Michael Keaton returning as Batman in new film series

58 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

My first thoughts were also The Dark Knight Returns or some loose adaptation of Batman Beyond.

It's either one of these or a combination of the two... oh well. Unlike most folks in our age group, I was never a big fan of Keaton's Batman. He just didn't have the physicality in my opinion. He did a greeat job otherwise but he was never "BATMAN" to me :shrug:

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's either one of these or a combination of the two... oh well. Unlike most folks in our age group, I was never a big fan of Keaton's Batman. He just didn't have the physicality in my opinion. He did a greeat job otherwise but he was never "BATMAN" to me :shrug:

Keaton is my favorite live action Bruce Wayne, and my least favorite Batman.

*disclaimer I've never seen BvS or Justice League

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

i think Clooney was probably the Best Bruce Wayne even though he was in the worst Batman movie :p

Look I like the Schumacher films for what they are, but Clooney was not the best Bruce Wayne. That's fucking crazy talk. :lol:

i mean at the end of the day... who gives a shit about Bruce Wayne in these movies? The character is largely forgotten in pretty much ALL of the Batman live action movies and only Kevin Conroy really nailed both Bruce AND Batman in the animated series. Clooney just felt more comfortable playing the playboy billionaire than any of the other guys. Keaton's Wayne alternated between being Batman without the mask and Beetlejuice. None of it matters anyway because like I said, Bruce Wayne is an afterthought in most of the live action films.

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Prove me wrong!

Well, to me, just listing From Dusk Till Dawn, ER, Syriana, Out of Sight, Three Kings, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Perfect Storm, the Ocean's trilogy, Solaris, Michael Clayton, Burn After Reading, The American, Up in the Air, The Ides of March, Gravity, and Hail Caesar all show (among many more movies he's been good in) how much range and depth he has. He is not always playing himself, though yes, he sometimes does (and often to great effect).

WB has no idea what they're doing, so their solution is just "MORE BATMAN!". Why are they so bad at this? 

Also I hope it's not Batman Beyond. Bruce in that is supposed to be super old, crotchety, and a reclusive grump, bitter about almost killing someone so he hung up the cowl, and now sits at home scowling, walking around with a cane. Keaton isn't really old enough, and looks to be in pretty good shape still. 

Clint Eastwood would be a much better fit, especially when there are some panels in TDKR where it looked like they copied his scowl. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well, to me, just listing From Dusk Till Dawn, ER, Syriana, Out of Sight, Three Kings, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Perfect Storm, the Ocean's trilogy, Solaris, Michael Clayton, Burn After Reading, The American, Up in the Air, The Ides of March, Gravity, and Hail Caesar all show (among many more movies he's been good in) how much range and depth he has. He is not always playing himself, though yes, he sometimes does (and often to great effect).

My issue is he usually has the same attitude, he has the same voice, same cadence, he's just the George Clooney it's hard to see him as an actual character.

7 hours ago, Brick said:

WB has no idea what they're doing, so their solution is just "MORE BATMAN!". Why are they so bad at this? 

Also I hope it's not Batman Beyond. Bruce in that is supposed to be super old, crotchety, and a reclusive grump, bitter about almost killing someone so he hung up the cowl, and now sits at home scowling, walking around with a cane. Keaton isn't really old enough, and looks to be in pretty good shape still. 

Clint Eastwood would be a much better fit, especially when there are some panels in TDKR where it looked like they copied his scowl. 

With the people that died at the end of Batman Returns, I'd say it's fine if that version of Batman decided to retire. That said, Keaton is a fine age to play Batman Beyond old Bruce. He still needs to do his mecha Batman thing at the beginning of the series and Clint Eastwood is WAY too old to pull off being an old man wearing an Ironman suit fighting baddies. I also wouldn't plan a movie series with possibly multiple entries around a 90yo actor. Keaton being 60yo is more than old enough to be crotchety. I'm nearly 40 and already crotchety enough. I can't imagine I'd be less crotchety in a couple more decades.

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

My issue is he usually has the same attitude, he has the same voice, same cadence, he's just the George Clooney it's hard to see him as an actual character.

But he doesn't between at least some of these films, so I'm not sure what you mean? George Clooney doesn't do accents, that's true, but the performances, his gait, the way he expresses and carries himself are completely different at times.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But he doesn't between at least some of these films, so I'm not sure what you mean? George Clooney doesn't do accents, that's true, but the performances, his gait, the way he expresses and carries himself are completely different at times.

Like he might as well been the same guy in The Descendants and Up in the Air. The only difference is the two guys did different things.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Like he might as well been the same guy in The Descendants and Up in the Air. The only difference is the two guys did different things.

What? In The Descendants he plays a depressed dad reconnecting slowly and poorly with his kids, who he has been out of touch with. He's a sadsack with a lot of familial issues.

Up in the Air he plays a charming, smarmy asshole who only lives for himself and his job, not seeing people as people and using sarcasm and witty banter as a coping mechanism for real feelings. The two roles are enormously different. I mean, Three Kings and Solaris are about as different as you can get in performances. 

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

What? In The Descendants he plays a depressed dad reconnecting slowly and poorly with his kids, who he has been out of touch with. He's a sadsack with a lot of familial issues.

Up in the Air he plays a charming, smarmy asshole who only lives for himself and his job, not seeing people as people and using sarcasm and witty banter as a coping mechanism for real feelings. The two roles are enormously different. I mean, Three Kings and Solaris are about as different as you can get in performances. 

Right, you're mixing up the roles with who he is and how he carries himself in the movie.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Right, you're mixing up the roles with who he is and how he carries himself in the movie.

What do you mean? I don't really know who the "real" George Clooney is, I imagine it's some version of Danny Ocean, but I'm not mixing up anything between The Descendants and Up in the Air.

53 minutes ago, silentbob said:

All this George Clooney talk reminded me of Francine and her beef with him on American Dad (3:00 mark is what you wanna see)

So I'm not the only one who kept thinking of that episode. Ever since I heard about the "head tilt" in this episode I can't not think of it whenever I think of George Clooney. 

I kind of thought someone would post this before now...

But this thread was based on bad info.  Right now Keaton is only coming back for the Flash movie.

190622072421-batman-super-tease.jpg
WWW.CNN.COM

When The New York Times reported that DC Films' plans to have Michael Keaton reprise his role as Batman in "The Flash," some fans took it as Keaton would be Batman permanently in the DC Extended Universe.

18 minutes ago, number305 said:

I kind of thought someone would post this before now...

But this thread was based on bad info.  Right now Keaton is only coming back for the Flash movie.

190622072421-batman-super-tease.jpg
WWW.CNN.COM

When The New York Times reported that DC Films' plans to have Michael Keaton reprise his role as Batman in "The Flash," some fans took it as Keaton would be Batman permanently in the DC Extended Universe.

See, that sounds like multiverse madness similar to all the Spider-Men in the8 next movie. Way less interesting.

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

With the people that died at the end of Batman Returns, I'd say it's fine if that version of Batman decided to retire. That said, Keaton is a fine age to play Batman Beyond old Bruce. He still needs to do his mecha Batman thing at the beginning of the series and Clint Eastwood is WAY too old to pull off being an old man wearing an Ironman suit fighting baddies. I also wouldn't plan a movie series with possibly multiple entries around a 90yo actor. Keaton being 60yo is more than old enough to be crotchety. I'm nearly 40 and already crotchety enough. I can't imagine I'd be less crotchety in a couple more decades.

Uhh either of them are too old to pull off playing the older Batman in the Beyond suit at the beginning before retiring, but that's what stunt doubles, and facial replacement CGI tech is for (the kind we've seen in Star Wars, even if the tech isn't quite perfect yet, but it will get better, and it'd be a five minute segment anyway), so that's a moot point. 

I will concede that Eastwood is perhaps too old at this point if WB wanted to make Batman Beyond a multiple entry series, but I've always thought Eastwood would have been the absolute perfect choice. Maybe ten years ago it could have happened, you know like after Nolan wrapped up his Batman trilogy, so WB decided it was the perfect time to do something vastly different. Keaton just doesn't have the physicality and look to be like Bruce was in Beyond. Maybe in ten years or so he will be, or if they put a lot of aging makeup/CGI on him. Bruce in Beyond is basically 80 or 90 years old at that point. Far future with that neo noir aesthetic Gotham has, makes Bruce ancient at that point. That's why someone in the age range of Eastwood, or Christopher Plummer would work better. 

I'd rather they get someone new and different than Keaton to play old Bruce if they decide to do live action Batman Beyond, and if they decide to bring back Keaton for something else it's as an older Batman, probably retired, but still mentoring Nightwing, Tim Drake as Robin, and Batgirl, and make the movie about them, and then those characters can get their own spin-off franchises.