Update: Senate shelves the BBB Act

26 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You're correct.

However, a significant theoretical difference involves the "realization" of the benefit to the person earning it.

If only they were purely unrealized maybe; they can borrow against those unrealized gains and correct me if I'm wrong but that's not taxed as income either. 

2 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

If only they were purely unrealized maybe; they can borrow against those unrealized gains and correct me if I'm wrong but that's not taxed as income either. 

Are you referring to using the fair market value of the assets as a basis for bank loans?

The proceeds from the loans aren't counted as income, because loans aren't income-generating assets - they're expense-generating liabilities.

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

A better idea would be to tax loans over a certain threshold, as that would alleviate a lot of the concern you leftists have with billionaires avoiding income and capital gains taxes. 

What is the theoretical "benefit" that the loan provides that would be used to generate the tax?

Paid family/medical leave appears to have gotten the axe as well.

211020151235-01-manchin-1006-super-tease
WWW.CNN.COM

Democrats are expected to scrap paid family and medical leave from their cornerstone economic and climate package, discarding one of the central planks of President Joe Biden's proposal as they scramble to strike a deal with holdout senators...

• Guillotine 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If the goal was to let manchin write the bill he should have. Otherwise he is one of 50 and they should have given him the choice every other Dem gets: on balance is this worth voting for?

Letting Manchin write the bill is especially idiotic because who the fuck knows what Sinema is going to say about what he winds up crapping out. If he was the ONLY holdout then maybe this approach would make some amount of sense.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Letting Manchin write the bill is especially idiotic because who the fuck knows what Sinema is going to say about what he winds up crapping out. If he was the ONLY holdout then maybe this approach would make some amount of sense.

I think he's saying that since anything Manchin doesn't want is finding a way out, just let him write the thing since he doesn't seem to be giving up anything.

The House Democrats at most risk of losing their seats in the 2022 midterm elections are urging their colleagues not to jettison a set of popular programs from President Biden’s economic and social spending package, warning that failing to deliver on these promises to voters could pave the way for Republicans to regain control of Congress.

These vulnerable Democrats argue that expanding Medicaid into certain states, allowing the government to negotiate prescription drug prices, expanding Medicare coverage and providing for paid family leave are key to both motivating Democrats to vote in the midterm elections and to winning over the small but key group of independent voters who could otherwise back their Republican challengers.

“No normal person can understand why we can’t negotiate for drug prices,” Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-Mich.) said. “So what they see when we can’t pass that year after year is greed, and I have no problem saying I’m frustrated with the other side of the aisle, but in this case, my own party because that one is just a simple thing we could do.”

YCFJE2RXOQI6ZC7D4FFKVT5IVQ.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Democrats facing competitive reelection campaigns argue that expanding Medicaid into certain states, allowing the government to negotiate prescription drug prices, expanding Medicare coverage and providing for paid family leave are key to winning over voters.