Defense rests in the Derek Chauvin case (UPDATE: Guilty on all charges) (2ND UPDATE: 22 1/2 years in prison)

5 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

One of the reasons why there should be age limits for elected positions other than cognitive decline is that well to do old people are in many ways segregated from modern society. 

Honestly, term limits are good when they're not comically short. I'm talking 25 years in the house and 30 in the senate just so there's at least some churn. That means now that the ~30 representatives and ~5 senators who be replaced as of now.

• Like 1

I know I said this earlier, but one takeaway everyone can be happy with is that if Chauvin got acquitted or declared a mistrial or whatever, the Rodney King riots would look like fucking preschool compared to what was about to happen. The governor of Oregon preemptively declared a state of emergency. I was fully ready to tell my work "fuck no, I am not coming in today, I don't like you that much." Portland was already on the edge of exploding over the police murdering a homeless guy, plus all the shit from the summer with cops in unmarked vans. It was not going to be a pretty situation.

8 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

"Justice Department launches investigation into Minneapolis policing practices"

210301-merrick-garland-jm-1328_27a23571e
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The announcement comes a day after Derek Chauvin was convicted on all three counts in the death of George Floyd last year.

I read somewhere that minneapolis and Chicago are in a league of their own when it comes to shootings of Black, Asian, and Latino people when compared to the population of these groups in their respective cities

And all it took was a literal video of the murder happening, broadcast to the entire world, while we were still all on the edge of our seat because our nation is such a hellscape that him getting off for his broadcast-worldwide murder of a restrained, unarmed man on the ground wasn't just possible, it was considered very likely. It's a helluva lot better outcome than I expected, but goddamn we have so, so far to go.

13 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

One of the reasons why there should be age limits for elected positions other than cognitive decline is that well to do old people are in many ways segregated from modern society. 

Term limits on top of this would help with political segregation too.  Long_running politicians get out of touch even when they aren't old as dirt.

45 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

And all it took was a literal video of the murder happening, broadcast to the entire world, while we were still all on the edge of our seat because our nation is such a hellscape that him getting off for his broadcast-worldwide murder of a restrained, unarmed man on the ground wasn't just possible, it was considered very likely. It's a helluva lot better outcome than I expected, but goddamn we have so, so far to go.

It's fucking insane and sad is what it is. 

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

"Justice Department launches investigation into Minneapolis policing practices"

210301-merrick-garland-jm-1328_27a23571e
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The announcement comes a day after Derek Chauvin was convicted on all three counts in the death of George Floyd last year.

Can we get that for the NYPD as well? They're lunatics in my experience. 

9 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I read somewhere that minneapolis and Chicago are in a league of their own when it comes to shootings of Black, Asian, and Latino people when compared to the population of these groups in their respective cities

Chicago's annual budget is like $11 billion, and they've paid out like $500 million just in police misconduct settlements over the past 10 years.

Derek Chauvin was immediately put in solitary, as expected. There is no jail or prison yard on which he'd ever be safe. I'm assuming minnesota doesn't have entire PC prison complexes like states like california or texas.

Granted, solitary for your safety isn't like solitary for punishment. You still get canteen and stuff like that. But he's still gonna be locked down 23&1 and he'll have to do his rec time in a dog cage or in a small courtyard by himself, depending on where he's at. He'll have to choose between rec or a shower.

3 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Let's all remember the purpose of prison is to reform and rehabilitate these people, it isn't meant for punishment.

Unfortunately, that depends on who you ask. People can't decide between punishment, justice, and rehabilitation. One always falls short of another in most peoples' eyes.

It's important to remember that the overwhelming majority of people sent to prison will be released some day. What kind of person do you want them to be when that day comes?

I assume Derek Chauvin will get something like 12-15. He's not spending the rest of his life in prison.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sure if the United States had a cushy prison like the one Varg was in people would be lining up to go to prison.

45% of prisoners in the US get arrested again within one year of release. Two thirds of felons are arrested again within 3 years. If the point of the penal system is to make society better and safer, the US system utterly fails at that task.

If you want prison to be strictly about punishment and fuck everything else, then just kill every felon and be done with it. If you want the prison system to make society better, it seems "cushy" prisons are the way to go. Norway has a recidivism rate that's like a third of ours, and it's because their prison system is actually based around breeding good habits and training inmates to be successful when they're released. They live in apartments. Some are even allowed to go home on weekends.

When ideas like that get brought up in America, it's immediately met with "well why WOULDN'T I commit a crime if there's no punishment for it?!" The data seems to show that punishment does not make crime go down; rehabilitation does. But people don't want to hear it. People want to see the hanging because it makes them feel better, they don't think about the fact that we don't really hang people anymore and that criminal will be living next door to you when they're eventually released.

People don't want justice, they want punishment. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.