Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

Just now, Dodger said:

So any takes on why Warren massively disappointed in her campaign? She was seen as basically the centrist progressive that would be the most electable progressive, but she got completely steamrolled. So just a case of she wasn't centrist enough for the centrists and not progressive enough for the progressives? I do wonder if the whole DNA test thing just completely destroyed her credibly already, because that was just a really bad look. 

She died when she backed off M4A.

I think trying to be a populist like Sanders in policy, but actually trying to explain how you pay for such policies is what did her in. It makes things sound worse when you actually do the hard work of detailing plans instead of just spouting the same old applause lines. But her detail is what made her impressive to me.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think trying to be a populist like Sanders in policy, but actually trying to explain how you pay for such policies is what did her in. It makes things sound worse when you actually do the hard work of detailing plans instead of just spouting the same old applause lines. But her detail is what made her impressive to me.

Yeah. I like hearing details too. Her appeal to me was largely that she had the same end goals as Sanders but is much more realistic and pragmatic about how to get there. At the same time I think it's to Sanders' credit that he doesn't get bogged down in the details with stuff that most people only give lip service to caring about. "All these other countries can afford it. Are we better or worse than them?" is pretty effective and mostly true IMO.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

But all sides are the same, I’ve been told.

My TL is a weird cross-section of never trumpers and progressives, but if anything I've seen the exact opposite. Especially from the never trumpers that are happy as pigs and shit and have no problem letting you know it. 

Biden also is a lifelong stutterer from what I’ve read. The way that affects speech can be pretty severe. I actually only learned about that because George Springer of the Houston Astros has had a stutter since childhood and does a lot to educate on the topic. I think a significant amount of what people mock him for is directly tied to his stutter, which is kinda cruel.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Biden also is a lifelong stutterer from what I’ve read. The way that affects speech can be pretty severe. I actually only learned about that because George Springer of the Houston Astros has had a stutter since childhood and does a lot to educate on the topic. I think a significant amount of what people mock him for is directly tied to his stutter, which is kinda cruel.

And pure ageism which somehow isn't applicable to the older guy with a heart attack.

41 minutes ago, Dodger said:

So any takes on why Warren massively disappointed in her campaign? She was seen as basically the centrist progressive that would be the most electable progressive, but she got completely steamrolled. So just a case of she wasn't centrist enough for the centrists and not progressive enough for the progressives? I do wonder if the whole DNA test thing just completely destroyed her credibly already, because that was just a really bad look. 

She was actually the "frontrunner" for a brief period long after the DNA debacle.

The decline began once she began to equivocate on some of her more left-leaning positions such as MFA - probably due to the influence of the Clintonian advisors that joined her campaign.

Once she did that -- as you correctly identified -- she was left without a natural constituency that would be willing to risk her shifting again.

9 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

And pure ageism which somehow isn't applicable to the older guy with a heart attack.

Bernie dies of heart attack = VP takes over 

Biden senile = Jill Biden forging Joe's signature on Executive Orders and the clusterfuck of the 25th. 

2 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

She was actually the "frontrunner" for a brief period long after the DNA debacle.

The decline began once she began to equivocate on some of her more left-leaning positions such as MFA - probably due to the influence of the Clintonian advisors that joined her campaign.

Once she did that -- as you correctly identified -- she was left without a natural constituency that would be willing to risk her shifting again.

She also wound up accepting a PAC after making a big deal out of not doing that kind of thing.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Dear god, I back back to LA last week after being gone most of February and my mailbox was STUFFED with Bloomberg ads. It was seriously unnerving and annoying.

I came back from being away too and most of my junk mail was his ads.  I'm happy he's dropped out for that reason alone. 

55 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think I only got one Bloomberg mailer, might have been because I didn't change my registration to Democrat until a couple of weeks before the deadline. 

Lucky you, I just signed up for the long-term Democrat spam plan at my township office today.  Apparently now that everybody in Michigan is allowed to vote absentee without any questions asked, they are allowing people to have ballets automatically mailed to them whenever there is an election.  I couldn't say yes any quicker signing up for that.  I really, really hope the DNC mails out fliers to people here to inform them of this new way to vote.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah that seems entirely plausible. I don't think he should be mocked for it, but it's unfortunate that it's a disability that has a negative impact for this kind of job.

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My brother and I had a lengthy conversation about this the other night. Where Joe Biden’s stutter ends and his age begins.

My brother believes it has more to do with his stutter. I believe it more to do with his age.

26 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

His studder seemed better a decade ago but if it is ageism then so be it, he seems to be losing his marbles. He wouldn't be the first candidate or president to do so, including the dumbass currently in office.

It was significantly better. 2008 was probably the best debate performance I've seen him put in. At the time, I loved that despite the prevailing wisdom that Palin's low expectations would default her into a win, Biden's performance was met with praise and polling showed him to be the winner over Palin in the minds of more voters.

11 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

My brother and I had a lengthy conversation about this the other night. Where Joe Biden’s stutter ends and his age begins.

My brother believes it has more to do with his stutter. I believe it more to do with his age.

To my knowledge they are connected. The strategies stutterers learn to cope with it start to fade with age, so not too shocking that Biden would appear to be losing his faculties at a quicker pace than may be actually happening.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not personally a Biden fan but mocking him for having a stutter is not only low hanging fruit, but also the same kind of shit Trump would do.

Those on the left who attack him for this need to do some serious reflection on how they are any different than a bully.

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

To my knowledge they are connected. The strategies stutterers learn to cope with it start to fade with age, so not too shocking that Biden would appear to be losing his faculties at a quicker pace than may be actually happening.

Does a stutter make you think you're running for the Senate? 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Does a stutter make you think you're running for the Senate? 

No, but it could lead you to grasp for words related to the ones you are trying to say when you feel a stutter coming on. Same with hitting the eject button in the middle of a sentence.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

No, but it could lead you to grasp for words related to the ones you are trying to say when you feel a stutter coming on. Same with hitting the eject button in the middle of a sentence.

This has definitely happened to me. I’ve always had a mild stutter, particularly when I get more excited or passionate about a topic and I tend to talk faster. I’ve used completely wrong words before. Probably why I always hated public speaking and had bad anxiety when I had to do it for school assignments. 

Sometimes, I really have to just stop and force myself to sloooow down. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/01/joe-biden-stutter-profile/602401/

Here is a good article about Biden and his stutter. Hopefully it increases your empathy towards stutterers. I've got a nephew with a bad stutter and it really breaks my heart to see how he has become convinced that he is dumb because of how kids and even some adults treat him. There are plenty of substantive things Biden can be criticized for, I would just suggest being careful about the open mockery of his verbal stumbles. 

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My mom has a tendency to be really antagonistic and when I was younger, she’d mock my speech when I got angry and flustered at her. 

Shit sticks with you. 

I'm so sorry :(

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I'm so sorry :(

I feel like I've largely moved past it as an adult and we have an overall better relationship now, though there are still occasional blow ups. I just live farther away and don't see her on a daily basis, which has done wonders.

Sometimes, I get triggers that remind me of that stuff, like in this thread. Or I'll just be having a bad day and start thinking about old stuff. Crazy enough, I have semi-regular dreams about fights with her and I wake up with bad feelings. I guess it never fully leaves you, but overall, I could be a lot worse off now.

But, yeah, I get the struggles with stuttering and other speech impediments. I do worry about Biden's overall mental state, but sometimes people give him too much shit when the particular issue is his stutter.