Oculus Quest 2: ~4k, 6GB RAM, 90hz, starts at $299

TwinIon

53 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Looks like the average size of Quest stand-alone games is, what, 2-4GB, is that right?  Seems like the 64GB version would be more than enough for these games, as the more demanding ones I want to play via Virtual Desktop anyway.  Is this the general consensus?

Yeah, I think the 64gb is more than enough unless you want to store 3d movies on it or something.

So far the app that made me most giddiest was a browser-based Spider-man game in Firefox.  It looked like a PS1 game and the physics were pretty basic, but the feel of shooting your webs and swinging was fucking amazing.  I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want a more fleshed out Spidey game.

Also I am intrigued by just drawing the Guardian area upon setup.  Are there any decent augmented reality games?

19 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

So far the app that made me most giddiest was a browser-based Spider-man game in Firefox.  It looked like a PS1 game and the physics were pretty basic, but the feel of shooting your webs and swinging was fucking amazing.  I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want a more fleshed out Spidey game.

Also I am intrigued by just drawing the Guardian area upon setup.  Are there any decent augmented reality games?

Population One climbing and gliding are pretty cool as well. No AR stuff yet, but there are a few games that support full hand tracking. I also saw a video that allowed you to bring in your physical keyboard into VR, but it had to stay in the same spot. Some oculus updates also hinted couches and other home object that can be placed in the gaurdion. 

10 hours ago, Iculus said:

It's complicated. The short answer is 2020 sucks. I found the device to be quite impressive, especially for the price.

I feel ya, Ii might be in the same boat now... They places new restrictions in Indiana and I will probably make a third of what I did this week last year. However if finances aren't ruined this week there is supposed to be a big sale on the Quest store for Black Friday!

What games do you guys recommend for an 11 year old? Looking at the BF sale, and limiting to $50 max, we were thinking Vader Immortal, Robo Recall Unplugged, and maybe like Thrill of the Fight or Fruit Ninja...? Could also nix two of those in favor of Moss ($30), however then he’ll just have two games to play.

Also, we wanted to set it up for him (my fiancé’s nephew), but I know you need a Facebook account for Quest 2 and he doesn’t have one. If we create one for him (his mom said we could) is it going to get flagged as a burner account for Quest? The other option would be to tie it to his mom’s account.

Lastly can you buy gift cards for the Oculus store? We don’t want our CCs on file since it’s not ours :p 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

What games do you guys recommend for an 11 year old? Looking at the BF sale, and limiting to $50 max, we were thinking Vader Immortal, Robo Recall Unplugged, and maybe like Thrill of the Fight or Fruit Ninja...? Could also nix two of those in favor of Moss ($30), however then he’ll just have two games to play.

Also, we wanted to set it up for him (my fiancé’s nephew), but I know you need a Facebook account for Quest 2 and he doesn’t have one. If we create one for him (his mom said we could) is it going to get flagged as a burner account for Quest? The other option would be to tie it to his mom’s account.

Lastly can you buy gift cards for the Oculus store? We don’t want our CCs on file since it’s not ours :p 

Audica is on sale for $20 I would recommend that and check the Rift store there are some cross-buy games there cheap that aren't on sale on the rift store. Dash Dash World isn't on sale but great for an 11 year old.

• 4 weeks later...

PSA Star Wars Squadrons is $13.99 with coupon on the Epic Games Store for the holiday sale! Also Tetris Effect for $16.79 if you prefer to get the PC version (is there much of a difference between the two versions does anyone know?). Operencia: The Stolen Sun is on sale for $11.99 and looks interesting has anyone here played it?

10 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

PSA Star Wars Squadrons is $13.99 with coupon on the Epic Games Store for the holiday sale! Also Tetris Effect for $16.79 if you prefer to get the PC version (is there much of a difference between the two versions does anyone know?). Operencia: The Stolen Sun is on sale for $11.99 and looks interesting has anyone here played it?

How easy is it to run the EGS version of squadrons in VR?

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

How easy is it to run the EGS version of squadrons in VR?

For my use case it takes an extra step.  I own the game on EGS, but I load it through Steam.  So when I launch the game through Steam it opens Origin, which then opens EGS.  To get the VR to actually work, I had to wait until the game is fully loaded, go to settings, and manually toggle the VR option on/off while I have a mission loaded (so when there's a 3D load on the system).  So the game didn't launch in VR mode automatically for some reason, and I had trouble getting VR to enable from the main start menu.

And before you people ask why I just don't launch from EGS, I use the Steam controller with custom bindings and gyro support to play the game :beatup:

Hopefully the game goes on a good sale on Steam because I think I'm just going to double dip.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

For my use case it takes an extra step.  I own the game on EGS, but I load it through Steam.  So when I launch the game through Steam it opens Origin, which then opens EGS.  To get the VR to actually work, I had to wait until the game is fully loaded, go to settings, and manually toggle the VR option on/off while I have a mission loaded (so when there's a 3D load on the system).  So the game didn't launch in VR mode automatically for some reason, and I had trouble getting VR to enable from the main start menu.

And before you people ask why I just don't launch from EGS, I use the Steam controller with custom bindings and gyro support to play the game :beatup:

Hopefully the game goes on a good sale on Steam because I think I'm just going to double dip.

I’ll wait for a Steam sale :p 

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

This is the first time I’ve truly understood people’s annoyance with multiple storefronts for pc games.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Wait do I need to go through those hoops? I have Star Wars on Origin via EA premier.

Possibly, since it won't be a native Steam game.  I had to manually add the game to my VR list on Steam as well.  Not sure how the VR desktop software is for the Reverb, but for Oculus I was also running other programs to get the headset completely wireless.

8 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Possibly, since it won't be a native Steam game.  I had to manually add the game to my VR list on Steam as well.  Not sure how the VR desktop software is for the Reverb, but for Oculus I was also running other programs to get the headset completely wireless.

Mmm might just buy the game on steam to save time. I get the Reverb today which suprises me.

Any other game recommendations? I have Squadrons, want to get Rick and Morty and that ghost hunter game.

18 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Mmm might just buy the game on steam to save time. I get the Reverb today which suprises me.

Any other game recommendations? I have Squadrons, want to get Rick and Morty and that ghost hunter game.

Polybius, Moose Life, Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect, Audica, Until You Fall, Superhot VR and Thumper are all games you should own. There are some other titles I would recommend but I feel those are core VR experiences.

• Thanks 1