Skyrim is older than Morrowind was when Skyrim released

SaysWho?

You know, time flowing doesn't weird me out as much anymore (but the fact that it goes so quickly I still don't like lol), but with the re-releases Skyrim has gotten, it certainly didn't feel as old as Morrowind did when Skyrim released.

The thing I actually find most interesting is we're now two generations from Skyrim, whereas that nine year gap was just one!

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

That's what happens when instead of releasing a new Elder Scrolls game you just keep re-releasing Skyrim five times. Same thing will happen with GTA V compared to past games. At least we know TESVI is coming. 

Real talk I would guess the Skyrim re-releases are a very minor reason for the long gap in major releases. 

Bethesda Game Studios hasn't released a single player game since Fallout 4, which came out 5.5 years ago

Rockstar North hasn't released a single player game since GTA V, which came out 7.5 years ago

Blizzard hasn't released a single player game since Diablo III, which came out 9 years ago

At least we know Starfield should be coming out potentially this year. Rockstar isn't even working on anything right now as far as anyone knows (that goes for all Rockstar studios, not just North). Blizzard will release Diablo 4... eventually. Though I have doubts that you could even attempt to play that one single-player. Diablo III was already a grind for that.

It's almost like talented developers being bought out by money hungry publishers is bad. I think Sony and Microsoft are still putting out single player experiences because they have other motives besides simply monetizing their games as much as possible (they want to sell systems and having more games rather than one highly monetized one achieves that goal)

I'm honestly surprised Square Enix and Ubisoft are still cranking out single player games as much as they are. They obviously still try to put microtransactions and whatnot in their games, but they're at least still making the damn things on a regular basis.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

GIF by TV Land

I'm not, and I'm worried they'll do that thing where if it isn't done by holiday season this year, they'll push it all the way to NEXT holiday season. Can't have that coming out in March, everyone knows people don't buy major release video games in March.

12 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm not, and I'm worried they'll do that thing where if it isn't done by holiday season this year, they'll push it all the way to NEXT holiday season. Can't have that coming out in March, everyone knows people don't buy major release video games in March.

I was watching a podcast and one of the people brought up an interesting point; Halo Infinite was supposed to come out last year. Now it's coming out this year. What else did MS have lined up to come out this year? Surely they weren't going to release Halo and then wait for two years for anything else to come out. 

I think with Game Pass, Microsoft might be throwing out the traditional big release windows and start drip-feeding releases throughout the year in order to keep the subs up. We very well might start seeing a Starfield-caliber release in Spring 2022. Hell, maybe we'll even see Starfield itself in the spring. 

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

RDR2 is and will be for quite some time the most immersive videogame out. You guy's can complain about the controls all day long but the environment and AI in that game are off the charts. 

Also, I went back to Skyrim last year while drinking and still had a good time with it. The beer might have had something to do with that, though. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

The plague of making online games destroying classic franchises is still going strong, though in Fallouts case they did that before 76 released.

Most classic franchises destroy themselves without any help from online games. 

Plus, the only good FF game in nearly 20 years is an online game.