Marvel's Midnight Suns ("its a fucking card battle game basically lol" - Firewithin) - Information Thread, update: "Blood Storm" DLC to release on May 11, Switch version cancelled

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Ok. Trying it now. The early game has a very high cut scene to gameplay ratio. Kojima would be proud. 

It definitely has a slow opening. Between cutscenes and showing you the sanctuary, it takes a while to get to the meat of the game. 

• True 1

7 hours ago, stepee said:

I tried the new one and hated it, I never played that type of game and generally really dislike all strategy turn or real time. Only one I like is a little like Xcom, Mario vs Rabbids, but Mario is doing heavy lifting there for me.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I dunno, this is somehow deeper and more simplified (it's more of a battle-area than a big map to have to slowly move through), plus, it's marvel characters. Give it a shot since it's free. There's two or three battles in the first 5 minutes so you'll have an idea right there.

Yeah I think this is the perfect game for you in particular ( @stepee ) to give a shot because it's really not Xcom. It's very simplified over those games and the social aspect and cards will probably give it a different flavor for you.

Thank god for this demo , i can safely say it kept me from wasting my money.

Terrible Plot 

Atrocious VA

Dialog is B tier that attempts to mimic the MCU and lets be honest MCU dialog aint great. Everything is fucking snarky, its trite shit. Marvel has a huge catalog of characters and instead of venturing out they go the Star Wars route and just keep reusing the same cast .

Visuals are PS4 era at best

My rant is over

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

Thank god for this demo , i can safely say it kept me from wasting my money.

Terrible Plot 

Atrocious VA

Dialog is B tier that attempts to mimic the MCU and lets be honest MCU dialog aint great. Everything is fucking snarky, its trite shit. Marvel has a huge catalog of characters and instead of venturing out they go the Star Wars route and just keep reusing the same cast .

Visuals are PS4 era at best

My rant is over

Counterpoint: You can paint with Blade

So, after about 5 hours the game gets much better.  That first 5 hours is not great

Not because the graphics, VA, acting or story gets better -- but because the ratio of gameplay to story gets much better.  And the gameplay is pure Marvel "Slay the Spire" -- and Slay the Spire is a great game.

I ended up buying it -- despite the frequent crashes to desktop in the Abbey.  [And yes, I've tried the fix where I boot the game avoiding the 2K launcher.]

• Like 1
  • True 1

On 2/17/2023 at 2:19 AM, Spork3245 said:

45932057-FB24-418-A-9-F7-F-DF868-A75754-

PC people, please give this a shot. Game is so underrated it’s ridiculous. If it wasn’t for God of War Ragnarok and Elden Ring it may have been my GotY. No, really, it’s that good.

@stepee @Mr.Vic20 @Zaku3 @AbsolutSurgen @Paperclyp  @Xbob42 @Keyser_Soze @othersI’mforgetting

Did you get the DLC?

24 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

So, this is crashing like crazy on my PC after the new patch.  Last night, everytime I tried to go to sleep (required to move to next day), it would freeze and crash.

Switched over to Steam Deck and it is working fine.

the office rage GIF

Do you have DLSS3 enabled? The implementation has been a mess with this game.

I don't know how I completely missed this one. I'm a big fan of slay the spire and XCom, but the impressions still seem so mixed even at $36 I'm not so sure. I'd probably give it a try if Lightfall wasn't dropping tomorrow. From what I can tell it's been priced at $40 for about half the time it's been out, so it's probably not a really limited time deal.

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Do you have DLSS3 enabled? The implementation has been a mess with this game.

7 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I do.  I may try disabling it and playing it again tonight.

Still crashes almost instantly on my PC.

Still plays perfectly on my Steam Deck.

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I don't know how I completely missed this one. I'm a big fan of slay the spire and XCom, but the impressions still seem so mixed even at $36 I'm not so sure. I'd probably give it a try if Lightfall wasn't dropping tomorrow. From what I can tell it's been priced at $40 for about half the time it's been out, so it's probably not a really limited time deal.

The first five hours aren't good.  It's 70% story and dialog, not the typical Western kind, but the cringey Japanese-RPG kind where the characters talk to each other about the problems they had growing up.  It's also incredibly easy.

After that, the story component of the game becomes much less manageable.  New difficulties open up and the game can become challenging.  It is essentially Slay the Spire, but with (usually) a party of three with a common card pool, and a somewhat deep strategy system.  It also has an Open Critic rating in the 80s.  It might get cheaper, but I don't regret purchasing it (in spite of the technology challenges I'm having).

Still crashes almost instantly on my PC.

Still plays perfectly on my Steam Deck.

Oh it’s an instant crash? When you open the game or when you try to load your save? Other games are fine, correct?

The first five hours aren't good.  It's 70% story and dialog, not the typical Western kind, but the cringey Japanese-RPG kind where the characters talk to each other about the problems they had growing up.  It's also incredibly easy.

After that, the story component of the game becomes much less manageable.  New difficulties open up and the game can become challenging.  It is essentially Slay the Spire, but with (usually) a party of three with a common card pool, and a somewhat deep strategy system.  It also has an Open Critic rating in the 80s.  It might get cheaper, but I don't regret purchasing it (in spite of the technology challenges I'm having).

Yea, the first 4-5 hours is basically tutorial/introduction 

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh it’s an instant crash? When you open the game or when you try to load your save? Other games are fine, correct?

Yea, the first 4-5 hours is basically tutorial/introduction 

It doesn't crash instantly.  It crashes when I do something (i.e. talk with someone, end the day, open Arcane chest, etc.) in the Abbey.

The tutorial part isn't my concern, it's that is elongated by the cringey Abbey discussions/exploration.  [You need to do it, because "friendship" affects the game, and mechanics like the Cauldron (for crafting) are behind progression in the Abbey.]  IMHO, the pacing of the first 5 hours is bad, because so much of that time is spent in the Abbey.  I don't really have a problem with the main "story", but going to book club to help Blade get romantically involved with Captain Marvel is not what I am looking for in a game.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It doesn't crash instantly.  It crashes when I do something (i.e. talk with someone, end the day, open Arcane chest, etc.) in the Abbey.

Hmm, I’m not having that issue, I’ll check on the subreddit to see if anyone else is getting crashes. You’re running the latest nvidia drivers, correct?

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The tutorial part isn't my concern, it's that is elongated by the cringey Abbey discussions/exploration.  [You need to do it, because "friendship" affects the game, and mechanics like the Cauldron (for crafting) are behind progression in the Abbey.]  IMHO, the pacing of the first 5 hours is bad, because so much of that time is spent in the Abbey.  I don't really have a problem with the main "story", but going to book club to help Blade get romantically involved with Captain Marvel is not what I am looking for in a game.

Yes, I consider that part of the “introduction” to the game’s mechanics, which is why I said “tutorial/introduction”. It’s very prolonged until you just get to “play”, but once you’re there the game is fantastic.

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hmm, I’m not having that issue, I’ll check on the subreddit to see if anyone else is getting crashes. You’re running the latest nvidia drivers, correct?

Yes, I consider that part of the “introduction” to the game’s mechanics, which is why I said “tutorial/introduction”. It’s very prolonged until you just get to “play”, but once you’re there the game is fantastic.

There are a number of other people on the Steam forums complaining of similar issues.

10 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I dropped down to DX11 and the crashing went away.

• 1 month later...

RIP in Peace, Switch version.

1280x720.jpg
WWW.NINTENDOLIFE.COM

Acclaimed tactics game is skipping Switch - Firaxis Games and 2K have announced that Marvel's Midnight Suns, last year's c...

Firaxis Games and 2K have announced that Marvel's Midnight Suns, last year's critically acclaimed comic book card-based tactics game, is no longer coming to Switch

Announcing the news alongside the final DLC trailer for the game, publisher 2K confirmed on its official website (via Twitter) that while the game would be coming digitally to PS4 and Xbox One on 11th May — and that all four DLCs will be available day one — "a Nintendo Switch version of Marvel's Midnight Suns is no longer planned." No reason has been given for the Switch port's cancellation.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Marvel's Midnight Suns ("its a fucking card battle game basically lol" - Firewithin) - Information Thread, update: "Blood Storm" DLC to release on May 11, Switch version cancelled
2 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

well that stinks that they cancelled the switch version..won't be able to play then :( I really need to get a next gen (current gen) console one of these days 

It’s coming out on PS4 + Xbone on 5/11 still 

• Halal 1

At some point I will pick this up it looks like something I would sink a lot of time into. I'm thinking either a Venom/Morbius/Blade team or possibly Venom/Dr. Strange/Ghost Rider. I do hope my 970 can handle it though... if they are getting it to run on last gen consoles I'm assuming it will handle it fine (my cpu is a lot better than the PS4's and I have more RAM).

16 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It really is worth playing.  I would have thought they could simplify the graphics enough to work on Switch. 

I still need to get to this, but honestly, more devs should cancel their Switch ports. They are always shadows of the game on other consoles. I full Expect Hogwarts Legacy to get cancelled over there as well, after the ps4 version drops this month.

• True 1

Marvel's-Midnight-Suns-pigeons.jpg?width
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We chat to Marvel's Midnight Suns' creative director Jake Solomon about what got cut from the turn-based tactics game as it headed closer to launch.

Marvel's Midnight Suns may be a turn-based tactics game first and foremost, but it also has a substantial RPG element that drives both the story and the interpersonal dramas of its superhero teams between missions. When you and your squad head back to your Abbey HQ, there are side stories and quests to investigate around the Abbey grounds, items to find, and more. It's a sizable part of the game, but at one point it was even bigger, creative director Jake Solomon tells me at GDC.

"It's crazy, if you go online, you can see all the Midnight Suns cutscenes and they're three hours long. That's as long as a movie," he says. But during the last year of development Solomon reveals "we cut 30 conversations from the game, like 30 scenes. We cut a ton, because we realised this is just simply too much."

Solomon cites two main reasons for enacting these cuts: "Number one, it's too much for the team. They already had so much that they were working on. And two, for the player. There a lot of these things that were not necessary conversations, and so we ended up cutting [them] in the last year [of development]."

Of course, he's fully aware that Marvel's Midnight Suns is still a "very, very big game", even with all the cuts they made. He also says he still loves how long the final version ended up being. "I love being able to lose myself in a game like that," he says. But as creative director, he was also very aware of the effect its size would have on his wider team, and he goes on to say there was "a concerted effort" among him and his fellow developers at Firaxis to find ways of trimming the story down.

"The team needs breathing room," he tells me. "They're drowning under all this narrative we piled on them, and so we said, 'All right, any conversation, is it really necessary?' And it was like, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut, cut."

Alas, Solomon didn't go into detail about what those 30-odd scenes would have entailed, sadly, but he does tease that he still receives messages from Midnight Suns' previous narrative director Chad Rocco about how certain scenes "would have been perfect" if they'd stayed in. "We're very close, but he still texts me angrily about it," he laughs. "But we had enough. When you ship the game, you realise, 'Oh, there's plenty.' There was so much there."