Manchin says there is ‘no circumstance’ where he would vote to get rid of or ‘weaken’ the filibuster, opposes using reconciliation to even pass the infrastructure bill.

I don't get the people who say "The Dems can kiss 2022 goodbye if they don't enact XYZ by then".  I would counter that they'd be more likely to lose if they were able to do everything they promised in 2022, because there will absolutely be a boomerang effect.  Remember Obamacare and how it basically cost the Dems the House in 2010?  

Whether the Democrats can enact their policy goals or not, Democratic voters are still going to vote for them in 2022.  It's just a matter of how many Republicans get fired up and vote in the midterms as well.  Passing shit like the GND is guaranteed to get the right bent out of shape and vote like crazy in 2022. 

• Confused 1

Just now, mclumber1 said:

I don't get the people who say "The Dems can kiss 2022 goodbye if they don't enact XYZ by then".  I would counter that they'd be more likely to lose if they were able to do everything they promised in 2022, because there will absolutely be a boomerang effect.  Remember Obamacare and how it basically cost the Dems the House in 2010?  

Whether the Democrats can enact their policy goals or not, Democratic voters are still going to vote for them in 2022.  It's just a matter of how many Republicans get fired up and vote in the midterms as well.  Passing shit like the GND is guaranteed to get the right bent out of shape and vote like crazy in 2022. 

Gnd wasn't on the table.

Voting rights and civil rights acts aren't gonna pass under the 60 vote threshold. Hell, infrastructure may not pass (imo may only do so under 50 vote threshold with 3-4 Republicans max on board)

Even the popular yet stretch items like a public option or MJ legalization are definitely off the table given a 60 vote threshold.

There's a ton of items that could make lives better and (more importantly) are popular but will never ever ever pass under the 60 vote rule.

Fuck the whole "if you pass things there may be a backlash" though. There should be a reason to vote for a given party, (fair) elections should have consequences. You don't get a trifecta often and if you don't use it you lose it (likely) regardless.

That said, I'm a little more bullish on D's keeping the senate and maybe the house in 22 because more and more of the D electorate is suburban people who can't really be targeted by suppression tactics and who stay home less in off year elections, added to the effect of partisanship becoming stronger and the strong R vote was from low propensity voters that might suffer without Trump on the ticket(see 2018), and the effect of the insurrection galvanized many Dems to not be as complacent as may have been the case. We saw many places swing hard from D to R in 2010 and they haven't really went back; we're not sitting on historic majorities, and we've got a fairly favorable midterm map in the Senate.

2024 though.

23 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Fuck the whole "if you pass things there may be a backlash" though. There should be a reason to vote for a given party, (fair) elections should have consequences. You don't get a trifecta often and if you don't use it you lose it (likely) regardless.

This.  So much this.

Making government an agent of change rather than a mechanism to voice grievance and prevent "the other side" from governing is a good thing. Like believe me I get that our system of governance is not made for change but to preserve the status quo crystallized in amber but if there is no mechanism for change through the ballot box, there is only one solution and folks, no one will like it.

"But if we lose the other side will get to do stuff" might, MAYBE, be a somewhat decent argument if the other side was playing the same stupid game the bipartisanship fetish Democrats are. But as we know THEY ALWAYS DO STUFF ANYHOW SO IT'S REALLY JUST PREVENTING YOURSELVES FROM GETTING TO DO STUFF screaming ilana glazer GIF by Broad CityS

8 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Making government an agent of change rather than a mechanism to voice grievance and prevent "the other side" from governing is a good thing. Like believe me I get that our system of governance is not made for change but to preserve the status quo crystallized in amber but if there is no mechanism for change through the ballot box, there is only one solution and folks, no one will like it.

I beg your pardon?

• Haha 1

Ahhhhhhh!

"Joe Manchin is opposing big parts of Biden agenda as Koch network presses him"

106893398-1623092822612-gettyimages-1320
WWW.CNBC.COM

The Koch network has been actively pressuring Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin to oppose key legislative items linked to Biden's agenda.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Ahhhhhhh!

"Joe Manchin is opposing big parts of Biden agenda as Koch network presses him"

106893398-1623092822612-gettyimages-1320
WWW.CNBC.COM

The Koch network has been actively pressuring Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin to oppose key legislative items linked to Biden's agenda.

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

there are maybe 5 people in congress who actually care about working class people. i’m tired of these phony ass people pretending that they care about what we want. they are all spineless pieces of trash. 

they don’t care about black lives. meeting with somebody living off of disability to talk about how hard life is is just a photo op. they couldn’t care less about mental health in this country as long as the numbers in their bank accounts keep going up.