X-Men '97 (Disney+) - update: series creator fired days before premiere, "A New Age" trailer

FUCK!!!!!! THAT WAS FUCKING AMAZING!

I would put this pretty near the season one finale of Invincible, for HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT! moments of awesome/sadness. 

also someone on another board noticed another cameo, that I didn’t. 

Spoiler

spacer.png

11 hours ago, silentbob said:

FUCK!!!!!! THAT WAS FUCKING AMAZING!

I would put this pretty near the season one finale of Invincible, for HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT! moments of awesome/sadness. 

also someone on another board noticed another cameo, that I didn’t. 

Hide contents

spacer.png

I saw that but completely forgot about it after what transpired.

Magneto flashing back to his childhood in the concentration camp and his line about "nations allowing their leaders to become terrorists" (how very, very appropriate for our current geopolitical moment) really demonstrate just how narratively mature this animated series well and truly is. 

• Halal 1

I wasn’t allowed to watch the original show growing up because my mom thought it was violent, but I’ve since seen a little as a kid. I don’t think it holds up as well as an adult. But this show is actually a huge improvement over the original while still maintaining the same style and tone. I really hated how What If looked like but this looks great.

Superhero stuff really is much better suited for animation. This and Spider-Verse have much more vibrant and imaginative action that anything from the last few decades of live-action adaptations.

That last episode got me. :(

The Magneto line that got me was “we will not live our days wondering if we could have saved more.”

This show isn’t afraid to do crazy things, that’s for sure. For once I’m all about comic book storytelling’s tendency to reverse death.

Man, if there's one thing this show isn't the least bit subtle about, it's the completely justified, totally in-your-face anti-colonialist message.

"How Rudyard Kipling of you."

"I do not know this Kipling.  A Terran?"

"Yes. One possessed of many burdens. None real."

Is Disney even aware that their 90's throwback Marvel superhero cartoon is perhaps one of the most overtly political shows on television right now?!?!

(No one tell them, please!)

• Haha 1

Hard to top Remember It, but this was a neat episode and really enjoyed the Storm story element. I knew Prof X was always a possibility of coming back and seems like it will be soon. I usually don’t watch the opening credits but did this time, and they changed the opening which is great. Also gotta ask about where Prof X. is at the moment. Isn’t this the home of The Silver Surfer. If so, is this the world before Galactus’s bargain with Norrin Radd was made or after. 

On 4/19/2024 at 6:34 PM, silentbob said:

Isn’t this the home of The Silver Surfer. If so, is this the world before Galactus’s bargain with Norrin Radd was made or after. 

No. The Shiar have nothing to do with Silver Surfer. Surfer was from a planet called Zenn-LA.

I just got caught up on this show this week and was geniuinely surprised by how good it has been. They definitely aren't afraid to ruffle some feathers.

• Halal 1