DOJ investigating bribe-for-pardon conspiracy

28 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

So is there gonna be a pool on who it is?  My bet is Manafort. 

Am I missing something when I say it might be Flynn?

The timing of this unsealing on the same day the official pardon was issued seems like undercover cops waiting until the drugs change hands to make the arrest....

10 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Am I missing something when I say it might be Flynn?

The timing of this unsealing on the same day the official pardon was issued seems like undercover cops waiting until the drugs change hands to make the arrest....

That would be something if Trump actually took the money.  It would be the mother of all scandals. 

If someone were to bribe the president in exchange for a pardon, the bribe could also be pardoned, and there is nothing that the DoJ could do to prosecute the person giving the bribe.  The President could of course be held liable for the bribe after he leaves office, unless he himself is pardoned by the next President, or attempts to self-pardon.

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It would also be ROFL if one of Trump's kids had to bribe their own father to get a pardon.  

It would be doubly ROFL if Trump decided to take their money and not grant a pardon. 

Tell me what you think "ROFL" stands for. 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

If someone were to bribe the president in exchange for a pardon, the bribe could also be pardoned, and there is nothing that the DoJ could do to prosecute the person giving the bribe.  The President could of course be held liable for the bribe after he leaves office, unless he himself is pardoned by the next President, or attempts to self-pardon.

In a rational society a scandal like this would have to lead to an actual change of the laws and an Amendment.  But this is so not likely to happen now that we have Mrs. Originalist on the bench.

32 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Speaking of!

Well, uh, does Trump know the pardon doesn't cover future crimes?  These guys are bound to fuck up again.

48 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Speaking of!

Hannity endorsed the idea of Trump pre-emptively pardoning himself and the kids on his radio show yesterday.

If you follow the path of the human centipede, I think it's safe to say now that even Trump knows he lost his first priority is protecting himself from liability. So he's having his surrogates lay the groundwork for why such a move that looks so incriminating on its face is actually justified.

Remember not too long ago when the idea that he would pardon family was seen as far out there, and pardoning himself was seen as outright ridiculous?

26 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Remember not too long ago when the idea that he would pardon family was seen as far out there, and pardoning himself was seen as outright ridiculous?

I member. Hopefully we can quote posts like these in the future as we reflect on Trump’s prison sentence.