speculation as to why. He's deleted all his social media and Disney isn't commenting...so I am assuming something behaviour-related.

Wouldn’t it be funny that it turns out it was him that started the online thingy about Rogue’s ass/tits not being “sexy” enough anymore. 

but in all seriousness, it’s probably worse 

I watched the first 2 episodes last night and it was a hit of nostalgia. Some of the voices sound older but still great to hear. The animation works out better than I thought with the more classic early season look, and not the weird crappy shitty animated stuff by the last original season. As for X-Men going woke, well “News Flash” folks. The series has always been a parallel line to being gay/different but still looking for acceptance in society. Plus it does a great job of just continuing/expanding the story from the original series. Wonder if they’ll get a cameo again from our 90’s Spider-Man, or Captain America from that Logan flashback episode 

Oh, at least on Disney+ Canada. They had the first season up for Spectacular Spider-man again :) 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to X-Men '97 (Disney+) - update: series creator fired days before premiere, "A New Age" trailer

That was indeed trippy (bowl of both Malawi and C99) I believe I still followed the story but iIt’s be interesting to see when where she was taken for the cloning process. Plus that whole opening doomed future vision plays differently somehow but wonder how the road will twist/turn its way there.

• Like 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1