Government Shutdown 2020 Edition

Jason

18 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The story in the Post suggests that congress is likely to override the veto.

It's a shame that a President is willing to veto the NDAA but not to reign in any of the insane military spending, but because he's annoyed that Twitter puts labels next to some of his posts.

Apparently the NDAA has provisions targeting foreign money laundering. 🤔 

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Do we know what's in the spending bill yet?  I keep seeing people say we are sending money overseas instead of in our pockets... But I'm pretty sure get their information from Fox news.

There is always foreign aid in these types of omnibus bills, and it's always super low as a % of GDP. Right-wing people just hate helping out poor people no matter where they live (but won't complain about aid going to Israel).

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There is always foreign aid in these types of omnibus bills, and it's always super low as a % of GDP. Right-wing people just hate helping out poor people no matter where they live (but won't complain about aid going to Israel).

I've started saying we can cut foreign aid, but we have to start with Israel first. Right wingers get real mad at that suggestion 

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Do we know what's in the spending bill yet?  I keep seeing people say we are sending money overseas instead of in our pockets... But I'm pretty sure get their information from Fox news.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Can't blame Trump on this one, it's a classic case of the GOP being completely deceptive without necessarily lying.

They frame it as Democrats adding crazy spending to a Covid bill that has nothing to do with it, when really what happened was Mitch waited so long they had to roll the budget and relief bill all into one.

The reason foreign aid is in this bill is because it lays out all federal spending until September of 2021.

I also liked how they were all freaking out about that 10 million for gender studies in Pakistan or whatever. They just picked that because it had the word "gender" in it and they knew people would associate it with trans stuff and be turned off. It's a program to promote women's rights in Pakistan and its $10 million bucks out of $2.3 trillion.

That would be like making a $230,000 budget for something and having everyone freak out over where a single dollar of it was going. That's how insignificant a $10 million dollar item is on a national budget scale.

And yet, how many headlines? How many Republicans led with that "gender" program thing? And it had nothing to do with COVID relief anyway, it was part of the normal budget... bleh.

So, I'm paying way less attention to the news lately... does this congressional vote thing on the additional funds for COVID relief ($2,000 instead of $600) actually have a chance or is it all just political theater that is doomed to fail?

It feels like political theater that is doomed to fail, but what do I know.

30 minutes ago, ort said:

So, I'm paying way less attention to the news lately... does this congressional vote thing on the additional funds for COVID relief ($2,000 instead of $600) actually have a chance or is it all just political theater that is doomed to fail?

It feels like political theater that is doomed to fail, but what do I know.

I think since the $600 is going out and they probably don't have to fight Trump now, they have the political leeway to kill the extra $1400.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I've started saying we can cut foreign aid, but we have to start with Israel first. Right wingers get real mad at that suggestion 

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

Can't blame Trump on this one, it's a classic case of the GOP being completely deceptive without necessarily lying.

They frame it as Democrats adding crazy spending to a Covid bill that has nothing to do with it, when really what happened was Mitch waited so long they had to roll the budget and relief bill all into one.

The reason foreign aid is in this bill is because it lays out all federal spending until September of 2021.

Oh, right, people are just too dumb to realize or research that this was more than COVID relief.

And sad moment on my way to work this morning:  I heard my first Newsmax ad on the radion :(:(

3 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Most people are conflating the $900 billion COVID package with the $1.3 trillion omnibus bill, which funds the government through September.

Which is somewhat understandable. I can't find a good source, but I believe they were either written as a single piece of legislation or passed together as two separate pieces.