The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword HD [Jul 16, 2021 ]

Keyser_Soze

1 hour ago, Bjomesphat said:

I've only played it on the Wii, which didn't have any camera controls aside from centering, and it was fine. The game was built around not having full control over the camera.

Like I said, I played it on the Wii as well. I'm more concerned about the combat and camera with the pro controller. 

@stepee My switch was so dusty in a corner in my closet. I had to vacuum it all over to clean it. Then I went through the store and bought SS. It's still downloading so I'm going to wait and play tomorrow. 

The Switch menus are so ugly and archaic. I went to recently new games and SS was nowhere to be seen. So I searched it which was a pain in the ass. Nintendo is so behind in online it's disgusting.

Anyhow, I'll post impressions of the game tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee My switch was so dusty in a corner in my closet. I had to vacuum it all over to clean it. Then I went through the store and bought SS. It's still downloading so I'm going to wait and play tomorrow. 

The Switch menus are so ugly and archaic. I went to recently new games and SS was nowhere to be seen. So I searched it which was a pain in the ass. Nintendo is so behind in online it's disgusting.

Anyhow, I'll post impressions of the game tomorrow.

I meant you could have used a cloth. Surprised SS wasn’t under new games, but I’m sure it’s in the top selling list. Hope you like it! I’m looking forward to playing more once I knock out a couple more games.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:19 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

Do we know when it was conceived exactly? I'm pretty sure they had a good idea that the 35th anniversary was rolling around. If they decided that they were doing a skyward sword remaster and slapped whatever they had together in a year that's a slap in the face. But also Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't do big budget stuff, they do bare minimum with maximum price and people eat it up.

When was the Mario 3D All Stars pack announced? If that was pre-pandemic and they weren't willing to do more than the absolute bare minimum for something like Mario 64 then yeah it wasn't a pandemic budget slapdash thing that they redid Skyward Sword this way.

I enjoyed this as it was my first time through it, but after beating it, I don't think the analog controls were very good. It felt like it had high latency response and while it worked 90% of the time, there were numerous occasions were you could audibly can hear me flicking the analog multiple times while Link just stands there doing nothing, and then naturally gets hit in the face by something.

Just give me a fucking button mapping for executing the attack with directional input for the direction of the attack. Would have been much better.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

When was the Mario 3D All Stars pack announced? If that was pre-pandemic and they weren't willing to do more than the absolute bare minimum for something like Mario 64 then yeah it wasn't a pandemic budget slapdash thing that they redid Skyward Sword this way.

It was announced in September 2020 (feels like it was longer than that :p ) and then of course it was a limited thing so they ended it March 2021. Those were emulated games though so they did more work on this Zelda

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

More impressions on this would be nice. I thought every one here would buy it. I'm usually not hyped about a Nintendo game but I am ready for an old school Zelda. 

Post Switch impressions with using the controller! :p

You need to make a let’s play thread. See @TheLeon for how to do this appropriately.

Well I played 2.5 hours. Yup, camera blows when you have to hold down the left bumper to get better camera angles. It's nonstop controlling it that way so I'm used to it now. Really dumb how that was handled.

The sword combat with the controller isn't half bad. It's far from perfect but it gets the job done. 

Controlling the bird wasn't fun, either. Hopefully there isn't much flying in this game.

Overall, I'm disappointed about the camera controls but everything else is pretty good. We shall see how long this game lasts me. The dialogue is much more mature in this one. I'll play more tomorrow. 

I’m enjoying it and I’m probably more than halfway complete.  However,  sort of recently my motion controls are bugged out that it’s basically unplayable but only when using aiming.  It just vears to the left to the max until I hit reset ‘y’. I press y more than any other button. If it worked I’d be loving this game. I still sorta am but I love the Zelda hook

20 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I’m enjoying it and I’m probably more than halfway complete.  However,  sort of recently my motion controls are bugged out that it’s basically unplayable but only when using aiming.  It just vears to the left to the max until I hit reset ‘y’. I press y more than any other button. If it worked I’d be loving this game. I still sorta am but I love the Zelda hook

I decided against motion controls all together. 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

This thread has started to give me a headache.

Yes. I still have no idea if I should buy this or not. I'll wait until it's not 60 bucks, considering I just spent almost 500 on the new series of Lego Super Mario/Luigi.

13 hours ago, best3444 said:

Um, we are talking about Nintendo online. It's utter shit so I had no idea they would offer something so convenient. 

People say stuff like this but are like, "but wow the PSN is so great!" and it gets me every time, lol. If you can deal with the garbage PSN, you can *EASILY* "deal" with Nintendo Switch Online. 

On topic, Skyward Sword is a much better experience on Switch than it was on Wii. I played a bit of it with "button" controls and it's weird...but good. The bump to HD is nice. And the fewer amounts of sets dialogue makes the opening much smoother. I haven't even left Skyloft yet but I like what I've seen so far. 

Hey, have any of you guys tried to throw one of those cat-looking things off the cliff yet? They are called Remlits and look like this:

spacer.png

Give it a try, you might be surprised what happens...! :D

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

People say stuff like this but are like, "but wow the PSN is so great!" and it gets me every time, lol. If you can deal with the garbage PSN, you can *EASILY* "deal" with Nintendo Switch Online. 

On topic, Skyward Sword is a much better experience on Switch than it was on Wii. I played a bit of it with "button" controls and it's weird...but good. The bump to HD is nice. And the fewer amounts of sets dialogue makes the opening much smoother. I haven't even left Skyloft yet but I like what I've seen so far. 

Hey, have any of you guys tried to throw one of those cat-looking things off the cliff yet? They are called Remlits and look like this:

spacer.png

Give it a try, you might be surprised what happens...! :D

Thank you for the response. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking to button controls. I'll try to drop a cat off a cliff, too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Thank you for the response. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking to button controls. I'll try to drop a cat off a cliff, too.

I was surprised what happened the first time I tried it. I literally LOL'd. :p 

Watch out for those things during the night hours, though.

• Haha 1