Update: WB executives believe The Rock leaked "misleading" data to Deadline to make Black Adam look like a financial success

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The trailer felt like it was willing this ss a serious movie with serious stakes with some weirdly placed moments of comic relief...which wouldn't make it that different from the rest of the DCEU. The movie never taking itself seriously is an entirely different story.

Maybe I just don't take DC seriously 

MER172218813404e8465b4b59574455a_blackad
DATEBOOK.SFCHRONICLE.COM

After this mess starring Dwayne Johnson, DC Films and Warner Bros. really need to stop embarrassing themselves with these second-tier superheroes.

Ok there's no WAY it's this bad... damn. Im gonna see it tomorrow out of spite now

11 hours ago, Jason said:

wait they made the alien bird-person who may or may not be from ancient egypt a black person REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What's funny is he's the only reason I'm even remotely interested in seeing this movie. I like that actor and Hawkman looks dope visually in this movie. Brosnan as Dr Fate looks pretty good too. The Rock looks like he does in every other movie he's been in.

saw it today...meh, wasn't the worst DC movie, but it was hardly....umm good. I will say I was thrilled to see Aldis in it. I had no idea he was Hawkman. I don't recall seeing him in the trailer. Yeah they showed Hawkman but with that mask on I didn't know it was him and honestly I hadn't followed any news on the movie. Only knew that Rock and Pierce were in it. Atom Smasher was clearly there for Ant-man-esque comic relief but it completely fell flat. 

4 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

pretty much

the problem with characters like Superman and Black Adam is they are so OP it never feels like there is any chance of them not winning. All the flash, GCI,  and explosions in the world don't mean a damn thing if there doesn't feel like there is anything truly at risk. 

I agree with a major DC issue being that many of their main biggest characters all have god like powers… Its what made Man of Steel enjoyable in that for the first time it felt like Superman in big sci-fi where the enemy felt just as unstoppable and callous…

Beyond MOS (that world enjoy lifting and smashing people) all the cgi and destruction always feels and looks detached from affecting anyone…

I like the Rock but this passion project feels as if it might be a miss…

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The Rock is such an interesting celebrity. He’s obviously tremendously popular, and yet he is not a particularly strong box office draw on his own. 

I have no idea if other people feel this way, but since he’s just so widely exposed I don’t feel like I’m going to miss anything if I don’t see him in any specific project; I’ll turn around and he’ll be there too / instead. 

• Halal 2

This movie was terrible. As someone who doesn't read the comics, what, if anything, makes Black Adam different from Shazam? DC also messed up big time not only by not making a movie about its strongest character (Dr. Fate), but also killing him in the same film they introduced him in. And Dr. Fate, as a character is FAAAAAR more interesting than any of the heroes they've made movies about to date. 

But Black Adam was just generic and all over the place. Hopefully James Gunn can right the ship, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath. 

18 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The Rock is such an interesting celebrity. He’s obviously tremendously popular, and yet he is not a particularly strong box office draw on his own. 

At Thanksgiving I was trying to get my mom to guess the name of this movie and she couldn't come up with it. In fact DC movies are so, I don't know what to call them - not embedded in culture? - that I asked her to name ANY DC movie (other than Batman or Superman) and she kept naming marvel movies. So yeah maybe if people knew this was a movie they would have seen it.

51 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

DC also messed up big time not only by not making a movie about its strongest character (Dr. Fate), but also killing him in the same film they introduced him in. And Dr. Fate, as a character is FAAAAAR more interesting than any of the heroes they've made movies about to date. 

Dr Fate gets a replacement as anyone who watches Young Justice knows but to your point, I think DC knew how weak the character and story was for this movie because it's both a Black Adam movie AND a Justice Society movie. Also in the comics, Black Adam was a villain until recently (probably because of The Rock wanting to make this movie) He was basically Shazam's "Venom", an evil version of main character. I watched this over Thanksgiving with my nieces and nephews and most of them clowned it. There were some decent action scenes in the third act, but the movie was overall pretty weak despite some pretty solid elements. (All of the cast was good and I LOVE the actress who played the mom... I'm thinking she's eventually going to become Isis (Although they'll probably change the name :p)

37 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So yeah maybe if people knew this was a movie they would have seen it.

It was pretty well marketed and The Rock is one of the most reconizable people on the planet. I'm curious to see how well this does on streaming and pay per view. I think it was smart for them to release it for home viewing around Thanksgiving... I expect Wakanda to be on Disney+ around Christmas as well.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Dr Fate gets a replacement as anyone who watches Young Justice knows but to your point, I think DC knew how weak the character and story was for this movie because it's both a Black Adam movie AND a Justice Society movie. Also in the comics, Black Adam was a villain until recently (probably because of The Rock wanting to make this movie) He was basically Shazam's "Venom", an evil version of main character. I watched this over Thanksgiving with my nieces and nephews and most of them clowned it. There were some decent action scenes in the third act, but the movie was overall pretty weak despite some pretty solid elements. (All of the cast was good and I LOVE the actress who played the mom... I'm thinking she's eventually going to become Isis (Although they'll probably change the name :p)

It was pretty well marketed and The Rock is one of the most reconizable people on the planet. I'm curious to see how well this does on streaming and pay per view. I think it was smart for them to release it for home viewing around Thanksgiving... I expect Wakanda to be on Disney+ around Christmas as well.

That's one of the best things about Dr. Fate, that for some reason DC just doesn't get - none of their heroes are relatable, in pretty much any capacity. Dr. Fate can be anyone - the helmet chooses the hero. There's so damn much they can do with the character.