Best pans ever

Chris-

8191JLIU1UL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Grew tired of the cheap ass Tfal's from Target that always went to shit more or less immediately (and were mediocre at best in terms of heat retention), so I splurged some credit card reward points on these bad boys and have realized my investment 1,000%. They are so fucking good. Absolutely nothing sticks to them, they heat up crazy quickly, and because they have a steel base they retain heat as well as any other pan you can think of (even cast-iron). I would cook a strip steak in these with absolutely no hesitation.

1 hour ago, Captain Pickle said:

Hardcore punk music tricked me into going vegetarian 

Girlfriend tricked me into doing it.

Though, I do sneak in some sea bugs every now and again when she isn't looking... Or I'll cook with fish sauce. And the other day I ate some ramen that I didn't realize had beef powder in it until I already cooked it, but I ate it anyway.

In other words, I'm a really bad vegetarian.

• Haha 1

I want to get a cast iron skillet. I've never had one. If I ever have kids, I want them to inherit my cast iron pans. I just read something on reddit the other day about a dude who uses the same cast iron skillet his great-great grandfather used in the 19th century. that got me so jealous. I want that for my great-great grandchildren, assuming I ever have chidren.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Oh shit All Clad. How much did you pay)

Nothing. Chase Reward Points, baby!

That's not all of our All Clad stuff either; my girlfriend grew up literally right down the street from their factory (her dad even worked there for a brief time), so we have all sorts of stuff from when they do their factory sales.

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Girlfriend tricked me into doing it.

Though, I do sneak in some sea bugs every now and again when she isn't looking... Or I'll cook with fish sauce. And the other day I ate some ramen that I didn't realize had beef powder in it until I already cooked it, but I ate it anyway.

In other words, I'm a really bad vegetarian.

I dont care how good that pussy is, I could never give up red meat or fish. 

5 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

I dont care how good that pussy is, I could never give up red meat or fish. 

She ultimately convinced me of it, honestly. Even if we broke up tomorrow, I doubt I would go back to eating at least red meat (I might go back to eating chicken). As much as the thought of a good seared, butter-basted steak with rosemary gives me a boner.

I convinced her not to be an anti-vaxxer, she convinced me to not eat meat. It was a trade off that was ultimately better for the planet.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Oh man maybe I need to get them. How many points? I have a couple of shitty TFAL pans that I only use for omelettes. I use my 3 cast irons for everything else.

I got the 8”/10” set, which I think was $90ish before cashing in the points. 

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I want to get a cast iron skillet. I've never had one. If I ever have kids, I want them to inherit my cast iron pans. I just read something on reddit the other day about a dude who uses the same cast iron skillet his great-great grandfather used in the 19th century. that got me so jealous. I want that for my great-great grandchildren, assuming I ever have chidren.

I have two.  One, I purchased myself.  The second, was given to me by my mother (who hates cast iron), who took it from my grandmother's kitchen when she moved into a retirement home.  I don't have a date on it -- but, it's probably from the 30s or 40s -- and is in great condition.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 4:41 PM, Chris- said:

8191JLIU1UL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Grew tired of the cheap ass Tfal's from Target that always went to shit more or less immediately (and were mediocre at best in terms of heat retention), so I splurged some credit card reward points on these bad boys and have realized my investment 1,000%. They are so fucking good. Absolutely nothing sticks to them, they heat up crazy quickly, and because they have a steel base they retain heat as well as any other pan you can think of (even cast-iron). I would cook a strip steak in these with absolutely no hesitation.

Do you have a link to where to buy them?

• 2 weeks later...

I really love our All-Clad pans. I spent a lot of time with some Scanpans, but eventually made my way back to the copper-cored stainless All-Clad. It's consistent, and you can beat them to hell and they'll polish up like new. I have one lodge cast iron pan that I use often, and when you need cast iron, there is no substitute.

I have been wanting to give a carbon steel pan a chance, though I'm not super eager to have another pan I have to care for.

On 11/11/2020 at 1:27 AM, Fizzzzle said:

I have a nice cast iron skillet but I'm not the biggest fan of it because it's heavy as all hell. I think it's like 15" wide though so that's why. 

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I really love our All-Clad pans. I spent a lot of time with some Scanpans, but eventually made my way back to the copper-cored stainless All-Clad. It's consistent, and you can beat them to hell and they'll polish up like new. I have one lodge cast iron pan that I use often, and when you need cast iron, there is no substitute.

I have been wanting to give a carbon steel pan a chance, though I'm not super eager to have another pan I have to care for.

What do you do when you need the pan to be non stick though? Like an omelette or scrambled eggs, for example? They say your cast irons can get to the point where you can make an omelette, but I guess I have never seasoned them to that point.