Immortals Fenyx Rising - Information Thread, update: "The Lots Gods" DLC trailer, features new "top-down" perspective

Pikachu

Immortals Fenyx Rising™ brings grand mythological adventure to life. Play as Fenyx, a new winged demigod on a quest to save the Greek gods and their home from a dark curse. Take on mythological beasts, master the legendary powers of the gods and defeat Typhon, the deadliest Titan in Greek mythology, in an epic fight for the ages.  

The fate of the world is at stake – you are the gods’ last hope.

Take a deeper look inside Immortals Fenyx Rising, a new open-world action-adventure game inspired by Greek mythology. Play as Fenyx, a new winged demigod on a quest to save the Greek gods and their home from a dark curse. With the help of reclaimed legendary artifacts, Fenyx will take on mythological beasts, solve puzzles, and master the legendary powers of the gods to defeat Typhon, the deadliest Titan in Greek mythology, in an epic fight for the ages. Immortals Fenyx Rising, on sale December 3, 2020.

Watched the demo.   Yup, this is by far the most egregious BoTW clone out there.

- Seek out underground rifts, which lead to blue-tinted puzzle room challenges.  Collect the glowing orb at the end for a stamina upgrade.
- Glide with your wings using stamina.  But feel free to use a stamina potion to glide for longer.
- Cyclopses throws boulders at you.  Minotaurs go on all fours and rush you.
- Slow down time with perfect dodges to wail on enemies for a few seconds.

- Dispose of the calamity corruption.
- Use telkenesis bracers to pull objects through the air.
- Steampunk robots with laser beams guarding things.
- Use farsight to mark things on your map to explore.  (...this is a Ubisoft game, the icons are already presented to you)
- We heard you like horses in games like this, so we put one in.
- Light the forge of a god's region to free them and gain their assistance in the final battle.

e1j3h.jpg
typhonsragejijnp.jpg

For things less on the nose, I'm interested in the combat being a bit more fleshed out, the jump being a bit higher (for more platforming), and hopefully a bit more enviornmental puzzles in the open world.  But I also see that Ubisoft is going to Ubisoft those with icons and signaling.

Overall, it looks much better than the leak.  But man, they dodged a bullet in this being ready before BoTW2.  Because the pitch for this must have been doing BoTW Ubi-style.

Ubi exec: "How will we sell this next to BotW?"

Ubi dev: "In a few months, we'll put it on SALE!"

:megaton:

It's gonna be the poor man's Breath of the Wild. Literally... it'll be on sale for $30 by February and BotW will still be sixty bucks. I sold my BotW on Wii U with the intention of getting it on Switch but since N doesn't really give a shit about their consumers and refuses even a temporary price drop, I still have yet to buy it again.

Breath of the Wild with active abilities? Count me in. The combat kind of sucked ass in BotW, it was very basic and hampered by an inventory full of weapons that broke too fast and broke up the flow of combat too much. A potentially good idea squandered by awful UI and clear lack of leadership to cement a vision.

I didn't watch too much of this, but I hope it has a lot of world interaction like BotW. That's the kind of stuff I want the most, gimme that and good combat and I don't care if it's a clone or not.

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a very Ubisoft take on Zelda: Breath of the Wild (PC Gamer)

Videogames are even more incestuous than Greek gods. Ideas are constantly being borrowed and stolen, remixed and reused from one game to another, usually iterative rather than revolutionary. Immortals Fenyx Rising is the first game I've played that borrows from 2017's The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and it borrows heavily. Then it adds in more objectives, more quest markers, more RPG-lite skill trees and equipment upgrades, and a lot more combat, burying Zelda's open world template under a mountain of stuff to do.

Basically, it's a Ubisoft game. But at least it's a pretty cute one.

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a Colorful Throwback to Classic 3D Platformers (USgamer)

This is a very different game than what I'd normally expect from Ubisoft; if you told me that Nintendo asked them to make a new Kid Icarus and this was the result, I wouldn't be surprised. But I had fun floating around the Forgelands, and amid the puzzles there are hints of other systems in Immortals, like taming horses to summon, crafting potions, and even epic-level world bosses. Immortals feels like a smaller, more focused throwback to an era that gaming left behind, and I'm glad to see Ubisoft returning to that era like Activision and Insomniac. Not everything needs to be a service game, full of microtransactions and systems that force you to play forever. I'm looking forward to a good 15-30 hours of mythical Greek adventure, so hopefully Immortal Fenyx Rising's final release delivers on that promise. 

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a messy mash-up of the best Nintendo and Ubisoft games this generation (Eurogamer)

If you've played Assassin's Creed Odyssey you'll immediately be familiar with how Fenyx will grow in strength throughout the game, via the addition of powers you can learn and equip from a skill tree. Some are nearly identical, such as the ability to control arrows in-flight, or to charge into a group of enemies to send them scattering. Melee combat is familiar too, with sword and axe gear slots replacing Odyssey's light and heavy attacks. Other slots are taken up by your armour set, helmet, phoenix and mount, all of which come imbued with perks. There are no numbers visible, but items can be upgraded in power. And, again like Odyssey, there's a well-timed dodge mechanic to avoid damage rather than physical shields.

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Breath of the Wild with active abilities? Count me in. The combat kind of sucked ass in BotW, it was very basic and hampered by an inventory full of weapons that broke too fast and broke up the flow of combat too much. A potentially good idea squandered by awful UI and clear lack of leadership to cement a vision.

I didn't watch too much of this, but I hope it has a lot of world interaction like BotW. That's the kind of stuff I want the most, gimme that and good combat and I don't care if it's a clone or not.

There’s no breakable weapons.  But the world design seems like it’s trying to replace korok seeds with a trope selection of slightly longer puzzle types and challenges.

Korok seeds were one of the worst aspects of of BoTW IMO.  So this could either go very well or very wrong.  There doesn’t seem to be the same focus on interactive systems either, but we shall see.

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Exactly this. I never understand the “iT lOoKs JuSt LiKe ThIs OtHeR gAmE” crowd. Who gives a shit? Tomb Raider is a lot like Uncharted, except Tomb Raider is better in every single way. If this is like BotW only they improved upon the formula and added a few of their own touches? Then count me 100% the fuck in. Give me as many BoTW but better clones as you possibly can. 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Exactly this. I never understand the “iT lOoKs JuSt LiKe ThIs OtHeR gAmE” crowd. Who gives a shit? Tomb Raider is a lot like Uncharted, except Tomb Raider is better in every single way. If this is like BotW only they improved upon the formula and added a few of their own touches? Then count me 100% the fuck in. Give me as many BoTW but better clones as you possibly can. 

I'm still much more interested to play this than most other games being released this year.  I normally defend games like this, and will do it here if it emphasizes the right changes.

But that's what I'm most concerned about.  There seems to be less focus on dynamic systems, physics and self-discovery, more emphasis on skill trees, upgrades and objective markers.  The worst parts of the pitch for this game are to pull the BoTW formula toward something more conventionally Ubisoft.

I hope they show a good deal of restraint in that.  If they don't, I couldn't imagine it being "better in every single way."

• 1 month later...

I played a little bit.  It's alright.  I hate the jumping and double jumping as much as I thought I would.  But the boosting around feels fun, and they're very generous with the stamina meter.  Combat is surprisingly fun, I like what they're going for.  It's the least janky feeling part of it.

Stadia lag is Stadia lag.  It worked better in the AC Odyssey demo where it wasn't as fast paced.

• 1 month later...

Anyone else try out the free Stadia demo of Fenyx Rising? I played it yesterday. I love the humor of Zeus and Prometheus as the narrators. The combat feels simple but very solid. And the world seems like a lot of fun to explore. I'm looking forward to release.

Review embargo went up today.