Inflation sucks bruh: JPow's Jihad

7 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

What does this mean, effectively?

Interest rates are falling, essentially, and the market expects them to fall further.—I.e., the end of the jihad.

Long version: We talk as if the Fed sets interest rates, but in reality it controls only certain kinds of interest rates.  The prevailing rate(s) of interest on the debt markets (and by extension, the overall supply of money, to a large degree) is set endogenously, by internal market forces that the Fed is trying to influence.  As the most liquid debt market in the world, treasuries are the most reliable benchmark of these conditions, so falling yields indicates falling rates across the overall economy, and as one of the longest-termed forms of debt, 10-year treasuries gauge expectations for what rates (and as an extension inflation) will be in the medium-term future. (Nothing really tells you what the long term will be—but as Keynes said, you and I will be dead anyway)

• Halal 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Jason said:

JPow holding firm on the need to grind labor to a bloody pulp :flag:

15 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

JPow demands more layoffs 

Like this?

WWW.CNBC.COM

Challenger, Gray & Christmas said planned layoffs totaled 82,307 for the month, a jump of 136% from December.

Companies announced the highest level of job cuts in January since early 2023, a potential trouble spot for a labor market that will be in sharp focus this year, according to a report Thursday from Challenger, Gray & Christmas.

The job outplacement firm said planned layoffs totaled 82,307 for the month, a jump of 136% from December though still down 20% from the same period a year ago.

It was the second-highest layoff total and the lowest planned hiring level for the month of January in data going back to 2009.

• Hugs 1

Oh yeah - the jihad will never end at this rate.

WWW.CNBC.COM

Nonfarm payrolls were expected to increase by 185,000 in January, according to a Dow Jones consensus estimate.

Job growth posted a surprisingly strong increase in January, demonstrating again that the U.S. labor market is solid and poised to support broader economic growth.

Nonfarm payrolls expanded by 353,000 for the month, much better than the Dow Jones estimate for 185,000, the Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday. The unemployment rate held at 3.7%, against the estimate for 3.8%.

Wage growth also showed strength, as average hourly earnings increased 0.6%, double the monthly estimate. On a year-over-year basis, wages jumped 4.5%, well above the 4.1% forecast. The wage gains came amid a decline in average hours worked, down to 34.1, or 0.2 hour lower for the month.

• Hype 3

13 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

Honest question of where these jobs are coming from when the tech sector seems to be on a killing spree regarding jobs. 

Job growth was widespread on the month, led by professional and business services with 74,000. Other significant contributors included health care (70,000), retail trade (45,000), government (36,000), social assistance (30,000) and manufacturing (23,000).

12 hours ago, ThreePi said:

Honest question of where these jobs are coming from when the tech sector seems to be on a killing spree regarding jobs. 

Tech sector is laying off people because they hired too much based on the tech boom caused by Covid lockdowns. 

1 hour ago, outsida said:

Tech sector is laying off people because they hired too much based on the tech boom caused by Covid lockdowns. 

I was one of the people hired by a tech company during the COVID expansions. Just in my immediate team of around 15, in the last year and a half we've lost 4, and my company in general lost several thousand employees. I think the only reason we aren't (currently) going through more of that is because they haven't replaced those that left from the layoffs or just from regular attrition. :s

• 2 weeks later...

The chicken wing nonsense isn’t even an inflation problem.  They used to be almost nothing because basically no one used them for anything outside of stock.  Now they’re very desirable, and you can’t scale production in the same way.  You can’t breed bigger to solve the problem, and an order of wings is bare minimum three chickens.  

4 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

The chicken wing nonsense isn’t even an inflation problem.  They used to be almost nothing because basically no one used them for anything outside of stock.  Now they’re very desirable, and you can’t scale production in the same way.  You can’t breed bigger to solve the problem, and an order of wings is bare minimum three chickens.  

No, it’s Biden’s fault!

35 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

The chicken wing nonsense isn’t even an inflation problem.

I never said it was, I just think  the price creep over 2-3 years has been ridiculous :p   
Though, if the wings were bigger than 2-3 years ago I wouldn’t care. Buying them raw and cooking them myself is still cheap AF: I got 10lbs from BJs for like $26. It’s the delis and restaurants jacking prices to insane levels just to cook them and twirl them in sauce.

Just now, LazyPiranha said:

Oh I know, I just think it’s fascinating

I just edited my post as I want to point point out that the big price creep is from the restaurants/delis as raw wings still aren’t too bad (but have gone up, just not as insanely) :p 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...