What are you currently watching?

Dodger

Right now, Quarry and Cosmos: A SpaceTime Voyage, both with the wife. Both are excellent so far. Logan Marshall-Green is a fantastic actor in Quarry, and deserves more recognition than he gets after this, Upgrade, and When They See Us. I know he looks like Tom Hardy, but he's a great actor in his own right.

On 8/2/2020 at 2:25 AM, Dodger said:

Since we all need new shit to watch. Just started In The Dark on Netflix and liking it so far. Kind of like a soft Shameless. Only 3 episodes in though.

I flew over 'In The' somehow and thought you were watching Dark and thought it was a soft Shameless...I was so baffled for a second.

I'm currently rewatching the first few seasons of New Girl in the background sort of but besides that, I haven't had the patience to really sit down and watch anything somehow. Have to get back into it.

17 hours ago, rc0101 said:

Yellowstone will be filming outside my work for a day or two so I figured I would give that show a shot. 

Created and written by by Taylor Sheridan (great writer/director) - it's on my list, and I've heard good things.

The wife and I just finished up Quarry, now moving on to The Outsider (still watching Cosmos: A SpaceTime Voyage as well).

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Created and written by by Taylor Sheridan (great writer/director) - it's on my list, and I've heard good things.

The wife and I just finished up Quarry, now moving on to The Outsider (still watching Cosmos: A SpaceTime Voyage as well).

Quarry was pretty awesome. Too bad it got canceled. 

I’m on season 2 right now and it’s pretty over the top but I’m enjoying it. 

Started a Community rewatch. I’m always shocked to see how comedy changes in even 10 years. Looking at some of the jokes in a show like this or The Office, they would be viewed as rather regressive if made in 2020. Particularly on issues of race and sexuality. 

I also forgot just how awful Jeff was in the beginning. Completely unlikeable. 

14 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Started Cursed on Netflix. Im

pretty sure I’m gonna hate it but it’s fantasy so I’m watching it. 

Let us know how you find it. I'm interested in it...but it also looks shit. Also, there's the new movie called Wizards of etc etc that has Del Toro directing that might be good. 

7 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Also, there's the new movie called Wizards of etc etc that has Del Toro directing that might be good. 

Just to be clear for others, Wizards is not a movie, but the third TV series in Guillermo Del Toro's Tales of Arcadia series. First was Trollhunters (52 episodes), then 3Below (26 episodes), and now Wizards (10 episodes). After Wizards will come a final film to cap it all off, Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans.

And while Del Toro is an executive producer on the series, beyond co-writing 4 episodes and co-directing 4 episodes across three different shows (two in Trollhunters, one in 3Below, and two in Wizards) he isn't that involved - it's much more the Hageman duo and Marc Guggenheim who showran and wrote episodes for the series (and their writing team as well as the directing team at the animation studio). He's not even involved in the movie at all beyond an executive producer credit. Just to be clear about Del Toro's level of involvement. :)

43 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just to be clear for others, Wizards is not a movie, but the third TV series in Guillermo Del Toro's Tales of Arcadia series. First was Trollhunters (52 episodes), then 3Below (26 episodes), and now Wizards (10 episodes). After Wizards will come a final film to cap it all off, Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans.

And while Del Toro is an executive producer on the series, beyond co-writing 4 episodes and co-directing 4 episodes across three different shows (two in Trollhunters, one in 3Below, and two in Wizards) he isn't that involved - it's much more the Hageman duo and Marc Guggenheim who showran and wrote episodes for the series (and their writing team as well as the directing team at the animation studio). He's not even involved in the movie at all beyond an executive producer credit. Just to be clear about Del Toro's level of involvement. :)

this is what you get for quickly reading through an article on Polygon. I stand (very much) corrected.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

this is what you get for quickly reading through an article on Polygon. I stand (very much) corrected.

It's confusing because separately Del Toro co-wrote a film for director Robert Zemeckis, which is a film, titled The Witches which comes out later this year or next. So you have Wizards: Tales of Arcadia coming out (10 episode, one season animated TV show sequel) and also The Witches, a full-length live-action feature film, unrelated and separate.

Finished In the Dark and mostly enjoyed it. It actually has the same basic structure to it as Dead to Me, which was also enjoyable enough but then gets all crazy in the second season since everything is mostly resolved in the first season and they need to find a reason to keep the show going. I powered through it pretty quickly because I found it compulsively watchable. 

Currently I think I have the last 2 episodes of The Last Dance to finish. ALso watched the first episode of Ozark, will probably watch more of that this weekend and try to make that my next binge watch show. 

On 8/11/2020 at 1:02 PM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Finally getting around to finishing Hunter X Hunter. 

As a big fan of the original manga, are you watching the original adaptation from 1999-2001 (62 episodes) and it's OVA sequels or the reboot adaptation from 2011-2014 (148 episodes) and it's sidequel films? The full 92 episodes (including OVA's) of the first show adapt the same 75 episodes of the second show, though I think the first show is better directed (by renowned Kazuhiro Furuhashi) than the second show is (by Hiroshi Kojina). The second show adapts much more of the show since its much newer (the manga is still unfinished) but I think people should watch the first show anyway before the second. This isn't like Fullmetal Alchemist - the first show faithfully adapted as much material as there was in its 92 episodes, then it just stops after wrapping up its final arc since more manga was still incoming but that was the end of the first show.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

As a big fan of the original manga, are you watching the original adaptation from 1999-2001 (62 episodes) and it's OVA sequels or the reboot adaptation from 2011-2014 (148 episodes) and it's sidequel films? The full 92 episodes (including OVA's) of the first show adapt the same 75 episodes of the second show, though I think the first show is better directed (by renowned Kazuhiro Furuhashi) than the second show is (by Hiroshi Kojina). The second show adapts much more of the show since its much newer (the manga is still unfinished) but I think people should watch the first show anyway before the second. This isn't like Fullmetal Alchemist - the first show faithfully adapted as much material as there was in its 92 episodes, then it just stops after wrapping up its final arc since more manga was still incoming but that was the end of the first show.

Definitely the second run of the show. I’ve never seen the original streaming. 

Finished up my BSG rewatch. I don’t find the second half of season 4 nearly as bothersome as most, but it does lose a lot of steam and Kara’s final bend of plot arc is pretty weak. Overall still a great show and I’m kinda excited about the prospect of this next BSG series as a TV golden age prestige show instead of a surprisingly competent SyFy show.

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Finished up my BSG rewatch. I don’t find the second half of season 4 nearly as bothersome as most, but it does lose a lot of steam and Kara’s final bend of plot arc is pretty weak. Overall still a great show and I’m kinda excited about the prospect of this next BSG series as a TV golden age prestige show instead of a surprisingly competent SyFy show.

I'm not excited by the prospect of the reboot or whatever it is, but I also rewatched BSG recently to show the wife the whole show (yes, everything, the proper way haha) and she loved it (and I enjoyed it on what must have been my third time watching the show all the way through) and I still like season 4 a lot. Kara is really the only one who gets really short shrift, and I understand disliking a certain aspect of the ending on a more fundamental level, but if one gets past that aspect, it all ends as one would expect such a show to end in terms of all the characters' fates. The bluray box collection makes the show look great too, and the director's cuts of any episode that has one improves the show as well. 

17 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I definitely recommend it, but the second series is good too, I don't think it's available easily for streaming though. :)

Netflix and Hulu both have into the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc, but stop either at the beginning or a few episodes in. Crunchyroll has the entire 148 episode series. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Netflix and Hulu both have into the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc, but stop either at the beginning or a few episodes in. Crunchyroll has the entire 148 episode series. 

Sorry, to be clear, I meant the first series is not available to stream easily. The second is newer and is available, as you say. :)

Trying to get into Ozark, it's merely okay so far for me. Think I just finished episode 7 of the first season. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. Doesn't make me want to binge watch, I watch an episode here and there. Hasn't really hooked me yet.