How to improve the tax code?

Curious to hear opinions on things that you believe might make taxation more fair. Not looking for solved ideas, just thought it would be a fun discussion.

Random thought: If the Electoral College means land = votes, maybe reduce taxes, by a lot, over 50%, but create a Federal Property & Asset Tax instead rather than income. Including using Stock Valuation for annual corporate taxes.

31 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

Curious to hear opinions on things that you believe might make taxation more fair. Not looking for solved ideas, just thought it would be a fun discussion.

Random thought: If the Electoral College means land = votes, maybe reduce taxes, by a lot, over 50%, but create a Federal Property & Asset Tax instead rather than income. Including using Stock Valuation for annual corporate taxes.

i wonder what this would do to Apartment and residential rental businesses. In that every time property values and property taxes go up so too does rent. If this tax affects them it could price apartments beyond the means of many more Americans. 

7 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

i wonder what this would do to Apartment and residential rental businesses. In that every time property values and property taxes go up so too does rent. If this tax affects them it could price apartments beyond the means of many more Americans. 

Not if there's very little income tax. They would have to manage the cost of renting v the average salary v the cost of ownership (tax). Otherwise they'd be stuck with an expensive empty building. 

Maybe the idea is silly. I'm just thinking of taking the burden off of income and shifting it to wealth. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Income above, say, $400K should be taxed at 90%

@sblfilms :guillotine:'d me for this, which I assume is because I didn't bring the rate to its peak in the 40's ' 50's, 92%. I am a fair man, so I will go with what it was shortly thereafter, 91%. The absolute lowest rate I'd tolerate is where it was in the 80's, 70%.

• Thanks 1

How does the system in the US compare to the UK system?

We pay National Insurance which covers state benefits (maternity pay, pension etc) and income tax which covers our National Healthcare Service, Education, Welfare etc. It's based on your current earnings, so increases the higher your income bracket - although everyone is guaranteed to have 12,500 as personal allowance (which isn't taxed) with the remainder looking like: 

Band                                         Taxable income                Tax rate
Personal Allowance           Up to £12,500                 0%
Basic rate                           £12,501 to £50,000        20%
Higher rate                         £50,001 to £150,000      40%
Additional rate                   over £150,000                 45%

Then for National Insurance, if you earn more than £183 a week, you pay 12% of your earnings, up to £962 per week. 

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

@sblfilms :guillotine:'d me for this, which I assume is because I didn't bring the rate to its peak in the 40's ' 50's, 92%. I am a fair man, so I will go with what it was shortly thereafter, 91%. The absolute lowest rate I'd tolerate is where it was in the 80's, 70%.

Marx was right-- ones material conditions determines how one upvotes

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

If we use the same income level inflation adjusted, I’ll agree to it.

Sbl just mad because he has to worry about “tax the rich” plans.

I think flat taxers at least have the right idea in mind, they just set the rate too low. A lot of the problems are tax avoidance. Set a tax rate, everyone pays it, and then you can redistribute as necessary.