The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword HD [Jul 16, 2021 ]

Keyser_Soze

For a company that focuses on ease of use for its players, it picked a convoluted controller scheme.  A normal developer, I would hold out hope for more button options being patched in, but we all know that ain’t happening. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

For a company that focuses on ease of use for its players, it picked a convoluted controller scheme.  A normal developer, I would hold out hope for more button options being patched in, but we all know that ain’t happening. 

Have you played this on Switch?

Yea. I am early on and have yet to get used to the controls. It’s a bummer because I am excited about playing a traditional Zelda that I have never played before. 

Ive honestly considered that I think so could tape down the lb button and just use sword when locked on that way.

• Haha 2

Yea. I am early on and have yet to get used to the controls. It’s a bummer because I am excited about playing a traditional Zelda that I have never played before. 

I'm going to try motion controls this evening to test it out. What a mess lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm going to try motion controls this evening to test it out. What a mess lol.

Let me know. I am pretty close to trying them out as well. It would require to play the switch on the tv which I never do. 

7 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

People say stuff like this but are like, "but wow the PSN is so great!" and it gets me every time, lol. If you can deal with the garbage PSN, you can *EASILY* "deal" with Nintendo Switch Online. 

Meh I don’t wanna be the guy to sit and defend PSN but it’s certainly better than Nintendo’s offering. When Nintendo has a basic party feature that allows you to chat with friends / form parties on their online service we can have a discussion about which is better. That is a bare minimum feature and it is embarrassing it doesn’t exist. 

Also you created a guy who as far as I know doesn’t really exist to argue against. Nobody likes the PSN. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It's more you didn't know about a basic feature that's been around for over a decade. Lordy. 

If you're speaking about Nintendo online then yea, I completely ignored that trash for years. I didn't know if they let you dl digitally etc. I'm a noob to the switch even though I owned it since launch. I barely touched it so I know nothing about it. 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'll post impressions comparing buttons vs motion.

Ok, I played 2 hours with motion controls and gave up on them. I did like you could control the camera with the right analog stick but overall motion control is a headache. The last straw was trying to balance on a rope and I just couldn't do it. 

Combat with motion control is no better than with the buttons. So the last hour I played with the controller and I'm going to suck it up about the camera. I'm used to it now so whatever. The game is fun enough cause I did put in 3 hours this evening. 

So overall, @ManUtdRedDevils if you want to keep playing the game do it in handeld. Hold dat LB button down baby!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Meh I don’t wanna be the guy to sit and defend PSN but it’s certainly better than Nintendo’s offering. When Nintendo has a basic party feature that allows you to chat with friends / form parties on their online service we can have a discussion about which is better. That is a bare minimum feature and it is embarrassing it doesn’t exist.

We were talking mainly store features and when it comes down to that Nintendo's store is better.

33 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

We were talking mainly store features and when it comes down to that Nintendo's store is better.

I reread it and I dunno if everyone is on the same page with that precise context; but regardless the PS5 store interface is total dog shit, but the PS4’s is fine. The Switch’s is also fine. 

12 hours ago, stepee said:

The lb button thing isn’t like a huge deal breaker or anything it’s just that it’s just such a terrible decision with such an easy fix that it’s amazing that nobody thought this through during qa.

How would you have handled the controls? Also, holding on to lb is extremely close to a deal breaker lol.

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

As fucked up the controls are the game is classic Zelda fun. I'm in my first temple with no issues thus far. Puzzles so far have been easy. The most difficult part of the game is it's damn controls. I played 2.5 more hours this evening. 

I’ve heard the dungeons are just flat out some of the best Zelda dungeons, so I’m looking forward to them. Just…kinda hope they patch this by the time I finish Cyberpunk and Ys!

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’ve heard the dungeons are just flat out some of the best Zelda dungeons, so I’m looking forward to them. Just…kinda hope they patch this by the time I finish Cyberpunk and Ys!

Yea, the dungeon I'm at is fun and not frustratingly difficult. I read they get difficult though. 

Also, I just don't think they'll patch this. Does Nintendo EVER patch games?

56 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea, the dungeon I'm at is fun and not frustratingly difficult. I read they get difficult though. 

Also, I just don't think they'll patch this. Does Nintendo EVER patch games?

SOMETIMES. It’s happened. They did patch botw to run better than launch for instance.

• Thanks 1

finally fired this one up the other day just to test it out...wasn't a huge fan of the motion controls when it originally came out and that hasn't changed. The button controls aren't horrible, but they aren't great either. Wish they'd spent more time on it and overhauled the control scheme to be more like other games, but it is what it is I guess

9 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

finally fired this one up the other day just to test it out...wasn't a huge fan of the motion controls when it originally came out and that hasn't changed. The button controls aren't horrible, but they aren't great either. Wish they'd spent more time on it and overhauled the control scheme to be more like other games, but it is what it is I guess

Yup, playing with the controller is a bitch. I'm constantly swinging my sword because I want to adjust the camera with the right analog stick. It's pretty terrible and the reviews for this game should be much lower than an 82 average at meta critic. This is inexcusable and Nintendo doesn't give a shit.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Yup, playing with the controller is a bitch. I'm constantly swinging my sword because I want to adjust the camera with the right analog stick. It's pretty terrible and the reviews for this game should be much lower than an 82 average at meta critic. This is inexcusable and Nintendo doesn't give a shit.

How could they have got around it?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

How could they have got around it?

32 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Give an option to Switch it. Make camera default right stick and attack is only activated on right stick with LB or when you are locked on

And you’re a teacher? Come on bruh. Problem solving 101. 

Played 3 more hours of this today. I'm really enjoying the pace in this game. Things move along smoothly without too many headaches.

The controls are god awful and it takes away a lot from this game. Because this is classic Zelda at it's best in every other way and I can't get enough. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Played 3 more hours of this today. I'm really enjoying the pace in this game. Things move along smoothly without too many headaches.

The controls are god awful and it takes away a lot from this game. Because this is classic Zelda at it's best in every other way and I can't get enough. 

I’m puzzled by the design choice of hold the LB to move the camera. I mean who thought this was a good idea. 

12 hours ago, Biggie said:

I’m puzzled by the design choice of hold the LB to move the camera. I mean who thought this was a good idea. 

I have NO idea but the game is so fun and entertaining I'm just adjusting to the controls. I've died a lot from control issues. The game is great overall. I absolutely love Zelda games and this is hitting the spot.

• Like 1