Oculus Quest 2: ~4k, 6GB RAM, 90hz, starts at $299

TwinIon

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I finally put in an order for a Quest 2, but it won't be here until Jan 27.

I was looking at link cables, and there are a ton of them on Amazon. Anyone have a specific recommendation, or does it not really matter?

Supposedly the Link Cable is janky. There’s a way to use Virtual Desktop and play from your PC wirelessly.

9 hours ago, best3444 said:

I workout enough at work. When I game I like to relax. Do all quest games require you to stand up? Also, I think I want to grab both next gen consoles before quest 2. 

Plenty of games are playable sitting down and some even recommend it. Rex I play sitting down, Until You Fall has a sitting and standling mode, Audica I think you could play seated so there is a sittig rhytm game option!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I finally put in an order for a Quest 2, but it won't be here until Jan 27.

I was looking at link cables, and there are a ton of them on Amazon. Anyone have a specific recommendation, or does it not really matter?

Ive been using the Anker cable with the monoprice or cable creations active extension (I'd go with monoprice). If you have a good router (preferably wifi 6) and plan to play close to it, virtual desktop is another great option, but I've had better luck with visuals and controller latency corded. I did play on a older router that isn't reliable, but it did work good for me, just not as well as corded. 

Just got my Quest 2 in, haven't really taken it for a spin yet. Kinda annoyed that some games I'd happily replay aren't available for cross play.

How often do games like Beat Saber or Superhot go on sale for the Quest?

I think I'm going to try out the wireless PC link and see how that goes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Just got my Quest 2 in, haven't really taken it for a spin yet. Kinda annoyed that some games I'd happily replay aren't available for cross play.

How often do games like Beat Saber or Superhot go on sale for the Quest?

I think I'm going to try out the wireless PC link and see how that goes.

Not very often at all. The terrible sales (both in how often and how much is taken off when they do have them) is one of the worst parts about Quest 2. @Rev will back me up.

Luckily, being able to use virtual desktop to play pc games wirelessly in vr is one of the best things about Quest 2, so yeah, that’s what I do for games I already own on pc that aren’t crossbuy.

41 minutes ago, stepee said:

Not very often at all. The terrible sales (both in how often and how much is taken off when they do have them) is one of the worst parts about Quest 2. @Rev will back me up.

Luckily, being able to use virtual desktop to play pc games wirelessly in vr is one of the best things about Quest 2, so yeah, that’s what I do for games I already own on pc that aren’t crossbuy.

Yea, unless you really plan on using this outside of your own home, I'd imagine taking advantage of Steam/GMG sales and using VD is your best bet most of the time with Quest/2.

I have come across one drawback to the Quest 2, at least I can personally compare to PSVR.  For me there is a much smaller sweet spot to get the entire lens FOV to be in focus.  Apparently Reddit noticed this issue, and people say it's way worse than Quest 1 - or any other VR headset.  On the PSVR I can get the entire FOV to be in focus, but I can never keep it there because the headset moves around too much.  On the Quest 2 I can at least keep the headset in one position, but I can't find a position where the edges of the lenses are as clear as the center.  Some people speculate this can be fixed in software, so hopefully it will be updated.

And just like the PSVR I have a hard time getting smudges/oil off the lense, even after using a brand new microfibre cloth.

I wish a higher-end headset would adopt Virtual Desktop wireless streaming method, because it looks and works pretty well.  Whatever headset I buy next has to have a much higher FOV and be wireless.  I can't go back to wired.

21 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I have come across one drawback to the Quest 2, at least I can personally compare to PSVR.  For me there is a much smaller sweet spot to get the entire lens FOV to be in focus.  Apparently Reddit noticed this issue, and people say it's way worse than Quest 1 - or any other VR headset.  On the PSVR I can get the entire FOV to be in focus, but I can never keep it there because the headset moves around too much.  On the Quest 2 I can at least keep the headset in one position, but I can't find a position where the edges of the lenses are as clear as the center.  Some people speculate this can be fixed in software, so hopefully it will be updated.

And just like the PSVR I have a hard time getting smudges/oil off the lense, even after using a brand new microfibre cloth.

I wish a higher-end headset would adopt Virtual Desktop wireless streaming method, because it looks and works pretty well.  Whatever headset I buy next has to have a much higher FOV and be wireless.  I can't go back to wired.

I dont know if this will help or not, but adjusting the FFR in sidequest settings to off reduces edge blurring. You might want to try the half step setting for the IDP adjustment.

Started playing Hellblade via the Wireless Virtual Desktop link and I'm very impressed how well it works. After Hellblade I'll definitely have to give Alyx another playthrough wirelessly.

Anyone have the Elite battery strap? I've also noticed the issue that @cusideabelincoln mentioned with a narrow sweet spot. Wondering if the upgraded strap would help.

On 1/8/2021 at 8:07 PM, cusideabelincoln said:

Yes..this greatly depends on the space between your eyes...for some reason they made it so you only have 3 options whereas on the Quest it was a slider that covered the entire range...some people are more or less affected depending on where they fall. I got lucky...hopefully Quest 3 gets 110 FOC and sliding IPD back.   

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

Started playing Hellblade via the Wireless Virtual Desktop link and I'm very impressed how well it works. After Hellblade I'll definitely have to give Alyx another playthrough wirelessly.

Anyone have the Elite battery strap? I've also noticed the issue that @cusideabelincoln mentioned with a narrow sweet spot. Wondering if the upgraded strap would help.

The elite strap does help and just in general comfort as well (i don’t know about the battery pack specifically i imagine it just provides better counter weight). The default strap is like purposely bad.

As far as the ipd adjustment alpha is talking about there some people who didn’t match the default ones have had luck doing half increments by sliding it really slow and stopping it, it does fit in place and the software does recognize it. Also some people reported improvements by using the glasses extender even if you don’t wear glasses.

I played around with that stuff and it’s easy to check but what I use when I can select any ipd is one of the defaults so I’m staying there.

• 1 month later...

For anyone that wanted to use Virtual Desktop to stream games from their PCs and not have to sideload a patch into their Quest 2, be happy.

38982462_2032515460150085_39482453279071
WWW.OCULUS.COM

Connect to your computer to watch movies, browse the web or play games on a giant virtual screen or in various theater environments. Virtual Desktop is a highly optimized, native application developed...

The full streamer is now all official-like without the need for any patches. Looks like Facebook had finally decided to allow it. From the version notes...

Changes in this version:

• Removed need for patch to stream PCVR games

• Added multi-account support in the Streamer app

• Screenshots taken on your Quest are now automatically transferred to your desktop

• Added Voice Over for notifications

• Added Wi-Fi speed information, runtime used by game and GPU name to the Performance Overlay

• Sliced encoding and Microphone passthrough are now enabled by default

• 2 months later...
DrBibop-VRMod-2.0.0.png.256x256_q85.png
THUNDERSTORE.IO

Play Risk of Rain 2 in virtual reality! Now with motion controls!

Maybe someone's next favorite VR game that they already have here (I remember RoR2 being talked about some)! I thought the game should have VR support looked like it would suit it well and now I'm looking forward to playing it this way.

Solaris is on sale right now and it will be getting cross play soon I would suggest picking it up (I did). Also I got a 30% off code and picked up Pistol Whip... I decided from the previews that I would get good playing it with no aim assist and dual wielding :whistlin: I tried one game on easy without the mods and was like "I got this" then I put on the mods  :nervous::epilepsy::cry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, stepee said:

So we get a free new face cover is that right?

Correct. Just open your list of devices on the Oculus support site and it should just have the option to claim your new face cover.

Their own documentation makes it sound way more complicated than it is.