Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Starfield modding community has started preparing for the inevitable bug-filled launch:

CHHsvfHQfFPH3xoAXdy53S-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

We spoke to members of the Starfield Community Patch mod group about their launch plans

The Starfield Community Patch(opens in new tab) is a budding group effort hoping to address Starfield's inevitable bugs, and the mod authors behind it are already laying the groundwork for workshopping Bethesda's next open-world epic. 

We spoke to members of the SCP to learn more about the group's plans – namely, how you prepare to mod a game that isn't even out and uses a new engine. At this stage, the group is focusing on preventing any roadblocks that could slow mod development once the game is actually out, but proof-of-concept tools are also in the works alongside organizational stuff. 

"If you look at other large modding projects that exist out there today you'll find that quite a lot of them have suffered from growing pains at some point during development," the SCP tells GamesRadar+. "These problems often stem from questions around ownership, copyright, vision, etc. This is why we feel it's valuable to use the time prior to the game release to nail down these details so that anyone who chooses to contribute to the project is aware of how it all works, what is expected, and how their submission will be shared."  

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield (First Half of 2023?) - Information Thread, update: Starfield modders begin preparing for the inevitable "community patch" at launch
  • 4 months later...

Someone who works at Bethesda lives in my building and I ran into him the other day in the elevator so I took the opportunity to ask about Starfield's release date.

His response was something along the lines of "Yup - that's definitely a date that was set by marketing and that's all I'm gonna say about it!"

Read between the lines if you will.

• Haha 3
  • Sicko 1

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield (06 September 2023) - Information Thread, update: Starfield modders begin preparing for the inevitable "community patch" at launch
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield (06 September 2023) - Information Thread, update: 06 September 2023 release announced, "Starfield Direct" on 11 June 2023

So 2 out of the three MS games included "in the next 12 months" from last years show aren't actually. How bad are they at figuring out development schedules? They better not bother with any sort of time frame promise this year, because they're obviously incapable of actually ever doing what they say they will. The whole concept of last years show was pretty much a lie at this point.

• True 1

Well... so far that's Starfield and Forza that have both fallen out of that "next 12 months" window that they gave at last summer's Xbox briefing. Neither of these are even going to make the summer release window. I can guarantee you they aren't gonna fuckin do that again.

Youtube gonna have a field day with this one.

6 minutes ago, jaethos said:

So 2 out of the three MS games included "in the next 12 months" from last years show aren't actually. How bad are they at figuring out development schedules? They better not bother with any sort of time frame promise this year, because they're obviously incapable of actually ever doing what they say they will. The whole concept of last years show was pretty much a lie at this point.

Entitled gamer nonsense. Games get delayed. I agree they shouldn't put timeframes on stuff, but this whining about delays is some major nonsense. Delay it as long as they need, just release it in a playable state. 

5 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Well... so far that's Starfield and Forza that have both fallen out of that "next 12 months" window that they gave at last summer's Xbox briefing. Neither of these are even going to make the summer release window. I can guarantee you they aren't gonna fuckin do that again.

Youtube gonna have a field day with this one.

Forza hasn't fallen out of anything, they haven't given a date, and the rumors are May/June. 

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Starfield (06 September 2023?) - Information Thread, update: 06 September 2023 release announced, "Starfield Direct" on 11 June 2023

Yeah so it slipped a couple of months, shit happens, but at least for now it looks like it will come out and you don't even have to wait till the end of the year. That seems like something to get excited about not get pissy at Microsoft about. It's like Xbox fans would rather have nothing than have a game not hit it's release date.

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Entitled gamer nonsense. Games get delayed. I agree they shouldn't put timeframes on stuff, but this whining about delays is some major nonsense. Delay it as long as they need, just release it in a playable state. 

Forza hasn't fallen out of anything, they haven't given a date, and the rumors are May/June. 

:shrug:

Companies need to hit timelines.  I worked at a large manufacturing company, people got fired when they didn't hit their timing.  [And I don't mean by crunching, I mean setting the approrpriate timing, and delivering what they said they would.]  I don't know why games should be any different.

• Like 1

September is a perfect window.  June would have been horrible with Zelda coming out late May, and then Diablo 4 early June.  Those are both massive games that will take 100+ hours each probably.

Anyone that gets pissy about delays is laughable to me.  If it didn't need to delay, it wouldn't be delayed.  You lose nothing having it be delayed.  All it means is we won't get release dates until games are only a few months away, which is how it probably should be.  The 12 month thing in theory is fine, it shows you what they have coming up within their next year timeframe, but everyone knows with games, delays are likely to happen.  Unless Forza drops to 2024, it still did its job of showing Xbox's roughly next years plans.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

15 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

September is a perfect window.  June would have been horrible with Zelda coming out late May, and then Diablo 4 early June.  Those are both massive games that will take 100+ hours each probably.

Anyone that gets pissy about delays is laughable to me.  If it didn't need to delay, it wouldn't be delayed.  You lose nothing having it be delayed.  All it means is we won't get release dates until games are only a few months away, which is how it probably should be.  The 12 month thing in theory is fine, it shows you what they have coming up within their next year timeframe, but everyone knows with games, delays are likely to happen.  Unless Forza drops to 2024, it still did its job of showing Xbox's roughly next years plans.

you forgot FF16 in June,. 

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

:shrug:

Companies need to hit timelines.  I worked at a large manufacturing company, people got fired when they didn't hit their timing.  [And I don't mean by crunching, I mean setting the appropriate timing, and delivering what they said they would.]  I don't know why games should be any different.

that's not the same as building games. Once you have you're manufacturing process down, there's no reason not to hit deadlines (if management is good) and nothing catastrophic happens. Games are a product that change constantly through development, and end up full of problems that absolutely couldn't be foreseen. 

While I agree they shouldn't have given the 9/11/22 date originally, a 10 month delay isn't at all abnormal in gaming. Or really a big deal at all. It's a couple of months longer than the estimate they gave last year. I'm fine with that. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

that's not the same as building games. Once you have you're manufacturing process down, there's no reason not to hit deadlines (if management is good) and nothing catastrophic happens. Games are a product that change constantly through development, and end up full of problems that absolutely couldn't be foreseen. 

While I agree they shouldn't have given the 9/11/22 date originally, a 10 month delay isn't at all abnormal in gaming. Or really a big deal at all. It's a couple of months longer than the estimate they gave last year. I'm fine with that. 

I was referring to the product development process of consumer goods.  If you think developing a new car doesn't result in lots of good reasons to miss deadlines...

There are some teams that are some development teams that are notorious for missing ship dates.  And others, that consistently hit them.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

I doubt I'll be playing that at launch, haven't played a FF since FF7 back in the day.  Unless its deemed a must play generational game and I can't help the fomo.

It's by far my most anticipated game this year. Followed by D4 and then Zelda/Starfield.

I really don't believe Zelda is going to be anything special though. I hope i'm wrong, but BotW was a shock in a way this just can't possibly be, and people have hyped it up far more than the original pre-release. 

1 minute ago, BloodyHell said:

It's by far my most anticipated game this year. Followed by D4 and then Zelda/Starfield.

I really don't believe Zelda is going to be anything special though. I hope i'm wrong, but BotW was a shock in a way this just can't possibly be, and people have hyped it up far more than the original pre-release. 

I don't know, I think Zelda is far more anticipated than a new FF, but like I said, I haven't played one in a long time. 

If this newer game is Zelda BotW with some more traiditional dungeons and improvements, then it'll be up there as another generational game for me.  I loved BotW exploration and world.  The ending fell off a bit for me after getting a bit burnt out, but I still can't want to learn more about it.

Diablo 4 I'm cautiously optimistic about.  I'm afraid MTX may ruin it, and I hate MTX in loot games like that where all the coolest gear is just bought for in the store.  I hate when a Lvl 1 crap character can look as cool as high end game characters cause they bought some cool looking shit.  Blizzard will have to prove they can pull it off, but I anticipate it being like an isometric Elden Ring type world to explore, so I'm really hyped for that.

10 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I don't know, I think Zelda is far more anticipated than a new FF, but like I said, I haven't played one in a long time. 

If this newer game is Zelda BotW with some more traiditional dungeons and improvements, then it'll be up there as another generational game for me.  I loved BotW exploration and world.  The ending fell off a bit for me after getting a bit burnt out, but I still can't want to learn more about it.

Diablo 4 I'm cautiously optimistic about.  I'm afraid MTX may ruin it, and I hate MTX in loot games like that where all the coolest gear is just bought for in the store.  I hate when a Lvl 1 crap character can look as cool as high end game characters cause they bought some cool looking shit.  Blizzard will have to prove they can pull it off, but I anticipate it being like an isometric Elden Ring type world to explore, so I'm really hyped for that.

Oh, I didn’t say Zelda wasn’t more anticipated, Im saying the switch is long in the tooth and there isn’t much this game can do to shock. BotW was shocking, I loved it, but even after trying to replay it without the hype of launch, it’s flaws are far, far more visible. Especially the emptiness of the open world. 

personally, Im definitely far more excited about FF than Zelda, but im there day one for both no matter what.

and they promised the only mtx in Diablo would be cosmetic. I don’t give a shit about that, I don’t care what my character looks like whatsoever.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

and they promised the only mtx in Diablo would be cosmetic. I don’t give a shit about that, I don’t care what my character looks like whatsoever.

Oh I always cared about the cosmetic appearance of your character as you progress.  It always felt as part of the progression system for me.  As you get more powerful you get cooler looking gear.   When you'd play with other people seeing some of the cool stuff they had was ways fun.

21 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Oh I always cared about the cosmetic appearance of your character as you progress.  It always felt as part of the progression system for me.  As you get more powerful you get cooler looking gear.   When you'd play with other people seeing some of the cool stuff they had was ways fun.

Ya, does nothing for me. Give me stats, I like numbers. I don’t care about aesthetics, most especially in an isometric dungeon crawler. To each their own though. 

• 2 months later...