Update: WB executives believe The Rock leaked "misleading" data to Deadline to make Black Adam look like a financial success

4 hours ago, Brick said:

Yeah weird they are giving him, a villain, his own movie instead of having him be the antagonist for Shazam 2.

It’s because he isn’t just a villain. In recent years they’ve given him more of a antihero personality and arc. His story and overall power are def interesting enough to have his own movie. 

9 hours ago, Brick said:

I see. I'm sure they'll have him cross paths with Shazam soon enough though. 

That should be a fun movie. I just hope at some point they really convey that Shazam and Black Adam are both two of the strongest characters in any comic universe. Both are arguably stronger than Superman. 

17 hours ago, Brick said:

Yeah weird they are giving him, a villain, his own movie instead of having him be the antagonist for Shazam 2.

If I remember correctly he was actually given choice over whether he would play Shazam or Black Adam. He chose Black Adam but part of the deal is that he would get his own movie.

16 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

That should be a fun movie. I just hope at some point they really convey that Shazam and Black Adam are both two of the strongest characters in any comic universe. Both are arguably stronger than Superman. 

Little by little, I get the impression that DC wants Superman to be considered the strongest. It was one of the things I noticed with DC Universe Online, where the beginning cut scene is a fight between all of the heroes and villains, and when Superman comes up against Black Adam, Supes basically tears him down with his heat vision when they clash. I sometimes get the impression they're constantly going back and forth on exactly how powerful Superman really is.

Shazam was fun, but it was pretty lighthearted. Not really knowing anything about Black Adam, it feels odd for him to get his own movie and for it to be so dour by comparison. Maybe it'll be a good film, but it seems oddly positioned even in this increasingly fractured DCU.

• 7 months later...

Well, it didn't look as dour as I think we all thought, based on that trailer anyway. I did like that they made it clear Black Adam kills people, because pivoting Shazam's main villain into an anti-hero seems strange, though it can work. I wonder if Shazam will be in this, feels like he'd need to be, though filming on Shazam 2 has also wrapped. Also Pierce Brosnan as Doctor Fate is a great choice at least.

I'm not sure if the movie will be good or bad, it seemed pretty standard with some pretty cool parts to it to me, nothing really blew me away here but it has potential. You guys know I like to break things down, and the three person writing crew credited so far on this project is strange: the first few drafts were written by Adam Sztykiel, who has co-writing credits on tepid films like Made of Honor, Due Date, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip, Rampage (his connection to Johnson to get the gig for Black Adam's screenplay), and the animated film Scoob. That's pretty disheartening. However, the final few drafts were written by screenwriting duo Rory Haines and Sohrab Noshirvani, responsible for writing the excellent British miniseries Informer from 2018 and co-writing The Mauritanian, a gut wrenching film about Guantanamo Bay I highly recommend from last year directed by Kevin Macdonald (The Last King of Scotland, State of Play, The Eagle, How I Live Now, and Black Sea). So that's very heartening by comparison.

The whole thing is being directed by Jaume Collet-Serra, who I believe will give you a good sense if this will be good or not, depending on how you feel about the films he's made so far, he's not exactly a journeyman as he has flourishes and a bit of his own style but at the same time he definitely is a journeyman director: House of Wax, Goal II: Living the Dream, Orphan, Unknown, Non-Stop, Run All Night, The Shallows, The Commuter, and Jungle Cruise (this is the connection to Johnson for Black Adam). Yes, Collet-Serra is responsible for 4 Liam Neeson action vehicles (Non-Stop is pretty good, Unknown and Run All Night are solid, The Commuter is meh). Orphan is a great film, very creepy and I actually thoroughly enjoyed The Shallows, I think that's a bit underrated. Jungle Cruise was okay, I didn't think it was anything special, towards meh as well (audiences seemed to love it though). House of Wax is just bad. It's clear he's as good as his shooting script, if that's good, then the movie will be too it seems.

I’m pretty hyped for this. I love that we’re finally getting into the non Justice league DC superhero’s. Big fan of Collett-Serra. His movies at the very least always have an interesting and moody look and feel. The Shallows is low key one of my favorite horror movies. 

Im not super familiar with Black Adam beyond a few books I read but I thought he was a kind of anti-hero. He always ends up going to far and he’s an outright villain most of the time, but I thought I remembered him doing some good stuff from time to time 

• Like 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Black Adam (29 July 2022) - Official Trailer 1
4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I’m pretty hyped for this. I love that we’re finally getting into the non Justice league DC superhero’s. Big fan of Collett-Serra. His movies at the very least always have an interesting and moody look and feel. The Shallows is low key one of my favorite horror movies. 

Im not super familiar with Black Adam beyond a few books I read but I thought he was a kind of anti-hero. He always ends up going to far and he’s an outright villain most of the time, but I thought I remembered him doing some good stuff from time to time 

He is definitely an anti-hero in the comics from time to time, but not sure what plan they have in terms of positioning him relative to Shazam, who is very overtly a hero in the movies.

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This looks less “dark” than I was afraid of, but more “edgy” with that whole “I do” line, so that’s kind of a wash. Aside from that The Rock looks like he’s having a good time which usually means good things. 

I agree that "edgy" is probably a fitting descriptor for what we got in that trailer, but that's not exactly selling me on the film.

When it comes to DC taking big swings, I remain skeptical.

• Like 1
  • True 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

This comes out in a couple of weeks and it's weird to me that most of the ads I see feature Hawkman in them. I wonder why... does he steal the show or something? He's even on some of the posters I've seen with The Rock's Black Adam. Honestly the only reason I'm even remotely interested in seeing this is because of the Justice Society.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This comes out in a couple of weeks and it's weird to me that most of the ads I see feature Hawkman in them. I wonder why... does he steal the show or something? He's even on some of the posters I've seen with The Rock's Black Adam. Honestly the only reason I'm even remotely interested in seeing this is because of the Justice Society.

Doesn't the reaction embargo lift pretty soon? I mean, those are normally uselessly positive, but I can't help but be curious.

• 2 weeks later...

The movie is not great, but mostly fun. It also is not particularly "dark", it is intentionally light hearted in tone for most of it's run time. Not quite Shazam light, but it is not a serious film

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

But he’s not a hero and he kills people. 

Him killing bad guys and the justice society trying to stop him is played for yuks too :p 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Him killing bad guys and the justice society trying to stop him is played for yuks too :p 

Haven't almost... all the DCEU heroes killed people at this point? I would imagine Blacadam has a higher body count, but Wonder Woman clicks a shitload of heads in the Snyder Cut, so... 

It's interesting because according to the creative team Black Adam had to be edited 3-4 times to get it to a PG-13 rating.

rev-1-bad-cct-034r_high_res_jpeg.jpeg
WWW.SYFY.COM

Black Adam is set to make a killing this Friday at the box office, but the final version of the movie will have less kills in it than originally planned.

4 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

No. Basically everything @sblfilmsposted is what I took away from the trailers. 

😅

The trailer felt like it was willing this ss a serious movie with serious stakes with some weirdly placed moments of comic relief...which wouldn't make it that different from the rest of the DCEU. The movie never taking itself seriously is an entirely different story.