PS5 is second-fastest console in the US in unit sales, behind #1 (PS4) by >1% (statistical dead heat)

SaysWho?

On 3/15/2021 at 4:24 AM, Xbob42 said:

My PS5 is collecting so much dust I'm actually kind of legit worried it'll suffer some heat damage once it finally gets some more use. That's not necessarily a knock against the system (although I do rarely play it) so much as a complain about this damn AC unit in my windows that legit piles up dust so fast that I have to dust/sweep my gaming area daily because so much piles up so quickly. I never really noticed until I got a white PC case and this white PS5. Now it's like... whoa, gross.

Yup, ive been putting the compressed air to mine (i use mine often, though). We don't have any white appliances or electronics besides the PS5, and its a great barometer for when its time to dust my entertainment center. Especially in the winter when we're burning firewood.

12 hours ago, nublood said:

Mine has only glitched once (wouldn’t eject disc had to system restart in safe mode) since launch. Other than that, it’s done everything I’ve asked it to. Every Xbox brand I’ve ever owned had numerous console and controller problems. I don’t own series X but my brother in law does and his nearly melted itself into his entertainment center. They sent him a replacement and then his 2.1 port went bad. lol

Thats strange (SeX overheating), because mine runs pretty damn cool for a console. I have a lazer thermometer  and when they were new I checked them quite a bit. The xbox just never got hot.

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

How long have you been a gamer? If you can't answer why people want modern, more powerful consoles, then I don't know what to tell you. I mean, Sony has the best lineup of games ever made last gen, and more coming. 

Send it back, because it isn't normal. Neither mine, or my sons, make any noise.

Yup, ive been putting the compressed air to mine (i use mine often, though). We don't have any white appliances or electronics besides the PS5, and its a great barometer for when its time to dust my entertainment center. Especially in the winter when we're burning firewood.

Thats strange (SeX overheating), because mine runs pretty damn cool for a console. I have a lazer thermometer  and when they were new I checked them quite a bit. The xbox just never got hot.

multi-quote.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/16/2021 at 7:46 AM, BloodyHell said:

How long have you been a gamer? If you can't answer why people want modern, more powerful consoles, then I don't know what to tell you. I mean, Sony has the best lineup of games ever made last gen, and more coming. 

LOL man, Sony should hire you to be the Playstation's "Hype Man." :D 

I mean, yeah I get why people want more powerful consoles. It's typically (in my experience) to be able to play bigger, better-looking, and presumably, better-playing games. It's just...I don't feel that's happened to the PS5 yet. I mean it's cool that it plays certain PS4 games a little better, and Astro's Playroom is neat, I guess. But...not sure if that's really worth the price of admission. 

And just to be clear, when I'm asking "Why are people buying PS5?" it's not "Why are idiots buying the dumb PS5, lololololuz?!?!" (I often post from my phone so sometimes my questions are a little short without context, I apologize) I'm genuinely curious why people are investing in the system already. Especially considering how many bugs/glitches/hardware problems it has. Plus, it's at its highest price point it will have, with the most shallow pool of games to choose from. Why not wait until a price drop and the actually REALLY good games come out? It's proven well for me to always wait at least a year before buying the newest Playstation console. It is rarely (if ever) worth it to get at launch. IMO, of course! To each their own.

Except this gen, apparently. Though to be fair, I only got the PS5 now because it was literally the ONLY thing my son wanted for Christmas, and I just happened to stumble on a decent deal for it. So in conclusion, I'm a massive hypocrite. :p 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I mean, yeah I get why people want more powerful consoles. It's typically (in my experience) to be able to play bigger, better-looking, and presumably, better-playing games. It's just...I don't feel that's happened to the PS5 yet. I mean it's cool that it plays certain PS4 games a little better, and Astro's Playroom is neat, I guess. But...not sure if that's really worth the price of admission. 

And just to be clear, when I'm asking "Why are people buying PS5?" it's not "Why are idiots buying the dumb PS5, lololololuz?!?!" (I often post from my phone so sometimes my questions are a little short without context, I apologize) I'm genuinely curious why people are investing in the system already. Especially considering how many bugs/glitches/hardware problems it has. Plus, it's at its highest price point it will have, with the most shallow pool of games to choose from. Why not wait until a price drop and the actually REALLY good games come out? It's proven well for me to always wait at least a year before buying the newest Playstation console. It is rarely (if ever) worth it to get at launch. IMO, of course! To each their own.

Except this gen, apparently. Though to be fair, I only got the PS5 now because it was literally the ONLY thing my son wanted for Christmas, and I just happened to stumble on a decent deal for it. So in conclusion, I'm a massive hypocrite. :p 

Great points and I laughed at the end.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

People right now are treating their $500 consoles like a GPU upgrade, and I think the very mild irony of that is pretty funny.

It really does improve PS4 games quite considerably, but this is true. In terms of true PS5 games I've played: Demon's Souls remake, Astro's Playroom, Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (yes, this is also on PS4, but c'mon, it's way better on PS5) and Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (same deal). Returnal will be my next true PS5 game most likely.

I hope this means I'll never get called a snob or an elitist for thinking they should tone down the graphical bullshit for FPS ever again. Yes, the games are extremely good compared to their old experiences, and like 99% of that is that sweet, sweet FPS. Death to 30!

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

People right now are treating their $500 consoles like a GPU upgrade, and I think the very mild irony of that is pretty funny.

People were conditioned to it with the mid-gen cycle.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I hope this means I'll never get called a snob or an elitist for thinking they should tone down the graphical bullshit for FPS ever again. Yes, the games are extremely good compared to their old experiences, and like 99% of that is that sweet, sweet FPS. Death to 30!

There will always be people that want to see something 'next-gen' that isn't tethered to framerate or resolution, and would accept less on both fronts if that's what it takes.

It's inevitable for these base consoles regardless.

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I remember when I got used to 60fps and suddenly 30fps felt like garbage. Now with Gsync on my PC, I'm more frequently playing games ~100fps and I'm worried about what this will mean for my perception of lower framerate games :p 

Like, right now I started Gears Tactics and it's in 4k HDR and ~100 fps. Feels good.

33 minutes ago, legend said:

I remember when I got used to 60fps and suddenly 30fps felt like garbage. Now with Gsync on my PC, I'm more frequently playing games ~100fps and I'm worried about what this will mean for my perception of lower framerate games :p 

Like, right now I started Gears Tactics and it's in 4k HDR and ~100 fps. Feels good.

Yeah, been used to 120+ for a while now and it feels so much smoother than 60, which at this point feels a bit choppy, but is still infinitely better than 30. Glad we're seeing a few 120 FPS console games as well. They're not really hitting that mark for the most part but they're getting close enough for government work and with VRR it'll feel just fine. It's my dream that we leapfrog 60Hz completely by next gen and everyone's on board for high FPS experiences, but I'll even take 60 standard at this point! It means I can actually comfortably play console games without discomfort. 30 at this point can legit cause me to feel ill if it's not absolutely "perfect" 30, which means if it has even a hint of camera-based motion blur (which they ALL fucking do) then it's nausea city.

Progress is being made, though, and I love it. My only fear is that we start slipping back once developers decide games don't look gritty and filthy enough. Sacrifice the resolution at that point you assholes! Never the FPS!

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I've always been on the FPS > resolution bandwagon, so I'm with ya.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

And on that front it's fun seeing all the FPS boosts coming to consoles (60 fps, 120fps) and people getting excited for them when a year ago it didn't matter and games ran fine 🤷‍♀️

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And on that front it's fun seeing all the FPS boosts coming to consoles (60 fps, 120fps) and people getting excited for them when a year ago it didn't matter and games ran fine 🤷‍♀️

Over a decade of "I can't even tell the difference."

I think a lot of it is exposure. I couldn’t consistently tell you a game was running at 30 or 60 for a while when 60 was kind of rare. But once I played most games at 60 I started to really notice when they weren’t. I am just not super perceptive at that stuff.  

Just now, Paperclyp said:

I think a lot of it is exposure. I couldn’t consistently tell you a game was running at 30 or 60 for a while when 60 was kind of rare. But once I played most games at 60 I started to really notice when they weren’t. I am just not super perceptive at that stuff.  

Can you tell when a game you're playing is running at 60 and then a cut scene pops up and you can tell it is 30?

I have family and friends who still can't tell the difference from auto-smoothing that new TV's default to that force TV shows and films to play at 60fps instead of 24fps even when I have literally shown them, turning it off and then on. It is insane to me. I'm like: "see how they move around like its a documentary or a sports game?"

Them: "I guess? Not really." Yikes. Same with games from 30 to 60fps for normies. I suppose it's something you have to consistently do to get used to so you notice the difference. To me it's always been quite stark.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I have family and friends who still can't tell the difference from auto-smoothing that new TV's default to that force TV shows and films to play at 60fps instead of 24fps even when I have literally shown them, turning it off and then on. It is insane to me. I'm like: "see how they move around like its a documentary or a sports game?"

Them: "I guess? Not really." Yikes. Same with games from 30 to 60fps for normies. I suppose it's something you have to consistently do to get used to so you notice the difference. To me it's always been quite stark.

Not auto smoothing related but HDTV related. I remember years ago when I got my TV. My mom always said she couldn't tell the difference between HD and SD content, and told me "There's no such thing as HD Cartoons" or something like that.

So some time later she'd say she wanted to come over to watch some shows in HD on my TV. (Bitch I thought you couldn't tell the difference :p )

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Normally I wouldn't care about other people being so unable to perceive differences so obvious my 6 year old daughter can call out the difference (although she can't say what the difference is, just that one is weird), but then I imagine hordes of these people with driver's licenses and suddenly our automobile mortality rate makes sense. 

It's like... what else in the world do you not notice? The frame rate doesn't matter at the end of the day but I know that can't be all you don't perceive!

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Can you tell when a game you're playing is running at 60 and then a cut scene pops up and you can tell it is 30?

yeah absolutely and now I can tell you I’d it’s running at 30 or if it’s running at something better. I’m just saying that before I consistently ran into 60, I had a tough time with it. 

On 3/17/2021 at 2:31 PM, GameDadGrant said:

It's more than worth the price of admission for millions, its that simple.

Playstation has given us generations of great games, and that didn't stop because ps5 released.

Framerate is far more important to me than graphics or next gen specific games. If Nintendo made a switch with more power than a 5 year old phone, I'd jump on that right away too.

Same reason im also very happy with my Series X, framerates and better loading times are way more than worth the money.

• Like 1

Man, I really don't share the same optimism about framerate as you all.  Everyone's amped on the current state of 60fps, but it won't be sustainable long term without neutering 'performance mode' visuals much further than we see now.  Gaming has never been more cross-gen than it is currently.  It's heavily leaning on its last-gen foot rather than next-gen forward.  A lot could change when the balance shifts.

On the positive, even more indies should get to 60fps.  And there is the promise of better upscaling on the way from AMD.  But how's that going to look when upscaling from a low native resolution to a performance-mode grade picture?

14 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Normally I wouldn't care about other people being so unable to perceive differences so obvious my 6 year old daughter can call out the difference (although she can't say what the difference is, just that one is weird), but then I imagine hordes of these people with driver's licenses and suddenly our automobile mortality rate makes sense. 

It's like... what else in the world do you not notice? The frame rate doesn't matter at the end of the day but I know that can't be all you don't perceive!

Yeah, it's kind of mind-boggling. But it is the case, sadly.

Frame rate drops are definitely an issue, but if a game has a consistent frame rate then I get used to whatever it is and it's not really a problem for me.  Higher frame rates are great, but only really noticeable for me if I switch back and forth in the same game.  Otherwise, I get accustomed to it very quickly and am not thinking or caring about it.  I know a lot of people instantly vomit if something is under 60, but I can't think of any examples where a lower but consistent frame rate ever presented a problem for me.

I also agree with @crispy4000 that the current high frame rates on the new consoles are probably temporary and due to the cross-gen focus.  We will see games that push the hardware as time goes on, and frame rates will take a hit at the expense of graphical bells and whistles that people have come to expect of the new machines.

I don't think 60fps will be less common than the previous generation, to clarify.  The CPU gains alone should help many more games make it there.  All in all, that's good.

What I don't trust is performance modes on these base machines looking 'good' for very long.  There comes a point when the compromises just wouldn't be worth it for some titles.  At least we'll be getting the option to choose our preference, if the pattern holds.

Just now, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Frame rate drops are definitely an issue, but if a game has a consistent frame rate then I get used to whatever it is and it's not really a problem for me.  Higher frame rates are great, but only really noticeable for me if I switch back and forth in the same game.  Otherwise, I get accustomed to it very quickly and am not thinking or caring about it.  I know a lot of people instantly vomit if something is under 60, but I can't think of any examples where a lower but consistent frame rate ever presented a problem for me.

I also agree with @crispy4000 that the current high frame rates on the new consoles are probably temporary and due to the cross-gen focus.  We will see games that push the hardware as time goes on, and frame rates will take a hit at the expense of graphical bells and whistles that people have come to expect of the new machines.

It is consistently an issue for me mainly due to two major factors: 1. If a 30 FPS image isn't crystal clear (no motion blur or weird bloom or awful AA) then it feels absolutely sickening to move a camera around. But even if they nail this part... 2. I'm constantly dealing with less information per second. 30 FPS feels so choppy and bad to me because it doesn't matter how consistent it is, you're still losing temporal resolution. That is to say, imagine someone throws a ball at you. Now take that series of images, cut out every other image. It suddenly becomes much more difficult (not hard, just more difficult) to track the ball, but also to catch the ball, because you're basically having to mentally interpolate those frames to really follow the trajectory unless they're throwing it from REALLY far away and you have a long time to track it.

Essentially the faster the action, the more annoying an issue it is. There are games where it's more relevant, or less relevant, but since I love high reaction time games, low FPS just makes everything feel like a guessing game to some extent. And while I might eventually get used to it (as in, I stop complaining, not that it stops affecting play), I never stop being aware of it.

It also doesn't help that it's basically the reverse version of the soap opera effect. Games just look so much better and more pristine when running at at least 60 FPS to me. All the animation pops so much better. And this is true whether the game is slow or fast. I remember there was some 2D indie game a few years back, Road Not Taken, that looked pretty cool. I played it for a short while but was very put off by how its very nice, smooth, flat 2D art style contrasted miserably with its 30 FPS lock, which just felt chunky and awful. It's a game where the FPS "doesn't matter," but to this day I haven't gone back to it. I dunno, to me, FPS is part of the presentation, and if you care so little about presentation you'd lock a 2D game that could run at 200 FPS on a Rasperry Pi at 30 for no real reason other than maybe you didn't think about it when building the game, I think that sucks.

If it really doesn't matter, stop locking frame rates!

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

If it really doesn't matter, stop locking frame rates!

Not as much of a problem today as some console games opting for unlocked framerates when they really shouldn't.

A 30fps game looks fluid in comparison to a 37fps game on a standard display.  Modes that do that are trash if you don't have a VRR display.