Manchin says there is ‘no circumstance’ where he would vote to get rid of or ‘weaken’ the filibuster, opposes using reconciliation to even pass the infrastructure bill.

191113111541-us-capitol-impeachment-hear
WWW.CNN.COM

Some defenders of the Senate's filibuster rules are reconsidering their past refusal to gut the potent stall tactic if Republicans carry through with their plans to block Democratic legislation to rewrite the nation's voting and campaign finance laws.

"We have to defend democracy," King said. "And I'm afraid that our colleagues have put us in that position. I'm very reluctant to modify the filibuster. But I don't feel I can stand by and see our system subverted."

Asked if he'd be open to backing the nuclear option -- a tactic to change Senate rules along straight party lines -- King said bluntly: "Yes."

Democratic sources told CNN they expect that more senators will join King and hope that will be enough to convince some holdouts to change their views. Several have been skeptical about changing the rules, including New Hampshire Sens. Jeanne Shaheen and Maggie Hassan, while others like Manchin and Arizona Sen. Kyrsten Sinema are steadfastly opposed.

"I spent 23 years defending people's rights to vote around the world so I'm gonna choose defending Americans rights to vote over 100 senators to mount a filibuster any day," Democratic Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois told CNN.

Asked about Manchin's concerns that gutting the filibuster would effectively blow up the Senate, Duckworth said, "They're blowing up the right of Americans to vote all across the country."

XHNTMWGBNYI6XCNEW6XCFKQZHY.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

President Biden signaled at a private meeting on Wednesday that he would further narrow his infrastructure package to win Republican support, outlining a plan for about $1 trillion in new spending...

• Guillotine 3

Raising the corporate tax is dumb and you all know it.  Just raise the rate on the upper bracket to raise revenue.  In fact, get rid of the corporate tax completely and raise the upper bracket rates to offset the little money generated from the corp tax. 

50 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Raising the corporate tax is dumb and you all know it.  Just raise the rate on the upper bracket to raise revenue.  In fact, get rid of the corporate tax completely and raise the upper bracket rates to offset the little money generated from the corp tax. 

Only if we raise capital gains taxes to the same as normal income tax rates (as well as raising income tax rates).

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Only if we raise capital gains taxes to the same as normal income tax rates (as well as raising income tax rates).

Short term gains sure.  Long term gains should still have a lower rate compared to income tax brackets, with the exception of this:  If a majority of your income is derived from stock grants as a part of your employment contract, and that amounts to more than ~$400k a year, than your capital gains would be taxed at the higher rate regardless of how long you held onto the stock. 

What's infuriating is that when they passed the recovery act the administration had a talking point--which had the virtue of being absolutely correct--that legislation can still be bipartisan if its supported by voters in both parties, even if the Republicans are blocking it in congress for cynical reasons. That talking point seems to have vanished with this infrastructure bill, even though polls show it also has majority support with the public, even if it's not as popular as the recovery act.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

good thing Republicans aren't passing partisan voting legislation

What a fucking moron. He deserves the wall

My understanding of HR1 would be that districts have to be "non-partisan", but minority districts could be formed (or maintained) under the law, which means the districts wouldn't be truly non-partisan, as minorities, for the most part, vote democratic.  

Manchin is barely a Democrat  (although votes with Biden nearly 100% of the time).  And your choices for representation from WV are either Manchin or a GOP Trumpist.  That single Senate seat is what separates the Dems controlling the Senate, and Mitch running the show again.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

Manchin is barely a Democrat  (although votes with Biden nearly 100% of the time).  And your choices for representation from WV are either Manchin or a GOP Trumpist.  That single Senate seat is what separates the Dems controlling the Senate, and Mitch running the show again.

West Virginia would vote in a pro-labor Democrat if the Dems would even bother to run one. 

24 minutes ago, CayceG said:

West Virginia would vote in a pro-labor Democrat if the Dems would even bother to run one. 

Nope.

37 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

My understanding of HR1 would be that districts have to be "non-partisan", but minority districts could be formed (or maintained) under the law, which means the districts wouldn't be truly non-partisan, as minorities, for the most part, vote democratic.  

His objection seems to be "it's not bipartisan" rather than "fix these things or I can't do it"

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

good thing Republicans aren't passing partisan voting legislation

What a fucking moron. He deserves the wall

ken-paxton.jpg
WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

"We would've been one of those battleground states," Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said.

Lets see what someone who isn't a complete fucking retard thinks.

KING: No, I think there are things that can be modified. And Chuck Schumer knows that and Amy Klobuchar. I have said that all along.

I -- it's a 800- or 900- or 1,000-page bill. There are clearly some things I think need to be negotiated. And I think Joe Manchin realizes that.

The -- but the guts of it, Jake, is voting rights. It has a lot of other pieces. It has -- for example, it has public financing of elections. It has a lot of other pieces in it. But the important part for me is protecting voting rights. And I think that's becoming more urgent by the day, based upon what's going on around in the states.

And, Jake, there's an important point here. There are two things going on with voting rights. One is getting a lot of publicity, the other not so much. The publicity is about things like limiting absentee ballots and the early voting and all of those kinds of things.

The other piece, though, Jake, that isn't being talked about is, a lot of states are considering changes that the legislature could essentially overturn the results of an election in their state. Remember, Raffensperger stood up in Georgia and said, no, we have certified these elections, the governor certified them.

We're worried that -- or I'm worried that they're going to turn that over and say, OK, a Republican legislature can say, we think there was fraud in Fulton County, and, therefore, we're going to certify a different set of electors.

That's really dangerous.

TAPPER: Yes.

KING: And that didn't happen in '20. But it could.

So voting rights is critical. And I don't know -- I haven't talked to Joe about it in particular. My belief is, we have really got to focus on what the most crucial issue is, which is protecting democracy.