Starlink passes "strategically notable number of 69,420 active users".

getty-elon-musk-mwc-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Musk expects near-global coverage in August and up to 500,000 users in one year.

"We recently passed the strategically notable number of 69,420 active users," Musk said. "We are on our way to having a few hundred thousand users, possibly over 500,000 users, within 12 months."

4 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I'm so sick of Elon and all the shit he's involved in. 

Also, Starlink fucking sucks. 

The only good thing about Starlink is that because rural people use it, my province's government-owned telco is massively expanding fiber service into small towns to compete.

25 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I'm so sick of Elon and all the shit he's involved in. 

Also, Starlink fucking sucks. 

How bad is it? I work with a few people on Starlink and their connections are night and day compared to the DSL they were previously on.

Besides adding to the space junk problem, what issues are there with Starlink? 100/20 service with decent latency pretty much anywhere on earth seems pretty good.

13 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I do not have Starlink, but everyone that I know (which at this point is like 3-4 people) that DOES have it are very underwhelmed with not only speeds, but consistency. 

Again, for people with really shitty alternatives, it is a game changer. If people are expecting normal broadband speeds, yeah, it will be underwhelming.

poster-starlink.jpg
WWW.FASTCOMPANY.COM

SpaceX’s founder says that Starlink’s 1,500 low-orbit satellites aim to provide broadband to the hardest-to-reach people, not the masses.

I think it's kind of a game changer in that with work from home you could probably move to Appalachia or one of the many empty spaces in the middle of the country and still have reasonably reliable Internet.  I used to know a lady that used Hughes Net because it was the only option, it was not great.  Shitty caps, latency that could be measured in seconds, and slow speeds.

36 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I do not have Starlink, but everyone that I know (which at this point is like 3-4 people) that DOES have it are very underwhelmed with not only speeds, but consistency. 

The network isn't fully built out yet.  I think when you sign up right now (which is still in beta AFAIK), they make it clear there will be periods of no connectivity due to no satellite being overhead.  

This is one of the reasons why I passed on being a user at this point.  Although my Cox internet is expensive, it's fairly reliable.  I WFH enough and am attending school online so I need a consistent connection.  I'll probably reconsider Starlink in a year or two once they get more sats up. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Besides adding to the space junk problem, what issues are there with Starlink? 100/20 service with decent latency pretty much anywhere on earth seems pretty good.

Musk is a part of it. For some people, that's literally their problem with it.

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

Compared to what, though? The only people I know that signed up for Starlink had their choices limited to Starlink or like 12/4 DSL. It still is in beta, though, so I do know they still blink out every so often as more satellites are thrown up into orbit. Anyone with access to any kind of not-DSL Internet options, even if they're shitty compared to other parts of the country, probably shouldn't bother with Starlink.

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Compared to what, though? The only people I know that signed up for Starlink had their choices limited to Starlink or like 12/4 DSL. It still is in beta, though, so I do know they still blink out every so often as more satellites are thrown up into orbit. Anyone with access to any kind of not-DSL Internet options, even if they're shitty compared to other parts of the country, probably shouldn't bother with Starlink.

Exactly. It's literally for those who just can't get decent broadband. It was never designed for cities in America. Its for the millions who still don't have acceptable internet.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Everyone I know that's done it has been in the city with either Comcast or AT&T. They did it because they jerk off to Musk and want to be on the bleeding edge of the future. 

It would be great for my dad, for instance, who lives within a mile of a Charter node that they refuse to run down his road without him paying for it. Not so much my moron friends that could get way better speeds with the devil they know.

17 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Everyone I know that's done it has been in the city with either Comcast or AT&T. They did it because they jerk off to Musk and want to be on the bleeding edge of the future. 

It would be great for my dad, for instance, who lives within a mile of a Charter node that they refuse to run down his road without him paying for it. Not so much my moron friends that could get way better speeds with the devil they know.

Your friends totally skipped the not so fine print on Starlink. If they want bleeding edge, they should sign up for some business class, symmetrical fiber for like $1k a month.

The guys I know on Starlink all live out in fly over country or had moved out into the wilderness because working remote from a literally cabin in the woods is possible now. Well, I only know one person that did latter. Everyone else was like on the fringe of DSL out in like nowhere Oklahoma. For those guys, it was the difference between barely being able to hear them over Zoom to them actually being able to join a meeting with video. Like I said, night and day for them.

Anyone giving up cable for Starlink is crazy. Anyone giving up Fiber for Starlink should have their Internet privileges revoked.

19 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Anyone giving up cable for Starlink is crazy. Anyone giving up Fiber for Starlink should have their Internet privileges revoked.

Cox and Century Link serve the Las Vegas area, but only Cox is in my neighborhood, which means that's my only high speed choice.  But like I said, it may make sense for me to go with Starlink in the future (if we stay in this neighborhood) because Cox is costing us over $150 a month for just internet. 

38 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Your friends totally skipped the not so fine print on Starlink. If they want bleeding edge, they should sign up for some business class, symmetrical fiber for like $1k a month.

The guys I know on Starlink all live out in fly over country or had moved out into the wilderness because working remote from a literally cabin in the woods is possible now. Well, I only know one person that did latter. Everyone else was like on the fringe of DSL out in like nowhere Oklahoma. For those guys, it was the difference between barely being able to hear them over Zoom to them actually being able to join a meeting with video. Like I said, night and day for them.

Right. Like I said, they're sold out for Musk. That's why. 

I remember reading a thread on a Canadian deals forum and most thought the service was pretty great. Some, well a good chunk of areas don’t have the high speed service but Starlink seems like a godsend. Someone said their Starlink connection fluctuates from an average of 60Mbps to as high as 220Mbps wirelessly. I believe they were from either Nova Scotia or Newfoundland 

Starlink is a game changer for a lot of people I know. People in towns often times have 3 mb down DSL guys or fixed wireless with random packet loss. I think some of you live in cities and don't associate with people in rural areas so  perhaps you do not understand. Musk is not relevant to these people. It's the technology.

I also look forward to having flights with decent Internet in the future.

I want universal rural broadband if only to kill musk's project.

I also think if you're a white collar worker working remotely you absolutely should not live in the rural hinterlands; small rural communities should be fine enough. Leave the wild be and leave the good land for crops.

I’m curious as to whether a low orbit sat network is the best means of getting broadband service into rural communities in a nation the size of America? Running fiber is expensive and often difficult due to property rights issues, so maybe you use the sat network to get the node into the rural community and then got fiber to the home from there?

Just thinking about all the little communities in west and south Texas that are 300+ miles away from any major city and what it would take to get fiber to those regions.

• 1 year later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/spacex-appeals-fcc-starlink/amp/

SpaceX appealed the Federal Communications Commission’s reversal of Starlink’s infrastructure award of $885.5 million. The appeal was filed electronically and hand-delivered to FCC Secretary Marlene Dortch.

In the executive summary, it said that the decision to exclude Starlink from the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund (RDOF) was flawed in both matters of law and policy. According to the document,

“It fails legally because it contradicts the record—including SpaceX’s and Starlink’s proven capabilities—it contradicts the Commission’s stated rules for the program, and it rests on unsupported conjecture and outside-the-record information apparently cherry-picked from somewhere on the Internet.”

• Sicko 1

Apparently starlink has the same base conceptual issues that all his other projects have and that's skipping right to possibilities and straight past practicalities.

In order to make this project work it requires an unsustainable amount of rockets and space trash, even just to get out of the proof of concept stage it's in now.

• True 1

There are three types that starlink is meant for, in no particular order:

1.) people who frequent areas with no service, like ships (example).

2.) people who do not have reliable/decent land based broadband options available (ie: the 12 people who live in Wyoming), so comparing it to something from major cities/populous areas isn’t fair.

3.) people who are in love with Elon and will buy anything/everything he makes (ie: people who actually preordered the cybertruck).