Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Ah. Well, anyway, I really haven't. You are just cherry-picking if you actually think I've only been negative. And as I have said many times, it's better that I am negative now than before the game comes out. Think how negative I would have been if went into this without knowing there could be a possibility of frame rate issues. All of that has already been said and I can focus more on enjoying what I like. It's why my biggest bullet points in the major negatives are about the controls as that wasn't something I was expecting.

Yeah you weren't bad it was mostly @Xbob42 & @Biggie trying to kill my vibe.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

It's really only cuz it's made by CBU3 in this case lul

Well I'm happy you have some positives to say about this! 😄 

I'm really excited for this since you have a lot of good things to say. Plus amazing visuals at 40fps gets me hard.

:angry-fap:

• Halal 1

Ugh. The FPS is total shit. Yoshi-P over here bragging about the "power of the PS5," I set the game to prioritize FPS and the opening section feels like it's between 20 to 60 FPS, making it extremely jarring and unpleasant to follow. Get to another section in a much less action-packed area and turning the camera from one side to another also drops the FPS from between 30 to 60.

Massive FPS shifts like this are awful. What the hell were they thinking? Prioritize FPS should mean sacrifice your masturbatory effects to get a good frame rate, not just unlock it from 30 and say "fuck it." No wonder the PC version's gonna take so long to "optimize," if they think this PS5 version is optimized they're actually insane.

And this is exactly the kind of game where you don't want the game to be constantly shifting between different frame rates, that's why DMC has always endeavored to hit 60 at all times, or as often as is possible.

And speaking of masturbatory effects, they'll at one scene have like 500 characters on-screen in a fairly impressive (but completely non-interactive) combat set and then it cuts to Clive's fucking beard which is literally just a texture as part of his face, at least on FPS mode. It's just literally a flat blurry set of lines that's part of his skin texture. So bizarre.

Performance is actually reminding me quite a bit of Forspoken's PS5 performance, but not as stable?

I found myself often looking at the ground when I could as it was the only way to get 60fps. Part of me wonders how much the motion blur is impacting it or is it their attempt to mask it? For real, play the graphics mode and it feels even worse even tho it is stable. Looks really jittery to me.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I found myself often looking at the ground when I could as it was the only way to get 60fps. Part of me wonders how much the motion blur is impacting it or is it their attempt to mask it? For real, play the graphic mode and it feels even worse even tho it is stable. Looks really jittery to me.

I was about to say, it's really jittery, almost stuttery at times. It's extremely annoying to me and constantly distracting.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I was about to say, it's really jittery, almost stuttery at times. It's extremely annoying to me and constantly distracting.

Unless it is fixed in the full release, not counting on it, I've accepted how bad that aspect is and I'll deal with it cuz man am I into this GoT Final Fantasy story. For most other games it would be a deal breaker.

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I haven't been impressed with the graphical fidelity for a while and that still stands with the demo. But they have accomplished a grand spectacle and I really like that. It is nice to watch.

That's all that I need to hear then. I'll be perfectly happy with it.

Yeah I'm not terribly impressed by the visuals, but I also generally don't care as long as a game meets a minimum threshold of looking good. What does irritate me is when games run poorly and then have weird shit like beards being part of skin texture instead of being, you know, not painted on.

I see some potential with the combat so far (fighting Shrek in the swamp and perfect dodging his club spin over and over and then Square->Triangle->Square->Triangle->Square->Triangle->R2 phoenix attack for a huge combo was pretty fun compared to the rather bland bits of combat prior, you can magic burst every part of a combo by the way, which makes the choice of both attack and magic being face buttons even more confusing since they're difficult buttons to continually and quickly chain together while holding a controller normally), but the fucking frame rate is killing it for me. I figured I'd be playing it anyway since I always check out mainline FF titles, but this might actually get me to just straight up cancel my pre-order, this is completely unacceptable levels of performance, made bafflingly more annoying after Yoshi-P basically sucked the PS5's cock for the last year or so. Maybe he was just impressed it could get over 10 FPS or something.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Yoshi-P basically sucked the PS5's cock for the last year or so.

Sony probably paid heavily for that cock sucking. That or he was saying whatever he could to make 16 sell well while being stuck on one console.

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

but this might actually get me to just straight up cancel my pre-order

well, it is coming to PC probably within the next two years

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Sony probably paid heavily for that cock sucking. That or he was saying whatever he could to make 16 sell well while being stuck on one console.

well, it is coming to PC probably within the next two years

Given Square's porting history that might mean either a great port or that I never play the game. :lol: FF7R on PC was a stuttery abomination that has yet to be fixed. FF15 was a great port of a bad game, FF14 is of course lovely on PC, NEO: TWEWY is good, Stranger of Paradise was real bad for a long time but now runs completely fine for me for some reason. (I imagine that reason being a 4080 and a 13900k) and the Crisis Core remake ran well. But then they've got a bunch of games locked at 30 and shit, they're so hit or miss.

47 minutes ago, Biggie said:

If what I think about FF XVI kills your vibe then you have problems lol. Who gives a shit.

I don't really care but why are you constantly being negative about something you don't like or care about?

I don't go posting on anime forums telling everyone how stupid & shitty anime is. It's not for me & that would be a massive waste of my time, but here you are...

10 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

you can magic burst every part of a combo by the way

I didn't know this

I also didn't know until much later that you could just hold down your shoot button during the Eikon battle and I didn't have to mash it.

Framerate was locked on mine in 4k mode, and it’s almost certainly not 30fps (it’s a locked 40fps with VRR). If you’re getting stuttering and bad visuals then you’re having a very different experience than me. Even my wife walked into the room while I was playing and thought it was a movie during the cut scene and wss surprised it was a game.

FF7R works fine if you play in dx11 and add hdr back with special K.

But yeah, I think this convinced me to wait for pc. Plenty else to play this year and I don’t want to play this in either of the two modes here. 

Im certainly not seeing this as being better looking than path traced Cyberpunk, or like, in the same league at all lol. Characters of course look great. But even for console Id still give it to Horizon FW easy.

I also don’t think it’s doing 40fps? Looking at the LG overlay it doesn’t look like it and it certainly doesn’t feel like it to me. There is super strong motion blur but it’s not doing the trick for me and I still just want that gone. Pretty sure it’s just 30fps. If there IS a 40hz mode I’m missing can someone let me know anything special you did to activate? If it’s working it should show in 120hz mode in the LG overlay, if it’s 60fps in the overlay then you are getting 30fps.

Yeah unless I’m missing something there is no 40hz mode. I just tried 40hz mode in Horizon to make sure my ps5 settings are correct and it works fine there and shows how I would expect (120hz container) unlike FF16 which is in 60hz container.

If it’s actually 30fps then it’s the first time 30fps hasn’t looked or felt like garbage on current gen consoles for me. On PS4/Xbone it was “fine” but with PS5/XSX 30fps has been unplayable, and no it has nothing to do with suddenly being used to 60fps since I’ve been a PC gamer since the 90s :p 

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im certainly not seeing this as being better looking than path traced Cyberpunk, or like, in the same league at all lol. Characters of course look great. But even for console Id still give it to Horizon FW easy.

I’m talking about the character models, I even said that in my reply to you :p 

What the fuck. 40fps or not? Every game that offers it has the options clearly visible to select and it usually has "enable 120hrz" which will then tell you it will make the game run at 40fps.

Spiderman Remastered and Ratchet and Clank come to mind. 

33 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

I don't really care but why are you constantly being negative about something you don't like or care about?

I don't go posting on anime forums telling everyone how stupid & shitty anime is. It's not for me & that would be a massive waste of my time, but here you are...

Because I feel it’s my duty as a video game player to warn other players that this game is meh.