~*Official Thread of America's Return to Thoughts & Prayers Normalcy*~

14 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

According to the most recent data that I could find, the US ranks #2 in per capita education spending (Luxembourg is #1).

Thus, I'd say that education definitely qualifies as one of those areas.

Number 1 GIF by PragerU

40 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It seems highly likely that the police effectively allowed the shooter to massacre the classroom while they waited for backup.

I literally never want to hear the phrase “good guy with a gun” ever again.

Unfortunately we will keep hearing about it because it is every gun nut's fantasy fetish to think that they are John Maclean and would thwart the "bad guy" with their amazing skills and crisis savvy they learned shooting cans in the backyard.

• True 2

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

FYI: it isn’t one door out, you couldn’t pass fire code that way. But it’s like a typical movie theater building which has a single entry, but multiple egress layout.

This is actually how they build schools in a lot of places where security concerns are high (places in Israel, as an example).

It probably is the most sensible design for a school with children anyway, even just to avoid things like non-custodial parents sneaking in and leaving with kids. Our local school district converted all schools to single entry over the last 10 years to control all traffic into the building, not just for active shooter situations. You have to get buzzed in through a secured vestibule to get into the rest of the school.

1 hour ago, Amazatron said:

Unfortunately we will keep hearing about it because it is every gun nut's fantasy fetish to think that they are John Maclean and would thwart the "bad guy" with their amazing skills and crisis savvy they learned shooting cans in the backyard.

Oh you missed all of the antics going on in the OTHER mass shooting thread on this board didn't you... John MacLaine was live last night lol!

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

FYI: it isn’t one door out, you couldn’t pass fire code that way. But it’s like a typical movie theater building which has a single entry, but multiple egress layout.

This is actually how they build schools in a lot of places where security concerns are high (places in Israel, as an example).

It probably is the most sensible design for a school with children anyway, even just to avoid things like non-custodial parents sneaking in and leaving with kids. Our local school district converted all schools to single entry over the last 10 years to control all traffic into the building, not just for active shooter situations. You have to get buzzed in through a secured vestibule to get into the rest of the school.

Let's do it... done. Problem solved no more kids getting shot in classrooms. :|

• Halal 1

59 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

All the schools in my district are like that. Schools were the same way where I grew up. I didn't even realize you could enter schools from anywhere other than the front door in many schools around the world until I read about it online. Nothing fancy, they were all just one way doors.

That wouldn't help when a shooter just walks in the front door and shoots whoever's there. Armed guards at entrances haven't exactly stopped school shootings.

43 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Let's do it... done. Problem solved no more kids getting shot in classrooms. :|

Like I said, the redesigns here actually weren’t done primarily for the purposes of inhibiting active shooters. That’s just a positive side effect. And since we aren’t going to get much of anything done on gun control with the current SCOTUS makeup (if anything, it’s going the other direction), why not do something that would have tangible benefits?

I don’t even send my kids to public schools, but I voted in favor of the bond that paid for those upgrades because it is an actual improvement to the safety of our students and staff.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

All the schools in my district are like that. Schools were the same way where I grew up. I didn't even realize you could enter schools from anywhere other than the front door in many schools around the world until I read about it online. Nothing fancy, they were all just one way doors.

That wouldn't help when a shooter just walks in the front door and shoots whoever's there. Armed guards at entrances haven't exactly stopped school shootings.

The schools here after the upgrades have nobody to shoot before you go through the secure vestibule. It’s just an empty room with bulletproof windows into the front desk area. Once you have shown ID and proven you have legitimate business there, they print a pass with your name and photo on it, then they buzz you through to the other side where you can walk freely at that point.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Like I said, the redesigns here actually weren’t done primarily for the purposes of inhibiting active shooters. That’s just a positive side effect. And since we aren’t going to get much of anything done on gun control with the current SCOTUS makeup (if anything, it’s going the other direction), why not do something that would have tangible benefits?

I don’t even send my kids to public schools, but I voted in favor of the bond that paid for those upgrades because it is an actual improvement to the safety of our students and staff.

Schools in my district have been like that for decades, but mostly to just keep parents from coming in and just grabbing their kids from class. Highschools did it to stop kids from going to homeroom, skipping a few classes, and then coming back in the middle of the day. Then again, my highschool also had metal detectors and bag searches, but this was in the 90s during peak gang activity in one of the northeast's drug hubs.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Where I’m at in Texas my kids school (and where my wife works) almost seems fairly impenetrable for an event like this, so that does make me feel a bit better. 

Main entrance is locked up tight, camera and speaker system to be let in to a foyer which is then locked from the main hallway and front office. So it’s like double layer of security. 

However, still fairly vulnerable during morning drop off. If someone wanted to do damage a single entrance design won’t prevent death, just mitigate it to some degree. 

2 minutes ago, Comet said:

😂 how do you even prove in an application that you live in a designated gang warfare location? 

A certain recently departed user would probably write "I see black people at the supermarket" as his justification on the form.

• True 1

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Also single entrance schools are just bleak. Making schools feel even more like a prison: not a good idea

The thing is--just like the "don't say gay" bills--if teachers start quitting because of how miserable an environment it is, that's a feature not a bug for them, since their end goal is to just destroy the public school system anyway.

• True 1

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Makes sense. Limit rifles to gun ranges and gangs.

Constitution needs a rewrite but can we keep: "No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President"?

Single entrance schools are fine, I guess. But as someone who used to do liquor delivery to city buildings with tighter security than most high schools within a couple years of 9/11, and knowing someone who did radio / networking installation in buildings that housed city / state police within the last year... a little knowledge of a building and a little social engineering can get you in anywhere equipped with whatever you want.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

The thing is--just like the "don't say gay" bills--if teachers start quitting because of how miserable an environment it is, that's a feature not a bug for them, since their end goal is to just destroy the public school system anyway.

Hell I was just thinking of the kids lol

13 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Makes sense. Limit rifles to gun ranges and gangs.

Is this fucking crackhead going to weigh in on every single matter of national importance from now on and offer dumb or zero solutions as usual? Say it ain’t so.

Just now, Uaarkson said:

Is this fucking crackhead going to weigh in on every single matter of national importance from now on and offer dumb or zero solutions as usual? Say it ain’t so.

He tweeted the status screen of his Level 100+ Elden Ring character earlier this week, so it's not like he's doing work or anything