Government Shutdown 2020 Edition

Jason

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

That means some Republicans were on board.

Now maybe a couple of them in the Senate will too.

Over 40 of them. I'm equally shocked, but Trump supporting it gives them an easy out, even though it's literally antithetical to everything they stand for.

12 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'm genuinely shocked

I am shocked, also. I know the direct payments are popular even on the right but I didn't think they would give them away without further concessions.

Perhaps they are counting on the Senate GOP to be the bad guy and kill it(or maybe Mitch doesn't even bring the vote?)

I am confused, though. Why did they need two thirds? Is it something to do with amending an already passed bill? Is this an add on to the bill Trump already signed or standalone? What exactly is the procedure here?

Just now, Chairslinger said:

I am shocked, also. I know the direct payments are popular even on the right but I didn't think they would give them away without further concessions.

Perhaps they are counting on the Senate GOP to be the bad guy and kill it(or maybe Mitch doesn't even bring the vote?)

I am confused, though. Why did they need two thirds? Is it something to do with amending an already passed bill? Is this an add on to the bill Trump already signed or standalone? What exactly is the procedure here?

Just now, Joe said:

Why was 2/3 vote needed?

Parliamentary rules of the house. They tried under unanimous consent and failed which from what I read means they could bring it up under suspension of the rules which requires 2/3

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

This is an entirely separate bill, from what I understand.

2/3rds would be needed to override a veto. Not like it would matter with the Senate.

1 minute ago, thewhyteboar said:

Filibuster the hell out of it. Get on the news and really put the pressure on Senators Loeffler (R - Insider Trading) and Perdue (R - Men's Warehouse Suit Who Came to Life Determined to Commit Insider Trading).

:feelsgood: