Update: WB executives believe The Rock leaked "misleading" data to Deadline to make Black Adam look like a financial success

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Didn't he get into some beef with an IGN tweet too? He really wants this movie to succeed. :p

He did, yeah. I think a Black Panther/Black Adam comparison he thought wasn't fair. I mean, I get it, but it doesn't seem like something worth exhausting time over.

Watched this yesterday. It's... fine. I'd put it at Thor The Dark World level and I like that even though I think it's the worst of the MCU movies. Perhaps relatedly, I think it suffers from some of the same problems.

I don't think this movie really knows what it wants to be. If you want to establish Black Adam as a character who indiscriminately kills people and that this trait makes him dangerous at minimum and a villain at worst... maybe don't have a child celebrate as Black Adam butchers people? If you want to have The Justice Society be a necessary force for good around the globe... maybe don't have another character call them out on ignoring their country for decades without giving them a viable retort? The X-Men movies have set the bar pretty high for "guy does something cool in slo mo and then we see the consequences in real time" and this movie's take on that doesn't even leave the ground in an attempt to clear it.

The cast all foes a pretty good job with what they're given in any specific scene, it just never really comes together. That makes it better than most of the DCEU movies, I guess. And I know the DCEU is more or less toast now, but did I miss something? Amanda Walker not only has the Justice League on speed dial but Superman just... shows up someplace she asks him to go in 5 seconds?

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

And I know the DCEU is more or less toast now, but did I miss something? Amanda Walker not only has the Justice League on speed dial but Superman just... shows up someplace she asks him to go in 5 seconds?

See, the issue here is that Viola Davis is a wildly talented actress and she seems happy to cash those WB checks, so like why not.

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Amanda Walker not only has the Justice League on speed dial but Superman just... shows up someplace she asks him to go in 5 seconds?

what annoys me about that is then why did we start with the B-squad if she could have sent Superman and probably also Shazam? 

yeah, it was an ok movie. Everything after rescuing the kid felt out of place and tacked on. I also could have done with a little less of the justice society’s younger members. 

57 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

what annoys me about that is then why did we start with the B-squad if she could have sent Superman and probably also Shazam? 

tbf this is a thing in superhero comics in general, that there's pretty much always a stronger superhero the main hero of the comic could have called in a favor from right from the get-go to solve their problem in a couple of pages, you just have to accept it as part of superhero stories

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yeah, it was an ok movie. Everything after rescuing the kid felt out of place and tacked on. I also could have done with a little less of the justice society’s younger members. 

The B-squad she believed would follow orders like commit war crimes, murder people and just let civilians die. 

9 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Apparently Rock was asked to cameo in Shazam or the sequel and he said “NO I WANNA FIGHT SUPERMAN BECAUSE BLACK ADAM IS AN A-LISTER” and the rest of the world asked “who the fuck is Black Adam?”

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jason said:

tbf this is a thing in superhero comics in general, that there's pretty much always a stronger superhero the main hero of the comic could have called in a favor from right from the get-go to solve their problem in a couple of pages, you just have to accept it as part of superhero stories

yeah, it’s just easier to ignore when they don’t  tell you they could have shown up sooner. You can suspend disbelief that maybe Superman is just busy or that Waller didn’t want to or couldn’t go to Superman. It would have make more sense at the end of the movie for a member of the Justice league to contact him. Like Batman or Martian Manhunter. As it was the events of the movie that drew their attention to him, and then Superman shows up. 

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Don't make me want to watch 

If it helps, I got an uncontrollable urge to fall asleep about 20 minutes from the end so I had to turn it off. I’ll finish it today to finish it, but it’s certainly really terrible. I definitely don’t think it’s even better than other Dc movies or anything like that. 

I watched Samaritan recently and that’s almost the exact same movie right down to the weird moral placements of who and why is a bad guy in their worlds (Samaritan, the bad guys just seemed kinda correct for the most part, here most of the bad guys are bad guys but for some reason the good guys save bad guys and fight a bad guy who is the good guy) and Samaritan while by no means a great movie is much much better. 

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

If it helps, I got an uncontrollable urge to fall asleep about 20 minutes from the end so I had to turn it off. I’ll finish it today to finish it, but it’s certainly really terrible. I definitely don’t think it’s even better than other Dc movies or anything like that. 

I watched Samaritan recently and that’s almost the exact same movie right down to the weird moral placements of who and why is a bad guy in their worlds (Samaritan, the bad guys just seemed kinda correct for the most part, here most of the bad guys are bad guys but for some reason the good guys save bad guys and fight a bad guy who is the good guy) and Samaritan while by no means a great movie is much much better. 

Phew, I got bored reading this

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Phew, I got bored reading this

The movie starts with a lore dump so boring I really feel they should have been able to just see that and tell right away that they might want to rethink this whole thing.

The movie is only so bad it’s good in the way that it’s funny to think about it’s contrast in reception and quality compared to how The Rock feels about it. But you can enjoy that without having to suffer through it.