COBRA KAI - Official Thread - Season 4 now streaming on Netflix

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I liked the first two episodes of season 1 that you could watch for free, but not enough to pay for a sub when all their other content looked like trash. I’m also too lazy to pirate. This is good news!

The show is fantastic, you’re in for a treat.

I did the free month of paid YouTube to watch S1 and got too spoiled by no ads to cancel :p 

I loved S1, was at C2E2 ahead of season 2 where Ralph & William were present talking about the show. I never did watch the second season however because, yeah not going to subscribe to that service. I recall Youtube stating down the road the eps would be released for free however that never happened that I saw. I think moving to Netflix is a great move and will most assuredly get even more eyes on the show. Not only does it hit the nostalgia factor for those who grew up watching the original trilogy of films, but the beats of the youth in this new show seemingly hit so many demographics. Awesome news to hear for sure. 

I just binged the show, and man I really did not expect this show to go where it did in that season 2 finale. I enjoyed almost every character, except

Spoiler

#FuckRobby

For the majority of his screen time I always found his character to be bland and shitty.  Then they turn him into an idiot in that finale. 

On 6/22/2020 at 6:20 PM, sblfilms said:

I liked the first two episodes of season 1 that you could watch for free, but not enough to pay for a sub when all their other content looked like trash. I’m also too lazy to pirate. This is good news!

I have YouTube Red.  It's a pretty fantastic deal when you consider it also includes Google Play Music (Soon to be YouTube Music).  Having Google for all my music and an ad free experience on YouTube is a hell of a deal for me for $9.99 a month. 

7 hours ago, vaxick said:

I have YouTube Red.  It's a pretty fantastic deal when you consider it also includes Google Play Music (Soon to be YouTube Music).  Having Google for all my music and an ad free experience on YouTube is a hell of a deal for me for $9.99 a month. 

What? How is it only $9.99 for you? YouTube Red/Premium is $16/month, even if I just downgraded to Music it’s still $13/month

EDIT: I guess the cost went up to $12, and apparently if you join on iOS you get charged an extra $4/month because Apple :|

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

What? How is it only $9.99 for you? YouTube Red/Premium is $16/month, even if I just downgraded to Music it’s still $13/month

EDIT: I guess the cost went up to $12, and apparently if you join on iOS you get charged an extra $4/month because Apple :|

You should see if you can find an alternative means to sign up as once you sign up, you should be locked in at that price.  Had no idea Google charged extra if you did it through an iPhone.  I had an iPhone for a year, but my sub never went up in price as I had signed up on an Android phone prior.  

38 minutes ago, vaxick said:

You should see if you can find an alternative means to sign up as once you sign up, you should be locked in at that price.  Had no idea Google charged extra if you did it through an iPhone.  I had an iPhone for a year, but my sub never went up in price as I had signed up on an Android phone prior.  

Yea, I cancelled on my iPhone and rejoined on my PC, I also used my fiancé’s college info and now it’s $7/month

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

It’s been years since I’ve seen the movies. Do I need to rewatch all three before getting into the series or just the first one?

From what I have heard it callbacks exclusively to the first movie. I don't think you really need to rewatch it to "get" the new series, but it would probably increase your appreciation for the nostalgia. So as long as your going to spend the time watching the series might as well spend a little extra time watching the movie.

I think I'll watch the second movie, as well. I don't know if this is a super unpopular opinion, but I actually like the second one more than the first.

Third one is garbage. I wouldn't bother.

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

From what I have heard it callbacks exclusively to the first movie. I don't think you really need to rewatch it to "get" the new series, but it would probably increase your appreciation for the nostalgia. So as long as your going to spend the time watching the series might as well spend a little extra time watching the movie.

I think I'll watch the second movie, as well. I don't know if this is a super unpopular opinion, but I actually like the second one more than the first.

I heard it does a good job of brining newcomers up to speed but it does seem like I’d have more of an emotional connection if I at least watch the first movie beforehand. I haven’t seen it since  I was maybe 6 or 7, so I basically have no memory of what happened.

5 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I heard it does a good job of brining newcomers up to speed but it does seem like I’d have more of an emotional connection if I at least watch the first movie beforehand. I haven’t seen it since  I was maybe 6 or 7, so I basically have no memory of what happened.

Daniel gets beat up dressed as a shower. He is then awkwardly trained by the guy from Happy Days. He enters a tournament where Johnny sweeps the leg. Daniel then uses a gimmicky move to defeat Johnny. After he wins he gets the girl, and then loses her off screen before the 2nd movie. That's my recollection anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Iculus said:

Daniel gets beat up dressed as a shower. He is then awkwardly trained by the guy from Happy Days. He enters a tournament where Johnny sweeps the leg. Daniel then uses a gimmicky move to defeat Johnny. After he wins he gets the girl, and then loses her off screen before the 2nd movie. That's my recollection anyway. 

You missed "wax on, wax off", which is like recapping Independence Day without mentioning aliens:nottalking:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sexy_shapiro said:

It’s been years since I’ve seen the movies. Do I need to rewatch all three before getting into the series or just the first one?

I recommend rewatching the first movie and the first 10-15 minutes of the second.

48 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

It heavily references 1-3, with the second movie’s opening being integral for S2. You could definitely skip 3 and just read a summary or something, though. Thankfully, the fourth movie is completely ignored :p 

I'd say you definitely need to watch the first movie to really get a lot of the subtleties for this show. There's a great show moment where Johnny is recalling his feud with Daniel and explaining how it all started from his point of view. If you only kinda remember the movie, his explanation loses its impact when you can't remember exactly what he's talking about.

19 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

They definitely referenced all 3 movies. They had the drum from 2 and talked about the Bonsai Tree shop from 3. Johnny I think was even asked if he knew Terry Silver. I actually liked Terry Silver as the bad guy in 3.

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Technically there are five Karate Kid movies and a 1 season, 13-episode animated TV series, and Cobra Kai.

5? Are you counting the Jaden Smith reboot?

Edit: I just checked and you have to be. I understand where you’re coming from but that’s a different “universe” and wouldn’t have a connection to Cobra Kai or the other movies. At least #4/The Next Karate Kid was a continuation of Mr. Miyagi’s story. :p 

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I see your Surf Ninjas and raise you Surf Nazis!

spacer.png

Hahaha but at this point you've lost the martial arts angle altogether!

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

5? Are you counting the Jaden Smith reboot?

Edit: I just checked and you have to be. I understand where you’re coming from but that’s a different “universe” and wouldn’t have a connection to Cobra Kai or the other movies. At least #4/The Next Karate Kid was a continuation of Mr. Miyagi’s story. :p 

Haha yes I'm counting it and you're right about a separate universe (or is it?), I just want people to remember it exists. :p