The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

Mr.Vic20

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

10% - 15% faster but 40% - 50% bigger!

Well, 10-15% faster is a bit misleading because that's at 4k. 3080 also "loses" performance when at lower resolutions than 4k compared to previous cards. Compare 3080 and 3090 8k performance. We might not be the gifted people trying to game at 8k right now, but it's clear it kicks the shit out of the 3080 in that particular scenario!

8 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Well, 10-15% faster is a bit misleading because that's at 4k. 3080 also "loses" performance when at lower resolutions than 4k compared to previous cards. Compare 3080 and 3090 8k performance. We might not be the gifted people trying to game at 8k right now, but it's clear it kicks the shit out of the 3080 in that particular scenario!

The lowered performance (gap) in sub-UHD is from CPU bottlenecks. The 3090 being an “8k card” compared to the 3080 is likely more-so tied to the 24gb of VRAM vs the 10gb on the 3080 than performance simply growing at higher resolutions (since 4k is not currently CPU limited).

• Mr.Vic20 changed the title to The official RTX 3000 series launch event thread & subsequent quest to strive in vain to find one!

In reality, its likely to go down like this:

1.) 1 second after 9:00EST, nothing changes

2.) site crashes or something stops you from checking out

3.) refresh to find that site service is intermittent

4.) keep trying without luck for 10 frantic seconds

5.) out of stock

6.) site crashes again

7.) Later people say it was up for them, just not you

8.) profit 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Had one in my cart that vanished when I went to check out on Newegg 

Same here. I hadn't ordered anything off Newegg in some time. Didn't realize I would have to re-enter my already saved credit card (WTF?) and forgot they got pissy about not having a full zip code. Slowed me down a bit.