PS5 exclusive Final Fantasy game may be revealed in June (not 16, FF7R, Endwalker)

SaysWho?

WWW.RESETERA.COM

This came up first in the FFXVI thread and in the Playstation OT a short while ago, I figured this would also be of interest to users that don't frequent those threads. I took the liberty to...

This person has a good record and has presented "compelling" evidence to staff:

WWW.RESETERA.COM

This came up first in the FFXVI thread and in the Playstation OT a short while ago, I figured this would also be of interest to users that don't frequent those threads. I took the liberty to...

One of the things that made me stop caring about FF titles, was all the spin offs, and naming confusion.  I had no idea what was what.  What was new, old, MMO, non MMO.  

I loved the old FF games. FF III on SNES being one of my all time favorite games.  I enjoyed FF7 enough on PS, but after not loving 8, and then it all starting to just get confusing somewhere after 10 I think, I just stopped caring and haven't played one since.  

All these new titles isn't helping that all that much for me.

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

One of the things that made me stop caring about FF titles, was all the spin offs, and naming confusion.  I had no idea what was what.  What was new, old, MMO, non MMO.  

I loved the old FF games. FF III on SNES being one of my all time favorite games.  I enjoyed FF7 enough on PS, but after not loving 8, and then it all starting to just get confusing somewhere after 10 I think, I just stopped caring and haven't played one since.  

Their naming conventions were a lot worse in the 16-bit era, when Square changed numbering based on the localization.  What you called FFIII is actually FFVI.

All you really have to remember with modern FF is that direct sequels get a secondary number (X-2), and 11 and 14 are the MMOs.

The only post FF9 game I've played (other than FF7R) is 13.  It's both great and terrible at the same time.

After FF7R I'm much more interested in a FF game than I had been in a long time.

Of course, at this point having "Final Fantasy" in the title tells you so little about the game as to be meaningless, so I guess we'll just have to see what type of game this is, regardless of title.

29 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

After playing FF7R and FFXV, modern FF games just bore me. I rather we get a DQXII announcement than anything FF related. 

Man... finding modern FF boring but *not* DQ totally baffles me. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

"but more accessible"

OnI3.gif

:lol: In all seriousness though, I think there is a good way to make that work. Core challenge is one thing, but souls games also ratchet up the effective difficulty by having spaced out checkpoints/savepoints which is a divisive approach that need not be adopted to make a good game.

Of course, Square tends to like spaced out savepoints, so maybe they'll make it mechanically easier before they abandon that :p 

1 hour ago, legend said:

:lol: In all seriousness though, I think there is a good way to make that work. Core challenge is one thing, but souls games also ratchet up the effective difficulty by having spaced out checkpoints/savepoints which is a divisive approach that need not be adopted to make a good game.

Of course, Square tends to like spaced out savepoints, so maybe they'll make it mechanically easier before they abandon that :p 

It is actually not about how hard it is. This "but more accessible" always sounds like difficulty modes. I don't like them. They are always bad. I'd rather a game be too easy with no options to make it harder, like Zelda, than to make a game where using the options to make it harder means enemies deal more damage and take less damage, generally forcing you to play the game completely differently than you would on an easier difficulty. And by differently I mean lame and shit, not fun. A game that has this shit is Gears of War. The hardest mode isn't fun. You can't run around and blast the AI with your Gnasher. You have to live behind cover, and hit'em from a far. You have far more methods of execution on Normal in Gears. The Hardest limits you to one style of play. 

Dark Souls and Nioh don't have that issue, they are hard, but the entire game is made around that. Every option is viable. And often, hard modes aren't "harder" just more tedious. I mean, like, it is harder, but not harder in anyway that is good. The challenge doesn't come from the design, the challenge comes from changing number values. Maybe the AI will be more aggressive, but they aren't smarter. They just have more health/take less damage so they can mindlessly charge you. I hate all of that when it comes to difficulty. IMO, you don't gain more skill when you play games that treat difficulty like that. Like, I didn't get better when playing TW3 on Death March, instead I just played like a bitch and spammed Quen. I didn't get better at the game's combat, I just got better at remembering to always keep Quen up. 

On 5/21/2021 at 9:52 AM, JPDunks4 said:

Say what?

How is it confusing?

If there's a roman numeral, it's a mainline game. If it's got some weird title, it's a spin-off. Really crazy stuff I know.

83-837789_final-fantasy-portal-site-fina

logo.png

The MMOs literally have the word online in the name, as for new MMO vs old MMO, take a wild guess. :p

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

It is actually not about how hard it is. This "but more accessible" always sounds like difficulty modes. I don't like them. They are always bad. I'd rather a game be too easy with no options to make it harder, like Zelda, than to make a game where using the options to make it harder means enemies deal more damage and take less damage, generally forcing you to play the game completely differently than you would on an easier difficulty. And by differently I mean lame and shit, not fun. A game that has this shit is Gears of War. The hardest mode isn't fun. You can't run around and blast the AI with your Gnasher. You have to live behind cover, and hit'em from a far. You have far more methods of execution on Normal in Gears. The Hardest limits you to one style of play. 

Dark Souls and Nioh don't have that issue, they are hard, but the entire game is made around that. Every option is viable. And often, hard modes aren't "harder" just more tedious. I mean, like, it is harder, but not harder in anyway that is good. The challenge doesn't come from the design, the challenge comes from changing number values. Maybe the AI will be more aggressive, but they aren't smarter. They just have more health/take less damage so they can mindlessly charge you. I hate all of that when it comes to difficulty. IMO, you don't gain more skill when you play games that treat difficulty like that. Like, I didn't get better when playing TW3 on Death March, instead I just played like a bitch and spammed Quen. I didn't get better at the game's combat, I just got better at remembering to always keep Quen up. 

Meh I used to have a similar mindset but honestly who gives a shit if they just patched in an easy mode to a Dark Souls or whatever. They can design the core game the same way but make it accessible to more people. 

I don’t feel compelled to demand or hope that this happens, but if it did I am way less convinced that it would be detrimental to the experience the developers had in mind than I used to be. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Meh I used to have a similar mindset but honestly who gives a shit

Me. It is why I made my previous post. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

if they just patched in an easy mode to a Dark Souls

which is totally different than making a game with shit like Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, Ultra Impossible Death March of the Extremely Insane Nightmare. If they want to patch in an easy mode years later, then sure. I just don't want to see it at launch. Like, I have no issues with how some games get shipped with a harder mode when they are re-released. I think Wind Waker HD did that. 

Wind Waker being easy to the point of actually being insulting was one of the main reasons I didn't gush over that game like everyone else did once people stopped hating on it for the cel shading. Like fuck, if the combat isn't a challenge at all (and also isn't fun to begin with because it's braindead simple) why even have conflict in the game? If there's no danger, don't try to sell me on the danger. Either make the combat challenging, super fun, or both. But don't make it boring AND easy. Fuck man. Every moment I was battling a monster in that game felt like a speedbump to the more interesting content. If you ever dared to get hit you could slash a pot and 50 hearts would spew out.

I love super hard combat, but I don't need every game to have it. However, I also completely despise when combat is so easy, especially when it becomes pointless and antithetical to the actual themes of the game and harms the storytelling, at least to me personally. It's like when I kick the everloving shit out of a boss and don't get touched but then in the cutscene the boss isn't dead and my characters look like they've been beaten into a pulp and are all winded. Bah. Again, if you're gonna make the combat that easy, at least make it a lot of fun to mess with.

As an aside, I don't agree that difficulties are never done right. I feel like the difficulty options in Resident Evil games are especially good. I like to start with the hardest initially available for a big challenge, then you usually unlock a much harder one, so I move on to that using my mastery from the previous playthrough, and then finally I love to drop it down to the easiest and use all my ridiculous NG+ or ++ weaponry to devastate everything as quickly as possible. It's like climbing a mountain and then putting on your skis at the top, except you also enjoy the climb itself too!

10 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Say what?

How is it confusing?

If there's a roman numeral, it's a mainline game. If it's got some weird title, it's a spin-off. Really crazy stuff I know.

The MMOs literally have the word online in the name, as for new MMO vs old MMO, take a wild guess. :p

It was probably around the time when X and X-2 were out, then XI was a MMO, and I think XII took years and years before it released.  I didn't follow gaming all that closely, and just remembered trying to find out was X-2 the next proper single player FF, or was it 11.  And were they even making a 12 or were they just focused on the MMO going forward.

After not really liking VIII, , and I never heard a whole lot of hype around 10, 12, 13 or 15 for that matter when I did get back into gaming more, with all the talk always being about FFVI and FFVII.  Just never really peaked my interest enough to ever really try them again.  

57 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

It was probably around the time when X and X-2 were out, then XI was a MMO, and I think XII took years and years before it released.  I didn't follow gaming all that closely, and just remembered trying to find out was X-2 the next proper single player FF, or was it 11.  And were they even making a 12 or were they just focused on the MMO going forward.

After not really liking VIII, , and I never heard a whole lot of hype around 10, 12, 13 or 15 for that matter when I did get back into gaming more, with all the talk always being about FFVI and FFVII.  Just never really peaked my interest enough to ever really try them again.  

While I'm a huge fan of FF8, so my opinion may not mean much, but for me FF12 is peak FF and FF15 was very enjoyable, just rushed in its last third with a weak overall story. FF10 and FF13 (both from director Motomu Toriyama) aren't very good, and I didn't like their sequels either (FF10-2 and FF13-2 and FF13-3 (Lightning Returns)). FF11 and FF14 entirely depend on how you feel about MMO's, though people claim FF14 has the best FF story (I'm past the first part of the game, not at the best story part yet). 

3 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

FF8 introduced scaling enemies right?  That was a turn off to me once I realized it.

The enemies in FF8 scale to the average active overall party level. It's a bit more complex than that, but basically. Not just to Squall at least. The biggest issue people had with FF8 was you could easily abuse the "draw" magic system to become OP early on if you wanted to with your characters, which also made every character homogenous/samey ultimately if you did abuse the magic system.