The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword HD [Jul 16, 2021 ]

Keyser_Soze

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

your damn journey keeps making me want to break from cyberpunk and play lol

Enjoy Cyberpunk. Zelda ain't going anywhere and maybe when you get to it it the controls will be patched.

I took a night off of gaming tonight. Will be back at it tomorrow. 

Just now, best3444 said:

Enjoy Cyberpunk. Zelda ain't going anywhere and maybe when you get to it it the controls will be patched.

I took a night off of gaming tonight. Will be back at it tomorrow. 

Yeah, that’s kinda why I bought it even though I knew it wasn’t time to play it, it’s not going to go on sale any time soon before I will want to play it, and I just wanted to see how it looked. Keep the updates coming though, gets me excited for when it’s time. 

One thing I want to check is how it looked emulated in hd again and see how it looked because I know they toned down the watercolor filter but I remember REALLY liking it before. I wonder if I hate that too.

Ugh, I held off on buying this because I remember it gave me a really bad first impression when I played it on Wii (like a full decade ago, crazy) but after a couple of drinks I guess I’m in a mood for second chances. Downloading now, maybe I’ll actually play it soon, but no promises. 

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Meant more as in which dungeon/area, but glad you're enjoying it so far!

Only beat one dungeon but I'm very close to the second one. 

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Ugh, I held off on buying this because I remember it gave me a really bad first impression when I played it on Wii (like a full decade ago, crazy) but after a couple of drinks I guess I’m in a mood for second chances. Downloading now, maybe I’ll actually play it soon, but no promises. 

Be prepared for shitty controls. Motion sucks, too. 

29 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Bunch of fucking babies in this thread. “Oh noes I have to hold down a button to controls the cameras!”

You kids are soft.

Lol. Not soft as I'm 9 hours in and enjoying it but for god sakes the controls are terrible. I'm over it now and will beat this game cause it's great.

30 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Lol. Not soft as I'm 9 hours in and enjoying it but for god sakes the controls are terrible. I'm over it now and will beat this game cause it's great.

indeed the controls are horrible...last night did the first fight against Girwhatevertheheckhisnameis and it was way more of a hassle than it should have been because of the controls. 

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

indeed the controls are horrible...last night did the first fight against Girwhatevertheheckhisnameis and it was way more of a hassle than it should have been because of the controls. 

That was a bitch. It was really difficult knowing where to make the swings at and I died 3 times trying to beat him. Felt great when it was over. 

I just landed in the volcano area. Enjoying it so far. By the time I got to the end of that first dungeon, I had more or less “solved” the controls. By that I mean I don’t really have to think about them. For the camera, when I’m running around I usually just tap ZL to snap it behind Link. I only feel the need to hold L and use the right stick when I’m in a new area and need to look around to get my bearings. 

I got real mad at my stupid switch last night. Was doing the arrow pumpkin toss shooting and my motion controls are straight up broken and it’s a joke. I barely play this stupid system and it doesn’t work. Worst of all I switched to button only on that game and motion controls still function so it was basically impossible 

loved the pirate ship dungeon though

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’m in the desert area after the second dungeon. This game feels a lot more focused and linear compared to most Zelda games, which I’m enjoying. 

You're further than me, now. I need to get back to playing. Glad you're having a good time with it.

• 2 weeks later...

So far first 3 dungeons down, and as I vaguely remember from my first playthrough a decade ago the beginning of the game is a chore.  You start out with the worst weapons of any Zelda game, made even more unbearable because the motion controls for the Switch are worse than the Wii.  I literally have to recalibrate after one swing if I want to do any kind of aiming.  And fuck the beetle.  Can't wait to not have to fly that piece of garbage as often, and get to the fun part of the game.  I hope the bow works well with the Joycons, because that was my favorite aspect of the game in the Wii version.  If it doesn't... I'll probably just quit the Switch version because the only thing I'm enjoying is the 60 fps.  Someone made a 4k texture update to the Wii version on Dolphin, so I might try to play that because it looks a lot better than the Switch remake and I can use better motion controls.

And after spending so much time in BotW, they really took every single system introduced in SS and made them fun: Stamina, gliding, upgrading, weapon degredation, on--the-fly weapon switching, combat, ingredients, lore, quests, map pings, etc were all improved.

On 8/17/2021 at 11:34 AM, TheLeon said:

I’m in the desert area after the second dungeon. This game feels a lot more focused and linear compared to most Zelda games, which I’m enjoying. 

They basically made the path to the dungeon a dungeon itself, with puzzles and pathways [doors] that need to be unlocked.

26 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

And after spending so much time in BotW, they really took every single system introduced in SS and made them fun: Stamina, gliding, upgrading, weapon degredation, on--the-fly weapon switching, combat, ingredients, lore, quests, map pings, etc were all improved.

Weapon degradation was never fun.

4 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm a fan of SS and can agree to most of this.  Just not combat and weapon degradation.

I don't think BoTW is very well balanced by the end of the game.  The harder enemies become straight up damage sponges.  You can try to get creative in how you take them down, but the vast majority of players won't discover exploits on their own.  For most, it's becomes a game of coaxing out perfect dodges, using up your better inventory items if you can't take the tedium.

And the bosses?  They're all forgettable.  They went from the best bosses in the 3D series to the worst.  I don't know about Switch, but the final form of the last boss on Wii U was also riddled with slowdown.

16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Weapon degradation was never fun.

It wasn't a problem using Amiibos, which drop better-than-average weapons.  So you never have to worry about running out, but even if you do you always have the option of running away from the fight which you can't do in SS.

12 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm a fan of SS and can agree to most of this.  Just not combat and weapon degradation.

I don't think BoTW is very well balanced by the end of the game.  The harder enemies become straight up damage sponges.  You can try to get creative in how you take them down, but the vast majority of players won't discover exploits on their own.  For most, it's becomes a game of coaxing out perfect dodges, using up your better inventory items if you can't take the tedium.

And the bosses?  They're all forgettable.  They went from the best bosses in the 3D series to the worst.  I don't know about Switch, but the final form of the last boss on Wii U was also riddled with slowdown.

So far I have not enjoyed battling the first 3 bosses in SS, but most of that unenjoyment is the inaccurate controls.

29 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

So far I have not enjoyed battling the first 3 bosses in SS, but most of that unenjoyment is the inaccurate controls.

It really sounds like they screwed the pooch on the motion controls on Switch.  Super sad since the technology has supposedly advanced.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It really sounds like they screwed the pooch on the motion controls on Switch.  Super sad since the technology has supposedly advanced.

Perhaps the gyros work best when they work together and have 2 points of reference, but when the joycons are split there is a lot of drift when trying to emulate the Wii's IR aiming with gyro aiming from a single joycon.  And after one good swing with the sword you need to recalibrate.  Very curious to unlock the bow and arrow and see how that does, so I'll just have to tough out the controls until then.

Ok so I just finished the game about 10 minutes ago and holy shit! It was amazing. Spoilers...

Spoiler

like I was wishing for this cool twist where somehow the demise gets into the soul of groove, turning him in to ganon.  But whatever, it didn’t matter. Groose was a decoy. All that mattered really was emotional payoff! Crying my ass off on everybody being so happy. The music... damn. That’s what did it.  Nintendo just nailed it.  Never have I watch credits so gleefully. The score was brilliant.  Anyway, good finish 

I thought it was old enough 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 10:09 PM, Captain Pickle said:

Ok so I just finished the game about 10 minutes ago and holy shit! It was amazing. Spoilers...

Hide contents

like I was wishing for this cool twist where somehow the demise gets into the soul of groove, turning him in to ganon.  But whatever, it didn’t matter. Groose was a decoy. All that mattered really was emotional payoff! Crying my ass off on everybody being so happy. The music... damn. That’s what did it.  Nintendo just nailed it.  Never have I watch credits so gleefully. The score was brilliant.  Anyway, good finish 

I thought it was old enough 

Spoiler

Holy shit, now that I look at Groose I totally see it and I can’t believe I didn’t see it before!

• Like 1