Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

6 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Exactly. Zelda looks like a 15 year old game but nobody makes any comments on the visuals. 

I mean I bitch about Zelda's and 16's performance and visuals. But someone ITT is being very unfunny and annoying about the gameplay and visuals when both are better than BOTW or TOTK and yet they seem to like TOTK a lot.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean I bitch about Zelda's and 16's performance and visuals. But someone ITT is being very unfunny and annoying about the gameplay and visuals when both are better than BOTW or TOTK and yet they seem to like TOTK a lot.

Got ya. 

10 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Zelda gets a pass I guess

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Exactly. Zelda looks like a 15 year old game but nobody makes any comments on the visuals. 

That’s because some people in this thread are saying these are the best graphics ever lol. Nobody made that claim about Zelda. It’s called context. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Calm down pretty boy. I’ll stop saying bad words about your precious video game. 

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

That’s because some people in this thread are saying these are the best graphics ever lol. Nobody made that claim about Zelda. It’s called context. 

With the resolution and frame rate here I think Zelda looks better on my pc tbf

• Haha 1

Seriously though the performance mode is SOFT. I thought there would be a better fps/res here honestly. But everything else looks great and it looks solidly epic and I bet pre-sales go up after this demo overall. But, there’s a shit ton I need to get through this year and this is likely on pc sometime late next year so it’s a good one to wait on I think. I was glad I waited on FF7R I’m sure same here especially if this doesn’t launch busted.

I mean, no shit this game has better graphics than TotK. This is a flagship PS5 title, and the Switch is probably less powerful than my out of date iPhone. It really doesn’t make sense to compare the two. That doesn’t mean FFXVI looks flawless. If anything, the graphical fidelity makes the hitching and uneven frame rate even more obvious. Everything in TotK looks kinda blurry all the time, so when it doesn’t run smoothly, I don’t notice it as much. Does that make sense, or are my word as bad as my eyes? 

To put this another dumb way: If I order a steak from a fancy restaurant and it’s disappointing, am I not allowed to say anything because I like McDonalds? 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I will be buying the game though. so don’t worry. But for my Dads (30 year long) girlfriend along with a ps5 because she’s been hinting to my Dad for one in time for this for 3 years.

Does she enjoy shitty games?

4 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

To put this another dumb way: If I order a steak from a fancy restaurant and it’s disappointing, am I not allowed to say anything because I like McDonalds? 

Yes because genuinely liking McDonald's completely invalidates all of your other opinions 🤢

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Y’all suck. 

Husband is thinking about getting this. I definitely have an interest, but I’m wrapped up in Zelda for a while. It can wait. 

It's pretty hype when you are playing it.

I’m liking this demo just fine, but man, it’s been a while since I’ve played a game this cutscene heavy. It’s fun when you actually get to play it, and I have to believe the gameplay-to-cutscene ratio will improve deeper into the game, so I might be on board. Probably not at launch though. I’ve been buying too many full price games lately. 

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I’m liking this demo just fine, but man, it’s been a while since I’ve played a game this cutscene heavy. It’s fun when you actually get to play it, and I have to believe the gameplay-to-cutscene ratio will improve deeper into the game, so I might be on board. Probably not at launch though. I’ve been buying too many full price games lately. 

I'd imagine there are vast expanses of no cutscenes and that large portions of cutscenes will be played back to back.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Death Stranding was visually stunning so I get that. Why did you pre-order? Gameplay good?

No I just wanna be able to talk shit about it. 

Spoiler

Without people saying you didn’t even buy it or you aren’t playing it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Framerate was locked on mine in 4k mode, and it’s almost certainly not 30fps (it’s a locked 40fps with VRR). If you’re getting stuttering and bad visuals then you’re having a very different experience than me. Even my wife walked into the room while I was playing and thought it was a movie during the cut scene and wss surprised it was a game.

4k mode just drops the FPS to 30 (absolutely not 40) and I ain't playing a fucking action game at 30 FPS. (And no, weirdos bringing up Zelda, Zelda is not an action game and does not have advanced combat systems and is not super heavily focused on combat like this, unless I can build a flying dick machine then the comparisons make no sense.)

It's either jittery, stuttery 30-60 fps or a somewhat stable but now always unsatisfying-for-an-action-game 30 FPS. Gross. They would've been better off making the performance mode a locked 40 or even 45, which while not 60 is much more responsive and pleasing to the eye than 30 + my entire screen turning to fucking vaseline every time the camera moves. Camera motion blur is so gross. Object motion blur is awesome, but the camera? Bro I didn't pay for a high end 4k screen to have vision like Mr. Magoo every time the camera moves, which, believe it or not, in an action game, is literally all the time.

Anyway, beat the base game demo, doing the Eikonic challenge now, which has been pretty good but still jittery. The controls make less and less sense the more combat options you unlock, and I'm not convinced Square Enix has ever played an action game they didn't make because the way I'm moving my hands to string combos together and stuff is going to summon a demon or something by the time I'm done.

Story has been... slightly interesting so far, I guess? Definitely feels like they watched Game of Thrones and said "Yeah we can do that, we love saying fuck." But you can still tell it's Final Fantasy by the iconic big ugly UI. :lol:

Music has been really good for the most part, which is expected but still glad to see it. It really brings some life to the uhh... "cinematic" eikon fights which are kinda really bad gameplay wise? Like actually awful? Like they made a cutscene but said "what if you could control it a little bit and lose but also losing is really hard" -- it's all spectacle, at least for the first one we see. (Or two? I mean you see it twice but the second time is extended.)

Also Yoshi-P's comments on there not being anything but white people because it's based on medieval Europe but everyone still does 100% Japanese-only shit like weird apology bows is somehow even funnier. I don't think I've ever seen an actual human do an apology bow! Now I'm imagining a Game of Thrones anime where they all do wacky anime shit like that.

If they can get the FPS under control in performance mode, I think the game will be a lot more fun for me personally. While there's many things I'm not a fan of (like it being cutscene -> hallway -> cutscene -> hallway so far) I could see myself having a good time with the battle system if it played smoothly. I also wonder about how long the battle system stays fun if you use all those trinkets to make the gameplay a lot easier for less skilled players. An absolutely massive portion of FF's playerbase has always been super casual gamers, which is why the games traditionally tend to be really easy for the most part, except for super bosses and other optional content. I imagine a huge part of that playerbase is going to be unable to deal with the amount of abilities, ability sets, and other things requiring high dexterity all while attacking and dodging.

So we get these trinkets that make that stuff all a lot easier to deal with. But so far the game seems very much about cutscenes and combat, can it really keep the combat interesting for 40+ hours even without these trinkets, let alone with them? Seems like a big ask. Interested to see how they dealt with it and how the fanbase will deal with it. FFXV was piss easy and a braindead monkey could beat the entire main game (sans the actually hard optional dungeon) just holding down a single button and wiggling the joystick, and making sure to use a potion if they went to 0HP.

Lastly, Cidolfus. :lol:

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

eikon fights which are kinda really bad gameplay wise? Like actually awful?

Well, we don't get a real Eikon fight in the demo. We don't even control the MC's Eikon in that fight and from what footage I have seen it is just mostly the regular action combat but in Eikon form. Like instead of the Eikons looking massive in those fights it looks more like the Eikons are almost normal sized and they made the environment small like how it was done in Mario 64.