PS5 exclusive Final Fantasy game may be revealed in June (not 16, FF7R, Endwalker)

SaysWho?

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

Me. It is why I made my previous post. 

which is totally different than making a game with shit like Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, Ultra Impossible Death March of the Extremely Insane Nightmare. If they want to patch in an easy mode years later, then sure. I just don't want to see it at launch. Like, I have no issues with how some games get shipped with a harder mode when they are re-released. I think Wind Waker HD did that. 

You make a lot of good points about how difficulty is designed, but the mere existence of difficulty modes is absolutely meaningless. They are separate issues, and taking issue with it is completely bizarre. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I've heard a lot of people talk up X and XII, but it tends to be one or the other from what I've seen.  Lot more positive vibes for them than XIII (series) or XV.

Having played XIII, I'd still call it an above average video game.

A lot of people are fans of FF10 - for the kids introduced to FF from the PS2 generation, for some it's like their FF7. I do not enjoy FF10 myself though. It's plot is more ridiculous and nonsensical than it usually is and the introduction of voice acting really hurts the storytelling (this gets rectified by the time 12 comes out, which has a great dub). 12 is simply more adult, with more gameplay, and much better writing and acting. 10-2 is honestly better than 10 because its more gameplay focused/oriented at least, with a much faster gameplay system which I appreciated more.

13 is not good. I did not enjoy the story or the characters. There are parts I like but not enough to try the sequels (I heard 13-2 ruins the whole thing anyway). 15 is great, but divisive. It honestly depends on whether you are playing the game for the story or just to hunt monsters, have fun, cook food, and hang with your boys. I was of the latter, not the former, so for me 15 was a blast. Probably has the best written/drawn main quartet of characters of any FF.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

Me. It is why I made my previous post. 

which is totally different than making a game with shit like Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, Ultra Impossible Death March of the Extremely Insane Nightmare. If they want to patch in an easy mode years later, then sure. I just don't want to see it at launch. Like, I have no issues with how some games get shipped with a harder mode when they are re-released. I think Wind Waker HD did that. 

Yeah but I don’t buy the idea that doing it from the start fundamentally changes the philosophy of the game design. 

13 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

13 is not good. I did not enjoy the story or the characters. There are parts I like but not enough to try the sequels (I heard 13-2 ruins the whole thing anyway).

I actually don't think the plot itself is so bad.  It's just needlessly convoluted with its terrible naming conventions.  Plus it forces the game into extreme linearity.  Vanille and Hope also drag everything down, and the rest of the cast isn't likable enough to make up for it.

Combat, music and presentation are great though.  Something about it still feels more blockbuster-esque than other games from that era.

13 takes so long for you to know any worthwhile or interesting plot point. And it’s way too obvious about what’s going on so it just gave me this impression that they thought they were gonna spring this revelation on me 10-20 hours into the game and it was just like dude obviously they’re from that other place what else you got. 

Also the linear nature of the game sucked, I personally hated the battle system, I find the characters to be extremely off putting and I could go on. 

36 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I actually don't think the plot itself is so bad.  It's just needlessly convoluted with its terrible naming conventions.  Plus it forces the game into extreme linearity.  Vanille and Hope also drag everything down, and the rest of the cast isn't likable enough to make up for it.

Combat, music and presentation are great though.  Something about it still feels more blockbuster-esque than other games from that era.

I agree on all points. Combat, music, and presentation were all top notch for me as well, but everything else really dragged it down. Like you said, Vanille, and Hope (honestly the whole cast), the early extreme linearity. Etc. Once it opened up it did get better, but I almost never even think about the game these days.

20 hours ago, Bacon said:

It is actually not about how hard it is. This "but more accessible" always sounds like difficulty modes. I don't like them. They are always bad. I'd rather a game be too easy with no options to make it harder, like Zelda, than to make a game where using the options to make it harder means enemies deal more damage and take less damage, generally forcing you to play the game completely differently than you would on an easier difficulty. And by differently I mean lame and shit, not fun. A game that has this shit is Gears of War. The hardest mode isn't fun. You can't run around and blast the AI with your Gnasher. You have to live behind cover, and hit'em from a far. You have far more methods of execution on Normal in Gears. The Hardest limits you to one style of play. 

Dark Souls and Nioh don't have that issue, they are hard, but the entire game is made around that. Every option is viable. And often, hard modes aren't "harder" just more tedious. I mean, like, it is harder, but not harder in anyway that is good. The challenge doesn't come from the design, the challenge comes from changing number values. Maybe the AI will be more aggressive, but they aren't smarter. They just have more health/take less damage so they can mindlessly charge you. I hate all of that when it comes to difficulty. IMO, you don't gain more skill when you play games that treat difficulty like that. Like, I didn't get better when playing TW3 on Death March, instead I just played like a bitch and spammed Quen. I didn't get better at the game's combat, I just got better at remembering to always keep Quen up. 

Hmm I'm not sure I translate "more accessible" to "difficulty modes." I usually assume more fundamental differences in philosophy.

I don't have a problem with difficulty modes existing, and sometimes I do think it works well, but I do agree that many games have lazy difficulty modes.

5 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

13 takes so long for you to know any worthwhile or interesting plot point. And it’s way too obvious about what’s going on so it just gave me this impression that they thought they were gonna spring this revelation on me 10-20 hours into the game and it was just like dude obviously they’re from that other place what else you got. 

Also the linear nature of the game sucked, I personally hated the battle system, I find the characters to be extremely off putting and I could go on. 

I was too distracted by the locales and visuals to really care about the plot being too predictable or slow moving (which a lot of JRPGS are). Presentation did wonders for it... aside from the bad VO and writing.

Loved the combat personally.  Felt like faster ATB, and I really like fast ATB.  So it fit my tastes.  Also had the stagger mechanic stuff.

• Like 1

I enjoyed XIII, I didn't mind the linearity and FF games are generally fairly linear anyway. XIII-2 only ruined XIII's happy ending, in general it was a more interesting game. XIII-3 was surprisingly enjoyable despite being very different and having a time limit.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I was too distracted by the locales and visuals to really care about the plot being too predictable or slow moving (which a lot of JRPGS are). Presentation did wonders for it... aside from the bad VO and writing.

Loved the combat personally.  Felt like faster ATB, and I really like fast ATB.  So it fit my tastes.  Also had the stagger mechanic stuff.

Didn't feel like fast ATB to me since it was so simplified and automated. Your main job wasn't picking skills... it was just choosing stances while the characters fought. It felt really lame. You COULD pick your own skills but it was way slower, but the enemies would attack at the same speed, so it was horrifically inefficient. I dunno, I hate auto-attacks in video games as-is (think it's awful in MMOs and the fact that it's expected is a tragedy) but auto-combat where I'm like "lol okay now switch to healy stance hope you cast the right spells" just made me :| the entire game.

I've been trying to finish FFXIII for a while now. It looks great with Xbox One X enhancements, and I really want to want to finish it, but... eh... all the complaints mentioned in the previous posts. I have all three of the XIII games, and I hear they get better, but damn this is a slog.

This is the only Final Fantasy game I didn't like. Even though I never beat FFXII, I still liked it and intend to get back to it. Hell, I even finished FFIX back in the day and despite that being a cult favorite I really didn't enjoy it that much. And of course FFXV Boy Band Edition was at least tolerable enough to finish up.

I kinda just wish there was a cheat mode for FFXIII so that I could just get through it without really trying. I already got about halfway through the game just spamming attacks, but then the bosses tear me apart because I haven't bothered to learn the battle system :p

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Didn't feel like fast ATB to me since it was so simplified and automated. Your main job wasn't picking skills... it was just choosing stances while the characters fought. It felt really lame. You COULD pick your own skills but it was way slower, but the enemies would attack at the same speed, so it was horrifically inefficient. I dunno, I hate auto-attacks in video games as-is (think it's awful in MMOs and the fact that it's expected is a tragedy) but auto-combat where I'm like "lol okay now switch to healy stance hope you cast the right spells" just made me :| the entire game.

I got nothing against picking stances personally.  It's a trend in a lot of modern JRPGs to automate things now, leaving the player to deviate only when needed.  Even DQXI did it to some degree.

Most importantly, I thought the battles were engaging with the systems that governed them.  There's not a lot of down time, and you had a lot of options to customize the stances to adapt.  Some of the optional challenge bosses also got really difficult.

Most of the time auto-attacking is fine, usually it's just when you want a specific buff or debuff cast that you have to manually select attacks.

As for a FFXIII "cheat", once you get to the open area (Archylte Steppe) you'll likely only be able do beat a few of the enemy types at first but once you're strong enough there is a Behemoth King fighting a Megistotherian in the North West by the entrance to Mah'habara Subterra. Since they're fighting each other you can get an easy preemptive strike (letting you stagger easily, kill that Behemoth King fast so that he doesn't power up) and it's easy CP. With that leveling spot and a basic knowledge of Paradigms and Staggering you should be able to finish the game quickly. You'll need to go a bit deeper if you want to do optional stuff but just to finish the main game that's all you need.

If you don't get Staggering, attacks like Ravager attacks make the bar fill up faster but to prevent it from quickly going down you need to hit with either Commando attacks or Saboteur debuffs. So most of the time you want a Commando and 2 Ravagers and when you need another role such as a Medic for healing or a Sentinel to survive tough enemies (most of the time they don't do any damage so maybe you've been avoiding them but unless you're overpowered you'll sometimes need one to survive) you ideally want to just swap out one of the Ravagers. For the most part, once you are able to choose your full party stick to Fang, Lightning and Hope with your default as Paradigm as Commando, Ravager, Ravager.

I like linear games. It is a shame it is seen a a bad thing. I like just following a path, finding a few treasure side paths, and fighting enemies along the way. I mean, the Souls games are linear AF. If you were to actually have a mini-map it would be quite obvious. Sure there are loops and short cuts but it is all pretty straight forward. Like, I actually don't like exploration at all. Rewards for exploring are almost non existent in every open game. The games that reward you the best for exploring are games that are linear, but have "hidden" treasure paths. The more linear a game the more you are rewarded for exploring. Halo becoming an open world FPS and not other DOOM is a shame. Such a shame that DA: I has pointlessly large areas with MMO side quests instead of tight maps with cool side quests like DA:O

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's from the guys who made Nioh so it potentially will probably be more brutal than the souls games. :p

lol ouch. Nevermind. I won't touch it. For christ sakes, I had to lower the difficulty in ME1 already to casual. :lol:

On 5/25/2021 at 2:48 PM, crispy4000 said:

I've heard a lot of people talk up X and XII, but it tends to be one or the other from what I've seen.  Lot more positive vibes for them than XIII (series) or XV.

Having played XIII, I'd still call it an above average video game.

XIII was disturbingly bad. It was the first time I felt insulted by developer. Amazingly, the second time I felt that was FFXIV 1.0.

Just terrible games that never should have been released. Final Fantasy Hallway Runner XII and Final Fantasy Copy/Paste XIV.

Thankfully XIV was turned around, it has the best FF story ever made. XIII though, theres no fixing that.

On 5/25/2021 at 3:54 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I agree on all points. Combat, music, and presentation were all top notch for me as well, but everything else really dragged it down. Like you said, Vanille, and Hope (honestly the whole cast), the early extreme linearity. Etc. Once it opened up it did get better, but I almost never even think about the game these days.

Its literally the only FF I haven't beaten multiple times (besides XV which is just a timing thing, and 7R because Intergrade in 9 days!). I have zero good memories of that game aside from music. Frankly, I beat it because at the time, my son was fairly young, money was tight, and I felt guilty about not beating games I bought full price. It was just terrible. It's a series Ive loved since the original, so im not happy to shit on it, but theres nothing about it that makes me want to go back. There's no other FF mainline game that I never want to play again.

On 5/26/2021 at 3:40 PM, best3444 said:

I personally loved FF13 and yes, it starts off linear but opens up quite a bit a few hours in. I have fond memories with playing that game with my twin brother. 

It doesn’t open up even a little until the very end. Its literally a single hallway to that point. Nothing but the longest hallway ever. And when it does open up, it opens into meaningless nothing.

15 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's from the guys who made Nioh so it potentially will probably be more brutal than the souls games. :p

I doubt it, just because SE won't make an FF game that millions can't play. Im guessing it will be the Fallen Order thing, where yeah, its souls like if you crank the difficulty.

I'd be fine with being wrong though.