50 million Americans expected to travel for Thanksgiving, carry plague rats to far-off lands

gettyimages-1287680402.jpg
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

Despite the surge in new coronavirus cases, AAA expects up to 50 million Americans to travel.

More than 2.3 million people have been infected nationwide in the past two weeks, and more than 2,000 have died in the past 24 hours, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University. That's the highest single-day death toll in more than six months.

Small gatherings are now a major driver of the virus spread. Fifteen members of a Texas family contracted COVID-19 at a birthday lunch.

"Please don't be like my family and ignore the CDC guidelines," one of the family members said in a video.

So I expect cases to go vertical 2-3 weeks after Thanksgiving (even more than now), hospitalizations to follow 1-2 weeks after that, and then deaths to go asymptotic 1-2 weeks after that. January is going to be very bad. I think we can expect to easily see 3k deaths per day by Jan 10.

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Daily deaths, yes. 

Oct 21: 1208

Nov 25: 2313

They've almost doubled in a month, so 50% will be easy. I mean, it could double.

7 day case average was about 70k a month ago

Now:

more than doubled the cases, double the hospitalizations, more than double the deaths which lag cases and hospitalizations

We're showing little signs of slowing down and being nonchalant about spreading it this week. It's going to get, somehow, much worse.

• Sad 1

After doing so well during the quarantine with my parents, my mother has abruptly decided to not only have my neices and nephews (all teenagers) over for dinner tonight, she's letting them spend the night. I am so livid right now I don't know what to do. I've been staying with them pretty much this whole pandemic due to me working here on the East Coast and they decide to NOW risk all of us for reasons I can't quite comprehend. To make matters worse, my oldest niece has been hangiong with her boyfriend (not quarantining) and their mother has been traipsing all over the place not quarantining so all of them could be silent carriers. I am so frustrated and angry right now I don't know what to do. All of this effort and discipline to try and stay safe and keep THEM from being infected completely put at risk. It's past time for me to find other arrangements, I think.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I invited my neighbor (who has been working from home and out of the public aside from grocery stores since pandemic began) to have lunch with me. We ate on my patio table. It was great.

Just got done with a family zoom call. So I'm chilling for the night. 

Overall, for a weird Thanksgiving, it was pretty good. 

Now let's hope no one in my family was exposed. 

I visited my sister, niece, and brother-in-law. I see them once a week for dinner, so it wasn't particularly special, but it was the first time they've stayed home for Thanksgiving in a very long time, so that was nice. From what I've gathered, most of the extended family was playing by the rules.