Pope declares death penalty inadmissible, changing Church's stance

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/02/europe/pope-death-penalty-intl/index.html?

Pope Francis has declared that the death penalty is never admissible and that the Catholic Church will work towards its abolition around the world, the Vatican formally announced Thursday.

The change, which has been added to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, makes official a position that the Pope has articulated since he became pontiff.

The Church now teaches that "the death penalty is inadmissible because it is an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person" and states that it will "work with determination towards its abolition worldwide," the Vatican said.

The Catholic Church's teaching on the death penalty has been slowly evolving since the time of Pope John Paul II, who served from 1978 to 2005.

54 minutes ago, legend said:

How much political sway does the Catholic church have in the US? My impression (which may be wrong) was that the protestants had more political power here.

The Roman Catholic Church is the largest single Christian denomination (24% of the population) in the US, but when combined the various heretic...I mean, "Protestant" denominations account for 45% of the population.  As the US Latin/Hispanic population grows, the shift towards Catholicism will become greater. 

In terms of political power, it's hard to say.  The Catholic Church is VERY powerful in areas where there are significant Catholic populations (Boston, New York, etc.) but the political beliefs of Catholic laity run the gamut from neofascist ultra-conservative hardliners to Marxist liberation theology.

1 hour ago, legend said:

How much political sway does the Catholic church have in the US? My impression (which may be wrong) was that the protestants had more political power here.

Look at it this way: Out of 45 presidents throughout it's history, America has had one Catholic commander-in-chief. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Don't a lot of self-described Catholics basically ignore the Vatican most of the time?

I think that applies to most organizations, and the answer is always yes.

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

If by "a lot" you mean "practically every single one of them", that's right.

The only Catholics I ever see give deference to the Pope are by ex-Protestants who moved over specifically because they wanted a central authority figure.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Don't a lot of self-described Catholics basically ignore the Vatican most of the time?

I've seen this in my own family. My brother recently converted to Catholicism and it's been interesting where he chooses to focus his faith and where he differs from the Pope.