Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

Pretty sure SE didn't say shit officially.

Final-Fantasy-XVI.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

According to Final Fantasy XVI director, the game's performance mode will always target 60 FPS, but will be better optimized during combat

Hiroshi Takai commented on the performance swings seen in footage captured in the game's performance mode, saying that this display mode will always target 60 frames per second, but may not hold the target framerate during exploration, depending on particular circumstances. 

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Posted this earlier but worth dropping again now that the demo is out:

final-fantasy-16.jpg
GAMERANT.COM

Square Enix producer Naoki Yoshida reveals that the upcoming Final Fantasy 16 will have several hours of cutscenes.

It sounds like it might be pretty front-loaded with story cutscenes though. 

I don’t mind 11 hours of cutscenes, as long as it’s not half the game or something like that. I only accept that ratio in MGS games. :p

16 hours ago, best3444 said:

Blocking people is beyond lame. 

Why? I've blocked people... why the fuck would you want to subject yourself to some asshole's opinion who is just posting to get a rise out of people? It adds nothing to your life and is an unnecessary stress. I find @Biggie to be funny with with his troll antics for the most part, but I can see some folks not finding it to be funny and opting out. Nothing wrong with that. You have a right to express your opinion about anything you want... nobody HAS to listen though.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Final-Fantasy-XVI.jpg
WCCFTECH.COM

According to Final Fantasy XVI director, the game's performance mode will always target 60 FPS, but will be better optimized during combat

Well, hey, guess they did then. First time I have seen them actually saying that.

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, typical anti-vaxxer tbh.

I'm anti vaxx as well, and can confirm that I am still breathing.

But anyways, I played the demo last night and enjoyed what gameplay I actually experienced. I thought the cut scenes were excessive and wound up skipping most of them so I could get back to actually using my DualSense remote instead of just holding it for extended amounts of time. Yea yea, I know it's Final Fantasy so I should be prepared to basically watch a movie. But the gameplay might be enough for me to pull the trigger on this....eventually. But I seriously doubt this is gonna be a day one for me. I just don't have that kind of time right now for games like this.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

11 minutes ago, nublood said:

I'm anti vaxx as well, and can confirm that I am still breathing.

But anyways, I played the demo last night and enjoyed what gameplay I actually experienced. I thought the cut scenes were excessive and wound up skipping most of them so I could get back to actually using my DualSense remote instead of just holding it for extended amounts of time. Yea yea, I know it's Final Fantasy so I should be prepared to basically watch a movie. But the gameplay might be enough for me to pull the trigger on this....eventually. But I seriously doubt this is gonna be a day one for me. I just don't have that kind of time right now for games like this.

I don't think Square Enix understands the purpose of a demo anymore. 

I remember the old FF demos back in the day and they'd drop you in mid-game into an exciting scenario and let you fight a cool boss or something to get you hyped. Forcing me to play the long, drawn-out intro in a scenario when we just want to get a feel for the game is not the way to go. I don't care about stories in demos. I save that for the final release.

I ended up skipping a huge chunk of the cutscenes just cuz I wanted to, ya know, PLAY THE GAME.

I get bored with FF's "war between two nations" backdrop that they keep revisiting for some reason.

Also, anyone else get Godzilla vibes from the Titan/Shiva battle? The characters were like "Oh it's Titan. And looks who's here to meet him." Then they watched the battle from a mountain like literally every old Godzilla flick ever made. I laughed at that.

I have FFXVI wishlisted but eeeehhh... I might wait for reviews to see if it's a good story or if it's a bloated mess.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Why? I've blocked people... why the fuck would you want to subject yourself to some asshole's opinion who is just posting to get a rise out of people? It adds nothing to your life and is an unnecessary stress. I find @Biggie to be funny with with his troll antics for the most part, but I can see some folks not finding it to be funny and opting out. Nothing wrong with that. You have a right to express your opinion about anything you want... nobody HAS to listen though.

I took back what I said about blocking people because I had to block Andrea at one point. :p

I just think Biggie is harmless and if he really bothers you just block him. It's extremely simple. I completely understand what you're saying. 

• Halal 1

30 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I remember the old FF demos back in the day and they'd drop you in mid-game into an exciting scenario and let you fight a cool boss or something to get you hyped. Forcing me to play the long, drawn-out intro in a scenario when we just want to get a feel for the game is not the way to go. I don't care about stories in demos. I save that for the final release.

I ended up skipping a huge chunk of the cutscenes just cuz I wanted to, ya know, PLAY THE GAME.

I think there's just a miscommunication here. It's both a demo and the beginning of the game, your progress carries over to the final game. It's probably good to keep this in mind going through the demo because when the final version comes out you'll be doing the exact same thing.

• True 1

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think there's just a miscommunication here. It's both a demo and the beginning of the game, your progress carries over to the final game. It's probably good to keep this in mind going through the demo because when the final version comes out you'll be doing the exact same thing.

Yes this is both a demo and the first couple of hours of the game no? I really wish i had a PS5 here to try this out... I can't promise I won't by a digital one if I see it in the wild when I go to NYC later today been kinda wanting one. Any word on a PS5Pro?

It’s an interesting thought. Is the opening hours of a JRPG the best thing to put out as a demo? It’s nice that you can just start the game early, not worry about getting spoiled (or having no idea what’s going on when you’re dropped in mid story), and then you can pick up with the full game without having to replay anything.

But also, the first couple hours of a JRPG are usually boring. The mechanics are at their most basic, and you have to get through a ton of table setting before you get to actually eat. Some of these cutscenes felt like people just listing proper nouns that I’ll have to remember later. 

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

9 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Is the opening hours of a JRPG the best thing to put out as a demo?

I mean, they do have a whole combat section post story mode.

And that prologue is exactly what is needed to sell copies. Pure gameplay wouldn't sell copies like the ending to the demo did.

• Halal 2

14 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It’s an interesting thought. Is the opening hours of a JRPG the best thing to put out as a demo? It’s nice that you can just start the game early, not worry about getting spoiled (or having no idea what’s going on when you’re dropped in mid story), and then you can pick up with the full game without having to replay anything.

But also, the first couple hours of a JRPG are usually boring. The mechanics are at their most basic, and you have to get through a ton of table setting before you get to actually eat. Some of these cutscenes felt like people just listing proper nouns that I’ll have to remember later. 

It's probably easier to just slice off a chunk of the game and put that out as a demo than to custom build something from the middle of the game that doesn't spoil much. I believe one of the Dragon Age's did this as well when it came out... probably the second one?

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, they do have a whole combat section post story mode.

And that prologue is exactly what is needed to sell copies. Pure gameplay wouldn't sell copies like the ending to the demo did.

I agree with Bacon. I prefer the demo sampling the story and beginning of the game (and allowing you to carry over your progress). Maybe the demo should be longer so you get more of a feel for the game? I dunno, but I liked what I played and I haven't really played a FF since FFIX (I played the first couple hours of 15 but couldn't get into it, and I'm not counting FF7:R :p ) and will likely be buying this.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Okay as I was saying on Discord to @ARZ I'm drawing a blank on FFIX and it's main protagonist. Cloud was 7, Squall was 8. and Tidus was 10. Who in the hell was 9 and what was the setting? I remember nothing about it!

ZidaneTribal.png

*coughs*

15 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I played in performance mode. Probably will continue to. 

I'll try both out tonight. I'm pretty excited to play because you usually give spot on impressions and when bacon likes a FF game, it's legit. I'll post a small comment on the demo later. I'm almost positive I'm gunna like it.

44 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'll try both out tonight. I'm pretty excited to play because you usually give spot on impressions and when bacon likes a FF game, it's legit. I'll post a small comment on the demo later. I'm almost positive I'm gunna like it.

Bacon has me blocked so please quote everything I say because that’s the only way my post will show for his fragile anime loving ass. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I get bored with FF's "war between two nations" backdrop that they keep revisiting for some reason.

Also, anyone else get Godzilla vibes from the Titan/Shiva battle? The characters were like "Oh it's Titan. And looks who's here to meet him." Then they watched the battle from a mountain like literally every old Godzilla flick ever made. I laughed at that.

I have FFXVI wishlisted but eeeehhh... I might wait for reviews to see if it's a good story or if it's a bloated mess.

Well the he war between nations, search for crystals, magi abusing power and resources etc has been a staple for FFs from day one. FF10 got away from it somewhat and made it a more personal thing about a father and sons relationship and your companions relationships but it had so much cheese looking back I'm glad they got away from that. 

If Fromsoft has taught me anything it's that I'd much rather be PLAYING than watching back to back to back to back cutscenes. Let me figure out the story as I go when I want, how I want, where I want. Don't make me hold a controller and watch numerous episodes because you think your story is that important. I have Amazon, Netflix, Hulu etc etc for that. And I don't need a controller. I guess I'm too old for bloated cutscene story based games.

But the gameplay does have potential. 

• Halal 1