Immortals Fenyx Rising - Information Thread, update: "The Lots Gods" DLC trailer, features new "top-down" perspective

Pikachu

Reviews seem to suggest it hasn't captured what made BoTW special.  Mainly that the world is much more 'designed' feeling than organic.  I'm not against if it's done well (ie: Link's Awakening, Skyward Sword).  But in a modern open world context... I'm curious.  Some reviewers also love the puzzles, others hate them.

I'd like to pick it up still, but on sale.  Hearing that it's somewhat demanding on PC and bad on Switch is also kind of a bummer.

Game Information

Game Title: Immortals Fenyx Rising

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Dec 3, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Dec 3, 2020)
  • Nintendo Switch (Dec 3, 2020)
  • Google Stadia (Dec 3, 2020)
  • PC (Dec 3, 2020)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Dec 3, 2020)
  • PlayStation 5 (Dec 3, 2020)

Developer: Ubisoft Quebec

Publisher: Ubisoft

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 80 average - 79% recommended

Critic Reviews

But Why Tho? - 10 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a visually stunning, heartfelt, and welcoming game for everyone and easily lands the honor of being my game of the year.

Leadergamer - Turkish - 5 / 5 stars

A lot better than what we expected.

DASHGAMER.com - 9.5 / 10

For Mythology’s legacy to be cemented, and for an impending doom to be put to rest, Immortals Fenyx Rising outperforms and outclasses many action-adventure titles released this year. With that said, Immortals Fenyx Rising is an essential for all gamers, especially those whom have brandished themselves with brand new hardware. A Game of the Year contender.

Vamers - 95 / 100

Immortals Fenyx Rising is an incredible title. While the aesthetic might not be for everyone and its open-world nature will eventually become repetitive, the game is so chock-full of optional content and beautiful vistas that this eventuality will take a long time to reach. The story is wonderfully narrated and crafted to work incredibly well with the graphical design of the game too. Better still, the humorous approach to ancient Greek mythology alongside the bold and colourful aesthetic; all wonderfully complement each other in ways that only Legend of Zelda games have been capable of in the past. It is rare for any company, let alone Ubisoft, to bring out a brand-new Intellectual Property and for it to reign supreme right from the start. However, Immortal Fenyx Rising certainly manages this seemingly impossible feat with aplomb. Fenyx is a relatable character, and the incredible narration between Zeus and Prometheus are wonderfully nostalgic for any lover of Saturday Morning Cartoons. The gameplay constantly makes players want to come back for more, with countless secrets, puzzles and story elements to keep players engaged for hours and hours of enjoyment. Immortals Fenyx Rising is very near perfect, and ticks all the right boxes for a game that is gorgeous, enjoyable, addictive and highly entertaining.

ZTGD - 9.5 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is by far one of the best surprises of 2020. It shot directly up to the top of my best games of the year. I cannot express how much fun I had with this game. I kept coming back to it with tons of other titles calling for my attention. It is the best game Ubisoft has dropped this year and the promise of more DLC has me dreaming of returning to the world. With back to back excellent outings the AC Odyssey team continues to impress me. I cannot wait to see what they do after they wrap up the DLC for this game. Do not sleep on this title, it is one of the best of the year by a longshot.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 91 / 100

Fenyx Rising is a great adventure. An organic open world, full of surprises, with brilliant puzzles and combat mechanics, set in greek mythology. It is not Breath of the Wild, but it is close enough in may (good) things.

Marooners' Rock - 9.1 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising provides a one-of-a-kind experience in both the Greek Mythology and Action-Adventure behind the game. If you’re looking for a unique game where you’ll be spending hours diving into Greek Mythology, Immortals Fenyx Rising is the perfect fit.

PowerUp! - 9.1 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is the most successful Zelda-like since Darksiders. It uses Breath of the Wild as a base and delivers a colourful, vibrant world to discover.

Checkpoint Gaming - 9 / 10

It’s genuinely thrilling to see a game like Immortals Fenyx Rising, which has taken the often discussed and sometimes criticised Ubisoft open world, and taken full advantage of it, with a light-hearted tone and so much charisma from its cast and script that it’s impossible not to crack a smile when playing.

Critical Hit - 9 / 10

A consistently compelling progression curve, gorgeous world, and a staggering amount of fun content makes Immortals Fenyx Rising a truly fantastic game, even if it is rather derivative at times.

Daily Star - 4.5 / 5 stars

But overall, this is a fantastic new IP for Ubisoft and they should be commended for allowing this development team to pursue an idea that sprung out of the Assassin’s Creed development.

Digital Chumps - 9 / 10

Though Immortals Fenyx Rising may borrow familiar elements from other series, this new IP from Ubisoft establishes a unique identity through the lens of Greek mythology by using humor, intelligent puzzles, powerful combat, and clever world building.

Game Informer - 9 / 10

Rewarding exploration, satisfying combat, and imaginative puzzles converge with endearing storytelling and well-executed humor to provide an excellent open-world experience

Gaming on PC - 9 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a surprisingly refreshing open world adventure that is not only extremely fun to play, but also very respectful of the player’s time.

GamingTrend - 90 / 100

Immortals: Fenyx Rising is an excellent new adventure title for Ubisoft, full to bursting with genuine comedy, excellent gameplay, and devious puzzles. While there are a few technical hiccups, underutilized DualSense, and sub-30 fps Switch ports, the game is fantastic on all platforms. Come for the bizarre Greek mythology, stay for the stellar gameplay -- Immortals: Fenyx Rising is a fantastic holiday treat.

Generación Xbox - Spanish - 9 / 10

Immortals: Fenyx Rising is a breath of fresh air. It is a game that stands out from its competitors and becomes a must for the generation.

Glitched Africa - 9 / 10

I hope everyone gets a chance to play Immortals: Fenyx Rising because there is a lot of fun to be had here. I found its world more interesting than Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla to the point where I actually wanted to go places and solve every single puzzle. Its combat is addictive and its character build system means you can approach it from so many ways. All this combines to deliver a fantastic adventure worth your time. Don’t let this game pass you by.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is an excellent adventure with challenging and intricate puzzles, a wonderful combat system, and a rich world ripe for exploring. The dialogue is funny, poignant, and thrilling, with a story that explores every facet of the human condition in a way that is relatable for everyone.

Hardcore Gamer - 4.5 / 5

Immortals: Fenyx Rising doesn't have any right to be as good as it turned out to be.

Nintendo Wire - 9 / 10

Immortals: Fenyx Rising truly took me by surprise.

PC Invasion - 9 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is an excellent game filled with satisfying activities, wonderful movement, and action-packed combat. There's a significant amount of content here and it completely dodges the copy-pasted nature of Odyssey, making for an open world worth exploring.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 90 / 100

Immortals Fenyx Rising may not be the most original game in the universe, but it manages to appropriate many of the best game features that have inspired it to create something new, fun and captivating. By offering a great balance between combat, puzzles and exploration, as well as a well-resolved artistic style, it proves to be one of the best surprises of the year.

Pixel Arts - Persian - 9 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a title that sits somewhere between the legend of Zelda and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The reason for comparing it to a title like Zelda is often summed up in artistic graphics, a similar endurance system, and the use of puzzles. But Immortals Fenyx Rising is more than just a clone, and we see one of Ubisoft's most well-made games in this generation.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 9 / 10

Overall, Immortals Fenyx Rising is a surprising break from the traditional Ubisoft open-world fare, perhaps hinting at some newfound creative freedoms that we'll hopefully see play out in the future. Cribbing Breath of the Wild is a strength even as Immortals iterates and takes its own twist. And the deep dive into Greek mythology ends up being a fascinating foundation upon whose shoulders the entire premise rests. From the first magnificent glide onto the Golden Isle, Immortals Fenyx Rising is an unforgettable treat that surprised me more than I thought it would.

Press Start - 9 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is an epic adventure that perfectly leverages the rich, storied history of Greek mythology with a focused and honed version of Ubisoft's now-ubiquitous open-world design. Deviating from the norm, the game's unique design and structure help Immortals be one of Ubisoft's most focused adventures and easily one of their most enjoyable yet.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 9 / 10

A game that amazed me with the beauty of the open world, a world that makes you thirsty all the time to explore more and more to see the changing regions and the huge statues that are distinctive signs that make you feel the beauty of the world, despite the long boring story dialogue and damp squib jokes, I enjoyed every minute I spent with every mystery, fight, ruins, and Rift I searched for something new.

The Escapist - 4.5 / 5 stars

Immortals Fenyx Rising from Ubisoft Quebec is a great start to a new franchise. It owes a lot to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

WellPlayed - 9 / 10

Immortals is more than just a fun open-world with slick combat and massive Breath of the Wild vibes, it's also a superbly written and legitimately funny take on Greek mythology. This is one of Ubisoft's best games in years

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5 stars

Ubisoft created an instant classic with Immortals Fenyx Rising, and I'm eager to see where the franchise goes from here. Its breathtaking art style and landscapes are complemented by fun combat and thoughtful puzzles. While the story itself isn't anything special, the humor imbued within each conversation makes it memorable.

SomosXbox - Spanish - 8.9 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is capable of taking as a reference one of the exponents of its genre and offering a result that exudes personality, with a very complete and fun gameplay, rounded off with its fun sense of humor.

COGconnected - 87 / 100

At first glance, it may seem like Immortals is a mish-mash of several games that came before but it’s from the ashes of these that Fenyx Rises. Oozing with charm, you’ll fall in love with the characterization and delivery of the narrative and want to explore every nook and cranny of the rich and diverse Grecian world.

GamePro - German - 87 / 100

Enthralling and addictive Open World-Adventure, which can set its own course despite obvious role models.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.7 / 10

It is undeniable that Immortals: Fenyx Rising owes much to Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but it is equally undeniable that the Ubisoft game manages to find its way and to propose its own vision. Those who do not appreciate open-worlds very much, where the fulcrum is the collection of treasures and the completion of challenges, could perceive more than others a sense of repetitiveness, which never becomes boring and which takes advantage of a clean technical realization. I enjoyed every minute spent on the Golden Island and at the end I was sad to say goodbye.

AusGamers - 8.6 / 10

And an adventure starring a mortal out of their depth in the land of gods and monsters and thick Greek accents.

GAMES.CH - German - 86 / 100

Whether it's the underground puzzle dungeons, constant stamina management or dizzying climbing passages - Ubisoft Quebec took many inspirations from "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wild". But, viewed as a whole "Immortals: Fenyx Rising" still manages to do it's own thing. The extremely agile Fenyx is a loveable protagonist right from the start and also the narrator duo provides a lot of fun. The same goes for the many challenging fights. If you liked "Breath of Wild" or if you want to experience something similar on other systems, you will quickly fall in love with this new IP.

Just Push Start - 4.3 / 5

Overall, Immortals Fenyx Rising is a fantastic game and one of the better open-world exploration titles in recent memory. Combat is great, puzzles are fun and there is so much to see and experience that it's easy to get sidetracked. It would be nice if some of the puzzles were a bit less tedious, but I can hardly fault them for trying to offer a more engaging experience. So if you want a lovely world to explore, look no further than Immortals Fenyx Rising.

Areajugones - Spanish - 8.5 / 10

This charming mythological tale excels in its action, puzzle solving, characters dialogue and virtually every aspect it deals with, making it one of the best games created by Ubisoft in years.

Atomix - Spanish - 85 / 100

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a great game that manages to stand out for its entertaining world full of things to explore and a fun story.

SomHráč.sk - Czech - 85 / 100

In the end, Immortals Fenyx Rising isn't just another The Legend of Zelda clone, but a surprisingly fun adventure full of humor.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Immortals: Fenyx Rising is much more than a simple Zelda: Breath of the Wild clone. Ubisoft's open-world epic adventure delivers a compelling and fun game that we hope will become a new, successful franchise.

WayTooManyGames - 8.5 / 10

I’m still impressed with Immortals Fenyx Rising, despite its fair share of issues. Ubisoft managed to craft its own homage to Breath of the Wild, with enough unique elements to make it stand out as its own thing. It’s vivid, colorful, full of puzzles to solve, with great combat and a surprisingly hilarious script.

Xbox Achievements - 85 / 100

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a strange beast, then. Much of it feels very familiar, and you won’t find many things here that haven’t been done before. Yet, it manages to pull together so many different aspects with such proficiency and love for the source material that it’s impossible not to simply enjoy soaking it all up, in an adventure worthy of the Greek heroes of old.

Bazimag - Persian - 8.4 / 10

The vast number of places Immortals Fenyx Rising were taking its core ideas from, should have made it an unimaginative title but in action, it is a very good and welcoming surprise. From its revisionist take on Greek mythology to the very intricate puzzles with many, many moving parts, this is one the most fun open world games in recent years.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 8.3 / 10

And here we come to exodus, the final part of the comedies. Immortals: Fenyx Rising is a game capable of giving much more than a surprise. Despite the obvious limitations imposed by its undoubtedly derivative nature, devoid of great originality and great qualitative ambitions, the final product works and entertains with an excellent balance between density and vastness.

Gamefa - Persian - 8.2 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is one of the most enjoyable experiences of this year. Inspired by Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Ubisoft's latest launch is a successful game. Immortals Fenyx Rising has some technical issues but in overall, it's a game that any gamer can enjoy it with any taste.

3DNews - Russian - 8 / 10

A fun trip to an island full of great puzzles and funny gods. Not a new Zelda game, of course, but it's a fine effort to make something similar.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

Ubisoft has a knack for creating beautiful, expansive open worlds, but none of them are as compelling to explore as Immortals Fenyx Rising. It's a sprawling, colorful playground with plenty of nooks and crannies to get lost in.

BaziCenter - Persian - 8 / 10

Although Immortals Fenyx Rising seems like a Breath of the Wild clone, it's done so well that gives you a great time, and even fill the gap for those who doesn't own a Nintendo Switch and can't play the Zelda series.

Digital Trends - 4 / 5 stars

Immortals Fenyx Rising merges the best and worst of Ubisoft games with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Easy Allies - 8 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising delivers a stylized open world odyssey that revels in its mythology.

Game Rant - 4 / 5 stars

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a satirical take on Greek mythology that features a gripping story mixed with familiar gameplay features.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

It may look like a Breath of the Wild clone, but Immortals Fenyx Rising has a lot of unique charm that makes it a must-play for fans of the genre.

GameSpew - 8 / 10

It’s likely that those who take a chance on Immortals Fenyx Rising will be pleasantly surprised, especially once they’ve got past its opening handful of hours and developed their character a little. While it may seem a little basic at first, and players may wander into encounters that they’re really not prepared for, it soon settles down into a hugely enjoyable historical romp that is suitable for all ages and skill levels. The cutesy art style is just the icing on the cake, drawing you into a world that is charming and vibrant. With its clear Breath of the Wild inspirations, Ubisoft’s Immortals Fenyx Rising might just be the surprise hit of the year.

GameZone - 8 / 10

Ultimately, Immortals Fenyx Rising is a delight to play. Its focus on being a lighthearted take on Greek mythology is appreciated, especially since Ubisoft has mostly reserved its open world formula games for franchises that take themselves a bit too seriously. While the comedic tone and constant banter between all the characters won't strike a chord with everyone, it's certainly bound to make someone smile, and even chuckle at its most cringiest writing.

The Breath of the Wild formula hasn't really been done to this sort of extent and despite Ubisoft certainly borrowing a slew of elements from Nintendo's flagship game, they still managed to craft a game that's undeniably their own, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Gamerheadquarters - 8 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a great experience, though a tad repetitive and a bit of a grind at times as well. I might sound negative in what I’m describing, but this is a very full and enchanting time.

Gamerweb.pl - Polish - 8 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is definitively the best Ubisoft game released in 2020. Blending of the Ubi sandbox formula with elements from Breaths of the Wild creates something greater than sum of it parts. The story and characters are charming and funny, gameplay is engaging and not stale thanks to some smart puzzles and cool platforming sections. Overall it is a step in the right direction for the Ubisoft games and I hope decisions made here will be carried forward to improve other sandbox titles from the publisher.

GamesBeat - 4 / 5 stars

Immortals is not a masterpiece like the game that it takes so much inspiration from, but it is ambitious and impressive in its own right. It feels good to play, and it gives you a lot to play with. It won’t be the unforgettable adventure that Breath of the Wild is so for so many, but Immortals still offers a journey worth taking.

IGN Middle East - Arabic - 8 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is so far the best Implementation of Ubisoft formula of developing games, we got here a lot of great creative puzzles with many fun things to do in its modest world, the combat is good as well and lights up during boss fights, and the story is not that great but written in a beautiful way to make it purely comical

Kakuchopurei - 80 / 100

Immortals: Fenyx Rising is not going to win any awards for originality. But it is charming most of the time, features a lush Greek god island to explore that’s filled with secrets and discoverables, and contains a ton of brain-teasers mixed in with some light-yet-hearty combat.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

It's hard to know which is more impressive here, the complete lack of shame in how much Ubisoft copies Zelda: Breath Of The Wild or the fact that Immortals suffers the comparison so impressively well.

Nexus Hub - 8 / 10

Ubisoft Quebec has lovingly crafted a game I can finally be excited about as much as the Assassin's Creed folk. If Immortals Fenyx Rising is to become a franchise for Ubisoft, they can take it in any direction with a vast amount of mythologies to explore.

PPE.pl - Polish - 8 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a game for everyone, whether younger or older players. If you like beautiful worlds, pleasant gameplay, and what's more, you are interested in Greek mythology, it is worth getting acquainted with the latest Ubisoft title.

PlayStation Universe - 8 / 10

With Immortals: Fenyx Rising, Ubisoft has created a refreshingly compact throwback open-world adventure that can be forgiven for its aggressive repurposing of other games best bits because it shapes them to fits its own style. The exploration is brisk and eventful, the puzzles are varied, with the right level of challenge and simplicity, and the approach to storytelling ultimately pays off. The DualSense features are a bit hit and miss, and it's not exactly the best advert for the power of PS5, but much like the game it cribs from, Immortals' qualities outshine any need for major technical showcases.

Post Arcade (National Post) - 8 / 10

Ubisoft Quebec's new open world adventure feels like the secret lovechild of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Pure Xbox - 8 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising undoubtedly owes a huge debt to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, borrowing wholesale as it does from its core gameplay mechanics and narrative structure. However, what Ubisoft Quebec has come up with here also adds enough of its own spin on proceedings, with a strong personality and sense of humour sat alongside some brilliantly designed puzzles, flashy, satisfying combat and a huge world full of secrets, treasures and Ancient Greek mythology to discover. It may falter slightly in the final stretch by wrestling away player freedom and funnelling you through its overly long endgame, but this is still a hugely entertaining, technically impressive Ancient Greek romp that's well worth experiencing.

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 8 / 10

Entertaining adventure with Greek gods and mythology. Surprisingly good new brand from Ubisoft.

Saving Content - 4 / 5 stars

I can’t say for sure whether Immortals Fenyx Rising is for you. The systems in this game are absolutely not super in-depth; they are streamlined, easy to understand versions of systems you see in other games, and this is true of character progression, combat, and practically everything else. They are designed to get to the point and let you get on with your game. It’s not overly involved because it doesn’t need to be, and there are plenty of games out there that do get incredibly deep if you want those kinds of experiences. Immortals Fenyx Rising isn’t the perfect antidote to open world fatigue, but it is a damn good first volley at trimming off the extra checklists for the sake of checklists, and giving players a more focused experience that they can dial up or down to suit their tastes. As a bonus, it’s wrapped in a gorgeous looking package with some clever writing and a story that may not be ultra compelling but is fun to enjoy nonetheless. It’s the perfect open world game for somebody who loves Greek mythology, for somebody who wants to have more control over their experience, who wants to be able to kick back and explore without pressure, or who wants to dig into a big game they can actually finish. For me, it’s a fantastic way to revisit a style of game I’d given up on and focus on just having fun with it, which is worth the price of admission for me alone, and I can confidently say that between the three big Ubisoft releases this season, Immortals Fenyx Rising is the game I’ll be choosing to spend my time with.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

Ubisoft Quebec aimed high with Immortals Fenyx Rising, crafting a new hero, an epic tale filled with larger-the-life gods and terrifying monsters, and a giant island playground. It's an exciting story filled with memorable characters, even if some of the twists near the end are a bit hard to swallow. It doesn't quite pack the same punch as the studio's previous effort, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, if only because there aren't as many NPCs or other characters to play off of. For what it is, though, Immortals is a fun island getaway with simple-to-grasp combat and a lot of well thought-out puzzles. The Immortals legend isn't fully realized yet, but this is at least a good start.

Skewed & Reviewed - 4 / 5 stars

The game is a fun and immersive adventure which will provide gamers with plenty of hours of enjoyment.

TheGamer - 4 / 5 stars

From stoner oracles to gods who have been turned into trees, to the sheer batshittiness of its entire cast of gods and monsters, Immortals Fenyx Rising is a genuine joy to play, and a real treat for Greek mythology lovers.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

Putting the obvious parallels to one side, Immortals Fenyx Rising is a thoroughly enjoyable game. The main character is very likeable, and the humour between the characters is great, while the Golden Isle looks fantastic and is filled with content without also feeling overwhelming. It takes a while for the combat to grow, and the end portion of the game drags on, but if you want a fun and compact open world game then Immortals Fenyx Rising is well worth playing.

TrueAchievements - 4 / 5 stars

Questionable writing aside, Immortals Fenyx Rising represents a strong start for Ubisoft's new IP. There's plenty more that could be done with the archives of Greek mythology left relatively untouched here — some of which will no doubt be covered in upcoming DLC — but the same format could easily be applied to other pantheons, just as Assassin's Creed uses different iconic time periods as its backdrop each instalment. Mechanics are fast, fluid, and flexible, while visuals are crisp, clean, and colourful, even if the art style might not be to everyone's tastes.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a fantastic mix of fun adventures and comical storytelling. The ideas are borrowed from other games, but they are well implemented.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

Immortals: Fenyx Rising has the potential to be yet another engaging open-world affair from Ubisoft, and it makes up for its lack of originality with engaging combat, satisfying exploration and a playful spin on Greek mythology.

VG247 - 4 / 5 stars

As far as next-gen titles go, Immortals Fenyx Rising is definitely one you should be adding to your list. It’s available on almost every platform – sorry, mobile gamers – and looks fantastic on the Xbox Series X, which I got to review it on. Overall, it’s a charming, cerebral and funny time-sink adventure that’ll really cheer you up and distract you if you’re having a quiet festive season this year.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Despite a huge lack of innovation, bearing more than a passing resemblance to Zelda: Breath of the Wild's central mechanics, Immortals: Fenyx Rising is a great open-world game featuring a light-hearted, humorous tone, great combat, tons of content, and a well-designed main quest. It's also reminiscent, in a good way, of 3D puzzle games from the PlayStation 2 and GameCube era. Sure, the game does suffer a bit from the usual Ubisoft open-world design bloat, but do not let this put you off: Fenyx's journey to save the Greek Gods and restore the world to its former beauty is one worth experiencing.

Zoomg - Persian - 8 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising, Ubisoft's latest AAA title of year 2020 is a great one. Combination of a lovely story, addictive gameplay and breathtaking Sound/visual design, makes it so much fun. Even though the game suffers from some creative freedom and technical issues, but playing it still is so much fun and skipping it, won't be a big deal for sure.

Gamersky - Chinese - 7.9 / 10

Ubisoft has made another bold yet cautious attempt through Immortals Fenyx Rising. It combines the classic Ubisoft mission design with some oustanding ideas from other open-world games. Ones can never stop noticing some familiar elements within, but Immortals Fenyx Rising can do way more better than being a copy cat.

DualShockers - 7.5 / 10

A vibrant, busy world means there's plenty of exploration in Immortals Fenyx Rising. It draws inspiration from some fantastic titles, however, at times struggles to really differentiate itself from those that have come before it.

Gamers Heroes - 75 / 100

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a charming and fun adventure into Greek mythology with Ubisoft's trademark core design elements thrown in to support the experience. It is a worthwhile adventure for those looking to scratch that Breath of the Wild itch, but one that experienced Ubisoft fans may feel is a little too familiar.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 7.5 / 10

A very fun open world with a lot of puzzles. It takes many references of Breath of the Wild but not enough to find an original place between that title and another traditional open worlds.

Stevivor - 7.5 / 10

Though it liberally borrows from Breath of the Wild, Immortals Fenyx Rising is fresh and fun, offering up an exciting new IP I hope to see more of. That said, its endgame pacing issues certainly don’t do it any favours, nor does the timing of its release.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.3 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising has clear sources of 'inspiration' but also has a generally well crafted puzzle component that allows it to self itself apart from previous Ubisoft open world games.

PC Gamer - 72 / 100

This is a fun, vibrant open world game with a great sense of humour. I just wish it felt nicer to play.

Cerealkillerz - German - 7 / 10

If you are a fan of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, you like riddles and don't really care about a good story and characters, you will like what the game has to offer. It's a colourful, amusing world with a lot of riddles and interesting fights packed in a comic version of greek mythology, with everything that ubisofts open worlds had to offer lately. Everyone else should wait for a sale.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

I was skeptical of Immortals Fenyx Rising after trying the demo, but it comes together with more context. It might be sloppy sometimes, even in regards to the conversation of open world adventures, but it offers up a lot of fast-paced arcade fun. I'd definitely be interested in a true current-gen sequel with a clear vision that shores up some of its bigger issues.

Filmweb - Polish - 7 / 10 stars

This tale about gods and monsters is a perfect example of telling Greek mythology in a right way. Such a shame that there’s to many frustrating puzzles and not enough side quest to begin with.

GameMAG - Russian - 7 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising feels like a game full of contrasts, but nonetheless it's still manages to be the most noteworthy Ubisoft release in quite some time. The lack of a budget and obviously tight production time, on top of a really big scale this game has, stopped this project from achieving its full potential. And yet, when it's still long ways to go before Breath of the Wild 2, Fenyx Rising will surely find it's playerbase.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

It mostly relies on borrowed ideas, but when its snarky tone isn't getting in the way, Immortals Fenyx Rising is a solid open-world adventure.

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a nice adventure at the crossroads of Nintendo's Breath of the Wild and the Assassin's Creed saga. By using elements form both series, Ubsioft delivers a colorful and diversed experience, which still suffers from some inaccuracies, within the many fights of puzzles scattered all around the world. Too bad the Switch version do not offers the same visual confort as the other ones.

GamingBolt - 7 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising is a decent – if flawed – debut for Ubisoft's newest IP. It's much more condensed and tightly packed than the publisher's games have been over the last decade, its world is beautiful, and exploration and traversal, in spite of some issues, are largely fun. At the same time, it also feels like a stripped back version of the games it tries to emulate, and with its technical issues, it unfortunately keeps getting in its own way.

IGN - 7 / 10

With a gorgeous mythological world to fight through and explore, it's a shame Immortals Fenyx Rising's puzzles are so unremarkable.

PCGamesN - 7 / 10

While Ubisoft doesn't always strike the balance between Greek history and humour, Immortals Fenyx's Rising's open-world is a constant delight

Push Square - 7 / 10

While Immortals Fenyx Rising may not have too many ideas to call its own, Ubisoft has created a successful amalgamation worth checking out. Simplistic but enjoyable combat provides the basis for a stunning world full of explorative opportunities and a humorous narrative that'll have you chuckling once or twice. Just don't let anyone know what the cause was. Puzzles are definitely a source of frustration, but if you can look past them, Immortals Fenyx Rising provides a formulaic but entertaining experience.

Rocket Chainsaw - 3.5 / 5 stars

Overall, Immortals Fenyx Rising is a fun, yet unexceptional experience.

TechRaptor - 7 / 10

Immortals: Fenyx Rising is a vast and entertaining adventure with excellent gameplay. Unfortunately, the storyline and quest system are weak and the game feels rushed. It's a fun game but one that lives in Breath of the Wild's shadow.

EGM - 6 / 10

If it came out a few months ago or a few months later, Immortals Fenyx Rising might have stood out more. But the problem is that it's coming after a gauntlet of better Ubisoft products without doing much to improve upon the formula. Sometimes, it actively works against itself in what it's decided to steal from Breath of the Wild, too. However, its surprisingly engaging story and a late-game trek up a mountain save it from being entirely lost to history.

Gadgets 360 - 6 / 10

For all the deserved flak coming Immortals Fenyx Rising's way for delivering a brazen Zelda clone, the Ubisoft game deserves some praise for executing most of the ideas well — and even adding to them.

Game Revolution - 3 / 5 stars

It is not an unforgivable sin that Immortals Fenyx Rising does not live up to Breath of the Wild, a tall task that its upcoming sequel might not even be capable of doing. But it is quite disappointing that it only plays dress up with the hero’s tunic and misses what that green garment stands for. Puzzles sometimes have inventive solutions yet the good ones are drowned out by how often they repeat and how few tools Fenyx has. And the game’s colorful world isn’t a sandbox that needs exploring, but is more akin to a typical open-world map littered with repeatable, obviously marked activities. These shortcomings make it less of Ubisoft’s take on Breath of the Wild and more of a Ubisoft-branded “Breath of the Mild” that could have been so much more.

Guardian - 3 / 5 stars

Ubisoft's derivative gods and monsters game has divine charm, but starts to feel like a golden cage

Impulsegamer - 3 / 5

That might sound a little harsh, but in all honesty I wonder who I would recommend Immortals Fenyx Rising to. If you have children or young adults around you and you'd like to connect over a game that the whole family can play, this is definitely a safe bet. If you're not put off by the narrative that I've described here, and are looking for a decent time filler to round out your year that will put you inside a nice looking world, then yeah, this could work for you. However if you don't fit into those two groups, I think your time would be best spent playing something with a little more meaning.

CGMagazine - 3 / 10

Immortals Fenyx Rising has a strong argument for being the nadir of open world action-adventure games.

ACG - Buy

"One of Ubisoft's most enjoyable games this year. Exploration is top notch!"

Console Creatures - Recommended

Immortals Fenyx Rising soars thanks to a lot of heart and humour, a world that’s full of intrigue and things to do and a combat system that allows you to adapt or adopt your own style.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

This Greek myth has a few borrowings too many.

GameByte - Unscored

Immortals Fenyx Rising feels like a wonderful fusion of Breath of the Wild and Assassin’s Creed, as well as other Ubisoft open-world games. Moving around the world is fluid and combat and exploration are very satisfying. Graphically it’s far from a powerhouse but it’s got a nice aesthetic that still makes it look good.

GameOnAUS - Recommended

The story is compelling enough to keep players engaged, the humour is well-pitched, and overall Immortals Fenyx Rising is a solid and enjoyable game for an oft-overlooked audience. While it’s not likely to top any Game Of The Year lists, it doesn’t have to, and as a gaming parent I’m glad to see age-appropriate adventures making an appearance for younger gamers to enjoy too.

GameXplain - Hated

Video Review - Quote not available

Kotaku - Unscored

Immortals impressed me. It’s an unexpected success, blending comedy and condensed open-world gameplay into one of the most entertaining games I’ve played this year. Even if the combat lacks some variety and the main quests are a bit stale, the rest of Immortals is fantastic.

Player2.net.au - A or higher

Immortals: Fenyx Rising is a wonderfully crafted epic in which Ubisoft Quebec celebrate rather than shay away from their influences to deliver humour and action in equal doses

Polygon - Unscored

Maybe open-world games don't need to boast 175 hours of playtime even while torturing developers with months of crunch. Immortals, and by extension Ubisoft, isn't immune to this problem, but there are pieces here that argue for a shift in the scope of a genre that has historically been more interested in simulating the minute details of a horse's genitalia than caring for the people who worked on them. Immortals makes an impression because it's not a massive game like Assassin's Creed Valhalla, even if it benefits from the many systems and ideas that Ubisoft's open-world games have refined over the years. Its sharpest ideas have just enough time to dig in before the game smacks you back down into an experience you could have anywhere else.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

An imaginative, fun action game that has a nice story about family and personal growth at the heart of its epic adventure, and a good sense of humour, where you turn Aphrodite from a gracious tree back into a bitchy hot girl.

Skill Up - Unscored

Immortals Fenyx Rising Is The Best Thing Ubisoft Has Put Out In 2020

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Immortals Fenyx Rising - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
30 minutes ago, stepee said:

Anyone else start this? @Xbob42 and I are both really enjoying it, that’s usually a sign something is good!

I'm about 2 hours in, it's been great so far, I just hit the title screen about 15 minutes ago, it's starting to open up a bit. 

The dialogue/story is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, it's basically like a disney/pixar movie it's not going to win any awards but it has some genuinely funny bits and so far not too much to cringe over. 

9 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

I'm about 2 hours in, it's been great so far, I just hit the title screen about 15 minutes ago, it's starting to open up a bit. 

The dialogue/story is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, it's basically like a disney/pixar movie it's not going to win any awards but it has some genuinely funny bits and so far not too much to cringe over. 

Right? I heard Jeff Gerstmann talking about it and comparing it to fucking Borderlands and was quite worried. It's perfectly fine, and I'm the one usually responding to other people saying something is perfectly fine with 8 paragraphs as to why it's not!

3 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Right? I heard Jeff Gerstmann talking about it and comparing it to fucking Borderlands and was quite worried. It's perfectly fine, and I'm the one usually responding to other people saying something is perfectly fine with 8 paragraphs as to why it's not!

Glad to hear you're all enjoying it.  That quick look on Giant Bomb admittedly turned me off to the game a bit, despite being encouraged to play the game by the various reviews.  I'll definitely be picking this one up on a future sale.  

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

This game kinda also reminds me of what I wish Kingdom Hearts were more like in some weird way, maybe I’m comparing it to the Hercules world. But I mean gameplay wise I wish it was like this but condensed disney toon worlds.

Huh. That'd be kinda neat. Outside of KH2, the combat in KH has always been rather bland. KH2 had incredible combat at the higher levels.

As for exploration, which I'm sure is what you meant, I think this would be SO much better in Kingdom Hearts than what they currently do. You condense it enough and it's just exploring a fun, visually interesting area packed with rewards and challenges that are a joy to do. Instead of, say, KH3, which despite me spending many hours in and fully completing, I can't remember how worlds progress at all. I vaguely remember lots of fights between cutscenes, but not all that much in the way of side content. Well, I know there was SOME, because I can vaguely recall Donald Duck saying some torturously slow line over and over again, I gotta find it now...

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I think you heard wrong. Jason was the one who said the HUMOR was like Borderlands and Jeff said it wasn't quite that bad. All in all it sounds like they didn't hate it but it doesn't sound like this is the game that will get me to stop playing Genshin Impact, basically the same game but free.

Played a bit of this tonight and holy shit the writing is bad and I mean really bad, it feels like they are catering to the 10-13 age group. The opening first hour is just throwing gear at you non stop which wouldnt be so bad if you are earning it but its more or less just handed to you.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think you heard wrong. Jason was the one who said the HUMOR was like Borderlands and Jeff said it wasn't quite that bad. All in all it sounds like they didn't hate it but it doesn't sound like this is the game that will get me to stop playing Genshin Impact, basically the same game but free.

Genshin Impact isn't even close to the same game, and is also nowhere near a finished game. 

This seems like a great game if you’ve managed to keep on top of every major release for the last few years as it does seem decent. For me though, there are literally tens of better games that I can play over this, that have reviewed better. Still though, glad it’s not created a trifecta of shit I thought it would with Legion and Valhalla.

30 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

This seems like a great game if you’ve managed to keep on top of every major release for the last few years as it does seem decent. For me though, there are literally tens of better games that I can play over this, that have reviewed better. Still though, glad it’s not created a trifecta of shit I thought it would with Legion and Valhalla.

Trifecta of shit? Legion was great... and aren't most people enjoying Valhalla?

I think Legion is pretty fun if not amazing, but it definitely needs a couple of performance passes before I get back into it. I'm loving the hell out of Valhalla, though. I've put this game on hold because playing both it and Valhalla confuses me as they play similar enough to where when things like having to press a different button to bring up active abilities crop up I just end up fiddling with the controls for a second or so. So I figured best get the game I'm farther in out of the way first.

One thing I did notice with Fenyx is that I figured there'd be a big skill tree like Valhalla with lots of different active abilities, but it appears (so far at least, no idea if it changes later) that you get one for each of your face buttons plus RT, and then upgrade them from there. Which seems both good and bad. Good in that I take it that means those abilities have been tailor-made for how the game is intended to be played and therefore synergize well, but bad because experimenting with (and finding) lots of abilities to find the synergy myself is both a carrot-on-the-stick I enjoy and that keeps things fresh.

Either way, I think Ubisoft is really starting to come into their own here. They've been making "pretty good" games for a long time, but to me they always felt a rung lower than other AAA titles. Not in terms of budget and often not even in terms of gameplay, but rather just my desire to play them. I'd beat most AC titles, but Watch Dogs, Far Cry, all the Tom Clancy games, I never needed to play them. Now I feel like I do! Except for Watch Dogs. Legion is neat but it's not where it needs to be and I think they're gonna need to overhaul something like they did with AC.

People are sleeping on this game, I'm just shy of 20 hours in now, this is my Game of the Year.  I think all the professional critics are on drugs, they were so offended that this game "ripped off" Breath of the Wild that they forgot to actually do their job and review the game based on its merits. The truth is it that it very obviously draws heavy inspiration from BotW but it actually does quite a few things BETTER than BotW.

I'll write up a mini-review after I beat the game but this is easily my biggest surprise and one of the best games I've played in awhile. 

19 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Trifecta of shit? Legion was great... and aren't most people enjoying Valhalla?

PS4 Legion is broken and Valhalla, from my interpretation of reviews etc was by the numbers and a bit boring. Other.s may see it differently but Ubi are just a 7/10 company for me.