Manchin says there is ‘no circumstance’ where he would vote to get rid of or ‘weaken’ the filibuster, opposes using reconciliation to even pass the infrastructure bill.

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I think Matt Y had made this point a couple days ago. People think that it’s just Manchin holding back the filibuster reform, but it isn’t. The other Senators are just cowardly hiding behind him as he gets publicly destroyed.

32 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think Matt Y had made this point a couple days ago. People think that it’s just Manchin holding back the filibuster reform, but it isn’t. The other Senators are just cowardly hiding behind him as he gets publicly destroyed.

publicly destroyed by Democrats. Republicans are embracing him. 

210107095752-collins-manchin-romney-spli
WWW.CNN.COM

A bipartisan group of 10 senators announced Thursday they have reached a deal on a $1.2 trillion infrastructure package, the most significant development yet in negotiations over a key priority of the Biden administration, but it still faces serious obstacles from skeptics in both parties.

• Guillotine 2

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

infuriating thread 

Read the whole thing. This is one of the better breakdowns as to why getting rid of the filibuster is a good thing because he breaks down how the past 15 years would have gone with a real-life event. Good read.

I did get a kick out of this 3 hour gap:

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

honestly reasonable (not sure on the John Lewis voting rights bill changes) but the unreasonable thing is it will take 60 votes to pass it

Give the Republicans voter ID.  Just make it so it's 100% free to attain with no income qualifiers.   It's worth it if they Democrats get everything else on that list. 

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You won't like this: national ID card (this is a good thing)

I already carry two around:  My Social Security Card as well as my VA medical card.  Technically I have 3, including my passport, but I don't carry it around. 

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Give the Republicans voter ID.  Just make it so it's 100% free to attain with no income qualifiers.   It's worth it if they Democrats get everything else on that list. 

No cost and no income qualifiers but you know implementation would be left to the states so red states would make it so it's only available at one office in the entire state for one hour on one randomly selected day per month.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

No cost and no income qualifiers but you know implementation would be left to the states so red states would make it so it's only available at one office in the entire state for one hour on one randomly selected day per month.

They'll also just say there's a massive flood of fake IDs among dem voters.

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

honestly reasonable (not sure on the John Lewis voting rights bill changes) but the unreasonable thing is it will take 60 votes to pass it

That's also the thing: he said he wouldn't support a "partisan" voter bill (aka: a bill that gets no Republican support).

So if no Republicans support this, he opposes his own thing?

tbh, a lot of this is really good. A straight-up ban of gerrymandering would be huge in itself.

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

That's also the thing: he said he wouldn't support a "partisan" voter bill (aka: a bill that gets no Republican support).

So if no Republicans support this, he opposes his own thing?

tbh, a lot of this is really good. A straight-up ban of gerrymandering would be huge in itself.

A ban on partisan gerrymandering in congressional elections is probably more consequential than anything else in the bill tbh