The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword HD [Jul 16, 2021 ]

Keyser_Soze

26 minutes ago, best3444 said:

If you can play with the pro controller I'm buying this. 

zelda-skyword-sword-hd-nintendo-switch-p
WCCFTECH.COM

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD for the Switch will offer support for the Switch Pro controller alongside various QoL improvements.

You can.  But should you?  Depends on what previews say about it.  You'll swing with the right control stick. 

11 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

zelda-skyword-sword-hd-nintendo-switch-p
WCCFTECH.COM

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD for the Switch will offer support for the Switch Pro controller alongside various QoL improvements.

You can.  But should you?  Depends on what previews say about it.  You'll swing with the right control stick. 

Yea, I'll have to wait for previews and reviews to see if the game is fully playable with the controller. Swinging with the right control stick seems awkward.

I'd really hope they are improved.  Was constantly recalibrating Wii Motion+.  

I also hope they changed the motion flying controls.  Flapping the damn Wiimote, and then contorting my hand to aim the Loftwing or beetle was a wrist-killer.

And unless I missed it, that video didn't show any bow+arrow controls.  Now those were pretty good in the Wii version.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'd really hope they are improved.  Was constantly recalibrating Wii Motion+.  

I also hope they changed the motion flying controls.  Flapping the damn Wiimote, and then contorting my hand to aim the Loftwing or beetle was a wrist-killer.

And unless I missed it, that video didn't show any bow+arrow controls.  Now those were pretty good in the Wii version.

Agreed on all points. It was kinda fun/interesting at first, but several hours in of moving my wrist around so much...that brought the pain. Especially those sections where you have to twist the Boss Key around to fit the shape of the lock? Ugh. 

This is one of my least favorite Legend of Zelda games, so I hope being able to play with a controller makes things for the better. It did have some cool sections, admittedly like the

Spoiler

Silent Realm! 

But those were far and few between and overall the game didn't quite capture my attention the same way Twilight Princess did. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I think analog for the sword on the right stick could play well, I’m definitely going to play this at some point, it’s new to me!

That's good news. I never beat this but I loved it. I love any Zelda game really. I'm definitely buying this next month. First Switch game in a LONG time.

Another observation about the trailer, and this could be an artifact of video compression on Youtube (and also how most Nintendo-shown games on Youtube have duller colors than the actual game) but I was not impressed by the "HD" graphics shown.  I was expecting a little more pop, and fewer jaggies, as the Switch should be able to handle it.  

When I get this game I'm definitely going to compare it against running it at hi-res on Dolphin for PC, which is how I played through the game the first time.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:29 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

And that trailer

The Item shit was the single most infuriating thing about Skyward Sword (yes, even more than Fi), and was one of the reasons I stopped trying to play through it again. Once I saw that trailer a few days ago, I knew I had no other reason not to give it another go. I am so glad Nintendo addressed this stupid bug/quirk/feature in the game. The other now optional stuff was really cool to see, and makes it more likely veteran players will dive back into this.

And of course, the 60fps is going to be sweet. I distinctly noticed that immediately when the first trailer was shown, and was pleasantly surprised. It honestly gives me some hope that if Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess end up on Switch, they may get the 60fps treatment (WWHD less so I suppose given some of the technical limitations on Wii U)

3 hours ago, imthesoldier said:

The Item shit was the single most infuriating thing about Skyward Sword (yes, even more than Fi)

Absolutely and I really like Skyward Sword. The item description thing was mind-numbingly annoying. 

Unrelated but if they also come out with Twilight & Wind Waker, I'd probably buy a Switch just for all the Zeldas. 

I'm officially buying this. I just hope the pro controller works well with the game. 

@imthesoldier So this new version fixed:

"The Item shit was the single most infuriating thing about Skyward Sword (yes, even more than Fi), and was one of the reasons I stopped trying to play through it again". 

Anything else annoying about this game before I make the decision to buy it? Reviews were stellar. 

On 7/8/2021 at 4:25 PM, best3444 said:

I'm officially buying this. I just hope the pro controller works well with the game. 

@imthesoldier So this new version fixed:

"The Item shit was the single most infuriating thing about Skyward Sword (yes, even more than Fi), and was one of the reasons I stopped trying to play through it again". 

Anything else annoying about this game before I make the decision to buy it? Reviews were stellar. 

Yup. I was aware of that, hence why I commented on it. I was so freaking happy Nintendo actually fixed that. 

• Thanks 1

This might be the first Nintendo title I've bought for the Switch. All the other games I have are indies that I got on sale or other third party games. I rented Skyward Sword for Wii once and I really hated the motion controls. The swinging the sword depending on your enemy was cool, I liked that part, but the items and doing simple shit like rolling was a major headache for me and I just couldn't bother with it anymore. 

So essentially, I've never actually played Skyward Sword, and I'm looking at it as a "new" Zelda game.

28 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

So essentially, I've never actually played Skyward Sword, and I'm looking at it as a "new" Zelda game.

Not only a ‘new’ Zelda, but the last of the 3D style OoT ones we’ll get for some time.  So enjoy it for that too.  It’s one of the better ones.

56 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Not only a ‘new’ Zelda, but the last of the 3D style OoT ones we’ll get for some time.  So enjoy it for that too.  It’s one of the better ones.

I'm curious to know how you'd rank the OoT style Zelda's. Twilight Princess might be the only one I'd put below SS and even then I probably wouldn't.

10 hours ago, Nokt said:

I'm curious to know how you'd rank the OoT style Zelda's. Twilight Princess might be the only one I'd put below SS and even then I probably wouldn't.

1. OoT - Nearly perfect, fully fleshed out, good challenge puzzle-wise, original at the time but still holds up, excellent pacing, etc.

2. SS - Flawed pacing choices at times, but has the most creative puzzles and best bosses in 3D Zelda.  It’s a fresher feeling game than it had any right be, especially for being the last of its type.  The positives all hugely outweigh the negatives for me.

3. MM - Creative, fun, has the most interesting vibe, but is also too short and rides OoT’s coattails a bit too much.  Still neck and neck with SS for me.  If it was longer, it’d be my #2.  The mask abilities are nifty as well.

4. TP - Longest 3D Zelda that doesn’t quite justify its length.  Some pacing choices are as bad as SS’s, and the game feels lower stakes the futher in you get.  Dungeons are great though, when they don’t regurgitate OoT tropes too plainly.

5. WW - Best story, art design and most unique overworld.  It’s an endearing game.  But it also has the most basic dungeons, worst combat balance, least unique secondary items, and doesn’t respect your time with its treasure maps and Triforce Quest.  And that cut 3rd dungeon moment, where you’re just handed the pendent, was super awkward to me.

All still good games, all worth playing.

13 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

1. OoT - Nearly perfect, fully fleshed out, good challenge puzzle-wise, original at the time but still holds up, excellent pacing, etc.

2. SS - Flawed pacing choices at times, but has the most creative puzzles and best bosses in 3D Zelda.  It’s a fresher feeling game than it had any right be, especially for being the last of its type.  The positives all hugely outweigh the negatives for me.

3. MM - Creative, fun, has the most interesting vibe, but is also too short and rides OoT’s coattails a bit too much.  Still neck and neck with SS for me.  If it was longer, it’d be my #2.  The mask abilities are nifty as well.

4. TP - Longest 3D Zelda that doesn’t quite justify its length.  Some pacing choices are as bad as SS’s, and the game feels lower stakes the futher in you get.  Dungeons are great though, when they don’t regurgitate OoT tropes too plainly.

5. WW - Best story, art design and most unique overworld.  It’s an endearing game.  But it also has the most basic dungeons, worst combat balance, least unique secondary items, and doesn’t respect your time with its treasure maps and Triforce Quest.  And that cut 3rd dungeon moment, where you’re just handed the pendent, was super awkward to me.

All still good games, all worth playing.

Nice to see you have SS ranked 2. 

16 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

This might be the first Nintendo title I've bought for the Switch. All the other games I have are indies that I got on sale or other third party games. I rented Skyward Sword for Wii once and I really hated the motion controls. The swinging the sword depending on your enemy was cool, I liked that part, but the items and doing simple shit like rolling was a major headache for me and I just couldn't bother with it anymore. 

I'm basically in the same boat as you. 

10 hours ago, best3444 said:

Nice to see you have SS ranked 2. 

It’s an upopular option, I’ll say that.  A lot of people hated the motion controls and Fi.  The pacing flaws near the end make it easier to dislike.

But at its best, damn is it good.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The world design is super cramped compared to BotW, but that also makes it closer to Majora in many ways.

32 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think Skyward Sword is probably tied with Wind Waker for being the two most poorly paced Zelda games. They're both really bad in that regard.

They both have the most obvious moments of padding.  Twilight Princess gets my vote on that though.  It doesn’t know what to do with itself between dungeons once the Twilight Realm goes away, and the beginning of the game is so so bad.  And ugly.