Oculus Quest 2: ~4k, 6GB RAM, 90hz, starts at $299

TwinIon

1 hour ago, Stickey said:

Thanks, that actually works really well! I still might upgrade at some point, but this definitely feels better than whatever I was doing. 

I've mostly been messing around with video. Being able to watch Netflix in bed with the screen on the "ceiling" is definitely nice. I've also done some sight-seeing VR tours on Youtube, which is really cool.

The one game I've bought so far is Beat Saber. I know that's a pretty basic pick, but hot damn is that fun! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Thanks, that actually works really well! I still might upgrade at some point, but this definitely feels better than whatever I was doing. 

I've mostly been messing around with video. Being able to watch Netflix in bed with the screen on the "ceiling" is definitely nice. I've also done some sight-seeing VR tours on Youtube, which is really cool.

The one game I've bought so far is Beat Saber. I know that's a pretty basic pick, but hot damn is that fun! 

Try the Superhot demo!!

25 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'd really love a wireless headset for Beat Saber alone, but until the link cable works more or less perfectly I can't justify ditching the Rift S

WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT THE LINK CABLE!!

Virtual Desktop is $25 and works nearly flawlessly. WITHOUT THE DUMB CABLE.

Yeah, virtual desktop is a no-brainer imo. The only reason you might reasonably opt for the Link is if you have no wifi imo and even then there are work arounds. Also, the elite strap is kind of a must-have. I mean it's like 10 times better than the old strap and the stock strap on the Quest 2 is utter dogshit. May as well be a jock strap.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I get that they wanted to keep the base price low, but paying $50 for a replacement head strap feels shitty to me. They obviously knew that people weren’t going to like the base strap, but instead of improving that one they make this extra thing on the side. 

To be fair the frankenquest mod for the original quest was $150 (included speakers), so $50 isnt really a huge deal when it comes to these things. My cheaply put together "frankenquest" was probably $50 total in cost lol.

The biggest disappointment about this for me is that there is no official way to just transfer all your saved games. All the main ones I was in the middle of didn’t transfer over the save even trying to use sidequest because of protections.

There is a way I guess for most games by hacking your way around using helium but it looks like a huge pain in the ass so I’ll probably not get around to trying it until the weekend.

The headset itself is a huge improvement so it’s not like I’m going to return it or anything but it really ruined the initial launch fun for me because I wanted to dive in when everything is all set up and now I’m just gonna play Mario Galaxy on switch instead for now.

16 minutes ago, nublood said:

I just got this for my son, but it’s a Christmas present. How does the Facebook integration work? Does he have to create a Facebook account to use it? This is the first VR thingy I’ve ever bought.

A facebook account is required. Not sure about the process.

7 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Am I the only one that cant enable developer mode?

Im assuming you're using the phone app?  

If you're using Virtual Desktop with the Quest 2, take a second to check your options in SteamVR. The auto graphics setting in SteamVR opted to set my resolution to 4k per eye for some reason and it was totally fucking my performance. Worth checking.

It's kind of a weird phenomenon because if you really hate Facebook, it seems intuitive that you wouldn't own a Facebook account. And if you don't own a Facebook account already, then the FB/Oculus issue shouldn't affect you much, because you can set up a new (your only) Facebook account and keep it completely free of anything social without breaking the TOS and it's indistinguishable from just having an Oculus account in terms of extra data they have to sell or whatever. 

4 hours ago, Rev said:

It's kind of a weird phenomenon because if you really hate Facebook, it seems intuitive that you wouldn't own a Facebook account. And if you don't own a Facebook account already, then the FB/Oculus issue shouldn't affect you much, because you can set up a new (your only) Facebook account and keep it completely free of anything social without breaking the TOS and it's indistinguishable from just having an Oculus account in terms of extra data they have to sell or whatever. 

It's called being a Jason

25 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

If there is a multi platform VR game, and you have a highly capable gaming rig, would it be better to by the game on steam and use VD or oculus store?  

I try to buy Steam first, UNLESS its cross buy with the PC/rift version, OR its a game I would like to take on the go to show family where I cant use a pc. This is the way.

39 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

If there is a multi platform VR game, and you have a highly capable gaming rig, would it be better to by the game on steam and use VD or oculus store?  

I always buy on Steam unless it's something I think I'll want to play when I'm not at home. Like at a hotel or something.

6 hours ago, Rev said:

Is it entirely possible for someone to have signed up for facebook when it was a cool thing and then it degenerated into shit over the years?

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Is it entirely possible for someone to have signed up for facebook when it was a cool thing and then it degenerated into shit over the years?

Then they could just strip the social side of the account down to nothing and it'd be indistinguishable from a normal Oculus account in terms of information Facebook has to sell.

30 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

20 minutes ago, Rev said:

Then they could just strip the social side of the account down to nothing and it'd be indistinguishable from a normal Oculus account in terms of information Facebook has to sell.

Okay, but as Keyser suggested I'm in a situation where I signed up for it back in 2006 but when it was still only accessible to people with .edu email address, and at this point don't want to strip it because I have connections I'd probably lose without Facebook, but also dislike Facebook as a company and so try to avoid feeding Facebook more data than necessary, and also just don't want problems with an Oculus account and problems with a Facebook account affecting the other account. I wouldn't want to get banned from Facebook because of something dumb with my Oculus activity, and it'd be super lame to have a possibility of a problem with my Facebook account locking me out of my Oculus hardware and paid software.

43 minutes ago, Jason said:

Okay, but as Keyser suggested I'm in a situation where I signed up for it back in 2006 but when it was still only accessible to people with .edu email address, and at this point don't want to strip it because I have connections I'd probably lose without Facebook, but also dislike Facebook as a company and so try to avoid feeding Facebook more data than necessary, and also just don't want problems with an Oculus account and problems with a Facebook account affecting the other account. I wouldn't want to get banned from Facebook because of something dumb with my Oculus activity, and it'd be super lame to have a possibility of a problem with my Facebook account locking me out of my Oculus hardware and paid software.

My posts weren't about you specifically. I don't know all the details about your exact situation.