Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Well, we don't get a real Eikon fight in the demo. We don't even control the MC's Eikon in that fight and from what footage I have seen it is just mostly the regular action combat but in Eikon form. Like instead of the Eikons looking massive in those fights it looks more like the Eikons are almost normal sized and they made the environment small like how it was done in Mario 64.

That sounds really silly but way more fun than the demo's eikon fights.

Alright, finished the Eikonic Challenge. That was not bad, but I really hope we get a lot more dramatic locales than castles and swamps. A lot of gray in this demo outside of the spells and stuff.

I'm even more confused about the performance now. There's a room you pass through with a fireplace. It has a small battle but after clearing it I noticed just walking around it that the game was chugging and stuttering a bit. Just a tiny bland room with nothing in it. Then a few minutes later in a much more dramatic over-the-top fight the performance was slightly better than the empty room?? I think this game needs another optimization pass. :lol: I'm guessing it's either something weird with the culling, or maybe that room was just streaming data from the two rooms it connected to each time I moved in it or something, but it was weird.

It seems fine, but after all that I'm really concerned that it's going to just be a lot of linear rooms and areas with little for the player to explore and do. I know they showed off some sort of open field but FF13 also had *an* open area, I hope it's not just the one like that. There's a lot to be said for being able to explore and take your time in a world and I don't play Final Fantasy to be railroaded through set pieces like Call of Duty. And imagining a 40+ hour Call of Duty is giving me a headache so I really hope they nailed whatever it is they're going for.

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

m even more confused about the performance now. There's a room you pass through with a fireplace. It has a small battle but after clearing it I noticed just walking around it that the game was chugging and stuttering a bit.

Yeah, I noticed that room too. Supposedly, the full game is on version 1.03 while the demo is on 1.01. I don't expect it to make a difference, but I suppose it could.

19 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Lol, why are we so caught up in what biggie thinks? Just enjoy the game if you like it. I haven't tried it yet so I cannot comment. I'm feeling pretty confident I'll like it from the previews and the few in here that liked it. 

Bruh @DarkStar189 can’t enjoy the game unless I do. I’ve totally ruined it for him. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Lol, why are we so caught up in what biggie thinks? Just enjoy the game if you like it. I haven't tried it yet so I cannot comment. I'm feeling pretty confident I'll like it from the previews and the few in here that liked it. 

I don't care what Biggie thinks. I just dislike the awful shit posts. Like, you know, when there is a game I dislike, I don't go into its general thread and talk about how shit it is. That just ruins the thread. I tend to like reading what people have to say about things I'm interested in. Just sucks to see a Biggie post. It's the same experience as accidentally stepping in dog shit. 

• True 1

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't care what Biggie thinks. I just dislike the awful shit posts. Like, you know, when there is a game I dislike, I don't go into its general thread and talk about how shit it is. That just ruins the thread. I tend to like reading what people have to say about things I'm interested in. Just sucks to see a Biggie post. It's the same experience as accidentally stepping in dog shit. 

It’s a demo. People will talk and offer their opinions on a demo. That’s what a demo is for. To try and see if you like the game or not. It’s silly to think opinions won’t vary with some loving the game and some disliking it. I’m sorry if everyone doesn’t agree with you and Darkstark that the game is fanfuckintastic. It doesn’t seem to bother anyone but you and him. 

So, when I say:

20 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The graphics are pretty insane. Might be the best this gen (that’s playable) so far

I'm talking about the visual fidelity of the game if I were to pause it and take a screenshot. Are there things other games do better? Yes, no shit - Cyberpunk's lighting is off-the-walls insane and it leads to the environments looking "holy bajesus" level, little details in the animations for GoW:Ragnarok add to it's overall look in a way that makes it hard to believe that there's almost no real enhancements on the PS5 vs PS4 version beyond resolution, Forbidden West is just glorious. However, the character/enemy/NPC models in this game combined with HDR effects from light sources is absolutely insane: you may not think this "might be the best" so far, but if you think it's bad or "mid" you're just absolutely insane. :p 

I'm not talking about performance and never would when I discuss fidelity, which seems to be the main hang up from those giving me shit for feeling that this game looks fan-fucking-tastic. I just tried performance mode, and it is indeed a major downgrade in both performance and fidelity as it seems to be an inconsistent mess and even though the "base resolution" is said to be 1440p, it's definitely using FSR on top of that and seemingly in balanced or performance mode which would bring the rendered resolution down to as low as 720p for the FSR "AI" (and I use the term loosely :p ) to reconstruct; it's a blurry mess in performance mode. In resolution mode (or whatever they call theirs) it's likely a 4k base with FSR at quality, so a 1440p render with AI upscale. Regarding VRR or not, I'm pretty shocked this isn't 40fps VRR (there's been a small handful of games that just do it without you needing to specifically select it as long as VRR is enabled in your PS5's settings): I've noted in multiple threads how absolutely horrendous 30fps is on both PS5 and XSX - Forbidden West was absolutely unplayable in the resolution mode prior to the VRR patch for me - even going from 30fps locked games on PS4 to booting them up on my PS5 was "wtf? why is it so shitty" (and, for the record, I'm not saying 30fps was ever good, but it was at least tolerable when there was no other option last gen, like TLoU2). I can even go to a 30fps game on Switch and it's "fine" compared to the shit-show that is 30fps on PS5/XSX. From the research I've done on "why", the theory is that PS4/Xbone and previous consoles used a double buffer vsync by default, but the new consoles use a triple buffer (or maybe the reverse, I can't remember :sun:) which is affecting lower framerate games. With FF16, it feels like "last gens" 30fps for me - it could be the motion blur they're using, but it feels responsive and doesn't have the insane input lag of other 30fps XSX/PS5 titles, so it's possible Square is forcing the correct buffering for a lower fps title.

You can disagree, but some of you disagreeing also think that Gotham Knights is one of the best looking games ever when it looks like a PS4 game :p 

12 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I'm even more confused about the performance now. There's a room you pass through with a fireplace. It has a small battle but after clearing it I noticed just walking around it that the game was chugging and stuttering a bit. Just a tiny bland room with nothing in it. Then a few minutes later in a much more dramatic over-the-top fight the performance was slightly better than the empty room??

Square stated awhile ago that the performance mode would only lock to 60fps during battles and would "vary" everywhere else. I'm guessing FSR and/or resolution scaling gets more aggressive during fights.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

Nah. Biggies post do not bother me at all. He has an opinion on the demo and is allowed to post about it. I'm not sure I can even play this tonight because I have to take my car to the garage. 

I really want to see this shit.

• Hugs 1

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Nah. Biggies post do not bother me at all. He has an opinion on the demo and is allowed to post about it. I'm not sure I can even play this tonight because I have to take my car to the garage. 

What’s wrong with your ride?

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Biggies post do not bother me at all

Good For You Congratulations GIF by Jeopardy!

He has an opinion on the demo

He has had 1 repeated opinion that was said even before the demo.

and is allowed to post about it

Oh, how I wish this wasn't true. Shame he didn't join BlueAngel. But you are right. Just like I could go into the Zelda thread and talk nonstop shit about how much I dislike nu-Zelda. I'll do it outside the general thread, but I have the decency to not spread my feces in the main thread where people who are actually enjoying the game talk about it.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

So, when I say:

I'm talking about the visual fidelity of the game if I were to pause it and take a screenshot. Are there things other games do better? Yes, no shit - Cyberpunk's lighting is off-the-walls insane and it leads to the environments looking "holy bajesus" level, little details in the animations for GoW:Ragnarok add to it's overall look in a way that makes it hard to believe that there's almost no real enhancements on the PS5 vs PS4 version beyond resolution, Forbidden West is just glorious. However, the character/enemy/NPC models in this game combined with HDR effects from light sources is absolutely insane: you may not think this "might be the best" so far, but if you think it's bad or "mid" you're just absolutely insane. :p 

I'm not talking about performance and never would when I discuss fidelity, which seems to be the main hang up from those giving me shit for feeling that this game looks fan-fucking-tastic. I just tried performance mode, and it is indeed a major downgrade in both performance and fidelity as it seems to be an inconsistent mess and even though the "base resolution" is said to be 1440p, it's definitely using FSR on top of that and seemingly in balanced or performance mode which would bring the rendered resolution down to as low as 720p for the FSR "AI" (and I use the term loosely :p ) to reconstruct; it's a blurry mess in performance mode. In resolution mode (or whatever they call theirs) it's likely a 4k base with FSR at quality, so a 1440p render with AI upscale. Regarding VRR or not, I'm pretty shocked this isn't 40fps VRR (there's been a small handful of games that just do it without you needing to specifically select it as long as VRR is enabled in your PS5's settings): I've noted in multiple threads how absolutely horrendous 30fps is on both PS5 and XSX - Forbidden West was absolutely unplayable in the resolution mode prior to the VRR patch for me - even going from 30fps locked games on PS4 to booting them up on my PS5 was "wtf? why is it so shitty" (and, for the record, I'm not saying 30fps was ever good, but it was at least tolerable when there was no other option last gen, like TLoU2). I can even go to a 30fps game on Switch and it's "fine" compared to the shit-show that is 30fps on PS5/XSX. From the research I've done on "why", the theory is that PS4/Xbone and previous consoles used a double buffer vsync by default, but the new consoles use a triple buffer (or maybe the reverse, I can't remember :sun:) which is affecting lower framerate games. With FF16, it feels like "last gens" 30fps for me - it could be the motion blur they're using, but it feels responsive and doesn't have the insane input lag of other 30fps XSX/PS5 titles, so it's possible Square is forcing the correct buffering for a lower fps title.

You can disagree, but some of you disagreeing also think that Gotham Knights is one of the best looking games ever when it looks like a PS4 game :p 

Square stated awhile ago that the performance mode would only lock to 60fps during battles and would "vary" everywhere else. I'm guessing FSR and/or resolution scaling gets more aggressive during fights.

I still think Gotham Knights looks better maxed out now at 4k/120 on pc than this game looks in its current ps5 profile tbf :p

I do think this is one of the best looking games out based on the demo, it’s up there in the small list of current gen worthy games Ive played. It’s just also heavily compromised on iq/performance and that gets fixed in a year, two years tops by waiting. It’s not so bad that if it was something that was on top of my list I would wait, but my level of interest and the level of compromise here is just right for me to only buy this game once!

25 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Oh, how I wish this wasn't true. Shame he didn't join BlueAngel. But you are right. Just like I could go into the Zelda thread and talk nonstop shit about how much I dislike nu-Zelda. I'll do it outside the general thread, but I have the decency to not spread my feces in the main thread where people who are actually enjoying the game talk about it.

Man you are Final Fantasy butt hurt. 

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

FF15 actually still looks insane on pc, curious if this gets a big upgrade too besides the obvious stuff

FF15 Royal Edition on PC maxed out at 4K/60fps, which is how I first played the game, is downright gorgeous. I still feel the Luminous Engine, when used right (which FF15 did better under Hajime Tabata than Forspoken did without him), is better than the UE4/UE5 that FF7R and FF16 are doing. 

Unfortunately FF7 Rebirth and FF16 are using the Unreal Engine, not the Luminous Engine like FF15 and Forspoken did.

• Halal 1

41 minutes ago, stepee said:

I still think Gotham Knights looks better maxed out now at 4k/120 on pc than this game looks in its current ps5 profile tbf :p

I do think this is one of the best looking games out based on the demo, it’s up there in the small list of current gen worthy games Ive played. It’s just also heavily compromised on iq/performance and that gets fixed in a year, two years tops by waiting. It’s not so bad that if it was something that was on top of my list I would wait, but my level of interest and the level of compromise here is just right for me to only buy this game once!

You could run Gotham Knights in 12k/360fps and it would still not be an impressive looking game.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

What’s wrong with your ride?

It needs an oil change. It's been behaving pretty good as of late. Should be a quick stop. 

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I understand and you make a good point. I just know biggie really means no harm and is just trying to get a rise out of you. But that can be annoying, yes.  🙄 

I just think he is hilarious most of the time so it's never made me upset etc. 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Depends what you count, I would probably be blown away by about anything last gen up at 12k/360fps!

Nah, because the textures would look horrible since they’re made for 4k at best. :p 

But, regardless, you’re including resolution and framerate when I’m only talking about the fidelity/quality of what’s being rendered.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Except he doesn't have an opinion on the demo, he had a concluded that the game sucked 6 months ago (maybe longer) you can go back and read him calling the game shit numerous times way before demo came out. Like it's kind of pathetic to keep posting over & over about something you hate. It's bringing me back to the IGN Vestibule days. Most of us grew up, some apparently didn't.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Nah, because the textures would look horrible since they’re made for 4k at best. :p 

But, regardless, you’re including resolution and framerate when I’m only talking about the fidelity/quality of what’s being rendered.

I’m not really arguing either lol, I said I think FF16 looks great, just the iq/fps is such that it’s worth waiting for me, I know that’s not what you are talking about, but it’s what I’m talking about for my impressions! 

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I’m not really arguing either lol, I said I think FF16 looks great, just the iq/fps is such that it’s worth waiting for me, I know that’s not what you are talking about, but it’s what I’m talking about for my impressions! 

We can agree on one thing for sure and that is that I will double dip... :p

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I just know biggie really means no harm

No, I actually think he does and you basically agree as you said next

45 minutes ago, best3444 said:

and is just trying to get a rise out of you

That's contradictory. And it has nothing to do with FFXVI. Well, not exactly, he does this all the time. Just enters a thread he has no interest in and decided to take a shit and roll around in it. I know he specifically did in topics related to Mass Effect. It's his MO. I saw that he pre-ordered it and blocked him last night. Don't want the smell of shit to get in the way of a good time. So, I did specifically block him in this case because this is an FFXVI thread. If it was, let's say, a Mass Effect 4 thread, I'd block him there too if he couldn't stop the shit from spewing. Which he can't as he never actually has anything to say. Didn't care all that much before the game was about to come out, but now the is some of the game to play so I don't wanna see that shit. Again, even if he didn't like it, if he had something to actually say about other than 1 sentence and a gif, I'd be fine with that. I mean, I shit on shit I play all the time.

• Halal 1

28 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Except he doesn't have an opinion on the demo, he had a concluded that the game sucked 6 months ago (maybe longer) you can go back and read him calling the game shit numerous times way before demo came out. Like it's kind of pathetic to keep posting over & over about something you hate. It's bringing me back to the IGN Vestibule days. Most of us grew up, some apparently didn't.

I guess I'm not paying too much attention to he's posts. I took notice that he said it didn't look good visually but I know he and I have much different tastes in games in general. Just ignore his posts if it is really that annoying for you. 

29 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

so what if I knew I didn't like the game 6 months ago before the demo came out? You like every game? Madden for example, if you didn't like or enjoy a football sim I am postive you already know Madden 24 is gonna suck. Please if I am going to live in your head at least charge me some rent.

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

so what if I knew I didn't like the game 6 months ago before the demo came out? You like every game? Madden for example, if you didn't like or enjoy a football sim I am postive you already know Madden 24 is gonna suck. Please if I am going to live in your head at least charge me some rent.

I don't post about games I don't like and on the very rare occasions that I do, I offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism about what I don't like and how it could be improved. I don't just shitpost over and over in the assassins creed topic because I don't like that game because it's a silly waste of time and serves no purpose. Like serously, grow up.

@Xbob42 Has been pretty critical of the game going back awhile and I gave him a little ribbing for it but he gives things a fair chance and offers constructive criticism.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

No, I actually think he does and you basically agree as you said next

That's contradictory. And it has nothing to do with FFXVI. Well, not exactly, he does this all the time. Just enters a thread he has no interest in and decided to take a shit and roll around in it. I know he specifically did in topics related to Mass Effect. It's his MO. I saw that he pre-ordered it and blocked him last night. Don't want the smell of shit to get in the way of a good time. So, I did specifically block him in this case because this is an FFXVI thread. If it was, let's say, a Mass Effect 4 thread, I'd block him there too if he couldn't stop the shit from spewing. Which he can't as he never actually has anything to say. Didn't care all that much before the game was about to come out, but now the is some of the game to play so I don't wanna see that shit. Again, even if he didn't like it, if he had something to actually say about other than 1 sentence and a gif, I'd be fine with that. I mean, I shit on shit I play all the time.

I honestly never notice him doing this? I'm being serious but I would never block someone even if he does what you're saying. Just blow by he's post and ignore him. 

Just now, thedarkstark said:

I don't post about games I don't like and on the very rare occasions that I do, I offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism about what I don't like and how it could be improved. I don't just shitpost over and over in the assassins creed topic because I don't like that game because it's a silly waste of time and serves no purpose.

Well I do post about games I don't like. 

This game could be improved by pulling it and never releasing it. 

Better?