DOJ investigating bribe-for-pardon conspiracy

I can only hope that the full extent of GOP corruption is brought to light.. but their sway in the Senate may be enough “leverage” to keep Democrats at bay... that and the GOP state media will work overtime to paint any investigation as a witch hunt ..(not like her emails which are apparently justified)..

I had hoped a reveal to the GOP voters would finally break their fanatical delusional loyalty, but the only fate worse than being lied to is admitting you have been wrong for the last 4 years.. so no hope there

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I highly doubt a preemptive pardon would stand if challenged in the courts (then again I’m ignorant on its history, so maybe it already has). You can’t be pardoned for something you haven’t actually been accused of. 

Carter blanket pardoned Vietnam draft dodgers regardless of whether they'd actually been charged. And didn't Ford's pardon of Nixon include stuff he hadn't actually been accused of yet?

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Carter blanket pardoned Vietnam draft dodgers regardless of whether they'd actually been charged. And didn't Ford's pardon of Nixon include stuff he hadn't actually been accused of yet?

I mean, it's never been tested. In the case of the draft dodgers, it was for a specific crime so it makes sense that it would stand up. Even for a general category like "I pardon Jason for crimes related to theft," it seems logical (without listing the specific offense). But just blanket pardoning for any potential crimes, while possibly legal and constitutional, doesn't make sense to me. I mean, the entire idea of royal pardons (which is what this is) is ridiculous.

Wait, when pardoning, don’t you have to say what you’re pardoning said person for?

That’s why I can’t see Trump trying to pardon himself, he’d never admit he did anything wrong.

“I never raped a woman, I fell into her vagina while my pants were down.”

5 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Wait, when pardoning, don’t you have to say what you’re pardoning said person for?

That’s why I can’t see Trump trying to pardon himself, he’d never admit he did anything wrong.

“I never raped a woman, I fell into her vagina while my pants were down.”

I believe so. I don't know if I pardon Ivanka for anything she's done or will do in her whole life would work. But then again, America. 

I mean, I know that handing someone a pile of money and saying I want a pardon in exchange for this is clearly illegal... but aren't like 50% of presidential pardons favors for their rich and/or political connected friends?

I'm sure there isn't usually a direct A to B paper trail, but this is how it's always worked.

2 minutes ago, ort said:

I mean, I know that handing someone a pile of money and saying I want a pardon in exchange for this is clearly illegal... but aren't like 50% of presidential pardons favors for their rich and/or political connected friends?

I'm sure there isn't usually a direct A to B paper trail, but this is how it's always worked.

I'm sure the SCOTUS view is that free speech protects all donations for whatever reason, even for pardons. After all, the entire reason to donate politically is to get what you want...which includes pardons?

On 12/1/2020 at 8:51 PM, marioandsonic said:

But in order to accept a pardon, doesn't that mean you have to be found guilty of a crime first?

22 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

No. If you will recall, Ford pardoned Nixon right after he took office. 

Yeah, you don't have to be found guilty, but accepting the pardon is admitting guilt and getting no punishment for it.

55 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
merlin_178237377_ef45c2eb-360d-49be-ac57
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

A billionaire from San Francisco sought clemency for a psychologist convicted of monetary crimes. The Republican donor Elliott Broidy and a lawyer for Jared Kushner were enlisted.

Way more boring than I hoped.