Republicans are pretending to care about the deficit again, Democrats consider reconciliation (UPDATE: Senate Dems had meeting, will go it alone if necessary, won't reduce size of stimulus)

210123-al-drago-al-1151_d585aa62fc49a095
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Biden's team appears ready to invest political capital trying to get Congress to approve another round of stimulus payments.

"It's hard for me to see when we just passed $900 billion of assistance why we would have a package that big," Collins told reporters Thursday. "Maybe a couple of months from now, the needs will be evident and we will need to do something significant, but I'm not seeing it right now."

Sen. Mitt Romney R-Utah, a conservative who has a track record of breaking with his party, told NBC News that he isn't inclined to borrow another $1 trillion or even $500 billion for a broad economic package.

"My own view is that what's holding back the economy is Covid, not money," he said. "I want to do everything we can to get the Covid vaccines out. But once the Covid vaccine is out and people are inoculated, I believe you'll see the economy coming back."

"I think the administration and the caucus would prefer it be done on a bipartisan basis," House Budget Chairman John Yarmuth, D-Ky., told reporters. "We haven’t made a decision yet to use reconciliation but we are, we are prepared to move very quickly if it looks like we can’t do it any other way."

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., who is set to chair the Senate Budget Committee, has also said Democrats should use reconciliation if outreach to Republicans proves fruitless.

Brian Deese, the director of Biden's National Economic Council, rebutted the Republican skepticism Friday, saying the United States is "at a precarious moment" with the virus and the economy.

"Without decisive action, we risk falling into a very serious economic hole, even more serious than the crisis we find ourselves in," he told reporters. "The risk of doing too little far outweighs the risk of doing too much."

1 hour ago, stepee said:

"My own view is that what's holding back the economy is Covid, not money,"

What a dumb fucking quote.

This quote was so offensively dumb, it actually made me stop and re-read it and really think about whether I missed something or if it really was that stupid. 

17 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

democrats are in the minority even when they hold the majority

I've been bitching about this for a while and it's fallen on deaf ears. She is way worse than Manchin because she is arguably more conservative than the state she represents now, whereas Manchin is still far more liberal.

• Guillotine 1

Just now, SuperSpreader said:

Ignore them, Dems should stop responding and with "McConnell will not control the Senate" and start controlling the Senate. Stop telling me what isn't going to happen and just do it. 

im laughing so hard shia labeouf GIF

Democratic leadership needs to understand what Republicans figured out long ago.

There is no middle. There are no Independents. It's all about mobilizing your own coalition of voters.

210128-chuck-schumer-ew-222p_91bd9b49489
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Top Democrats say they're willing to use the budget process to bypass the Senate's 60-vote threshold if a bipartisan deal fails to materialize.

White House economic adviser Brian Deese and Covid-19 coordinator Jeff Zientz held a call Thursday with Senate Democrats as they grapple with whether to cut a slimmed-down deal or use a process known as reconciliation to bypass the Senate’s 60-vote rule to avoid a filibuster.

"The sentiment is this: We would like Republicans to work with us to be part of the solution to deliver emergency help, but we can’t wait, it’s urgent, and we need to double-track this process,” Sen. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., who was on the call, told reporters. “So we will continue to reach out to Republicans, but I’m a big supporter of having an insurance policy in place through reconciliation.”

There was a sense of agreement that the overall price tag for the package would remain at $1.9 trillion, despite efforts from Republicans in the 16-member bipartisan group negotiating the legislation to try to narrow the package, multiple Democrats said.

• SaysWho? changed the title to Republicans are pretending to care about the deficit again, Democrats consider reconciliation (UPDATE: Senate Dems had meeting, will go it alone if necessary, won't reduce size of stimulus)

At least they took the right takeaway from their meeting. Fuck the GOP, they aren't going to work with you when only 10 house members voted to impeach Trump and only 5 GOP senators seem inclined to vote to remove him from office once the Senate trial happens. Their intentions seem pretty clear.

And, oh yeah, all that obstruction during the Obama years. 

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There was always going to be bi (partisan) curiosity during the early days of this admin no matter what

I mean knowing we were getting a Biden administration, if you're anything but ecstatic about how this week has shaken out, you absolutely CRAZY. Never in my wildest dreams.

16 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

lol an hour before the big "bipartisan" ten republican meeting at the white house Schumer and Pelosi announce that they're just going ahead with reconciliation

I read Barack Obama's memoir last month, and he recounted numerous instances of Republican leadership doing this to him (many that I didn't recall).

I love to see Democrats finally have the gall to act like Republicans.