What are you currently watching?

Dodger

After finishing Quarry, I Know This Much Is True, and The Outsider, we've now wrapped up season one of The Young Pope, we are now on to season 2 of The Young Pope, which is called The New Pope. Do not confuse this with the recent Fernando Mireilles film, The Two Popes, which is also awesome, starring Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce playing fictionalized versions of real popes. In The Young Pope/The New Pope, it's Jude Law, James Cromwell, and John Malkovich by comparison, all playing entirely fictitious popes. Confusing I know!

Still watching Cosmos: A SpaceTime Voyage on the side.

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

After finishing Quarry, I Know This Much Is True, and The Outsider, we've now wrapped up season one of The Young Pope, we are now on to season 2 of The Young Pope, which is called The New Pope. Do not confuse this with the recent Fernando Mireilles film, The Two Popes, which is also awesome, starring Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce playing fictionalized versions of real popes. In The Young Pope/The New Pope, it's Jude Law, James Cromwell, and John Malkovich by comparison, all playing entirely fictitious popes. Confusing I know!

Still watching Cosmos: A SpaceTime Voyage on the side.

The Young Pope is so good but I love The New Pope even more.

4 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Just finished 12 Monkeys.

I was a big fan of the movie and have been meaning to watch the series for a while now. Binge watched most of it in one epic session :beatup:

I've been eyeballing that one. How was it? I just rewatched the movie a month or two ago. 

15 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I've been eyeballing that one. How was it? I just rewatched the movie a month or two ago. 

I really enjoyed it.

It is a series with a lot of twists so I can't say too much, or really much of anything, without spoiling something.

I will say this. I was a fan of the original not because it was a fun movie, but because it fell into that trend in the 90's where in a lot of ways it made you uncomfortable in almost a pyscological thriller type of way. I am thinking Jacob's Ladder, Natural Born Killers, the first half of The Matrix, and to a lesser extent Fight Club. Films that used things like super fast cuts and weird imagery to kind of induce in the audience the same loss of sanity the characters were feeling.

Anyway, that is to say the the first season of the series sticks to this formula somewhat, though not as successfully as the film imho. As the series moves on, it departs more and more from that asthetic and becomes more of a standard time traveling Action Drama.

I don't say that to say the movie is better or the series is bad. In some ways the series is better as it allows for longer archs and more getting to know the characters, but it is something to consider before jumping in.

I would reccommend it, and it's not a huge time sink as it is only 4 mid-size seasons(13, 13, 10, and 11) so it doesn't take long. But it accomplishes a lot in that time and it feels like one of the few series that really knew when to quit. It told the story it set out to and stopped right when it should have. Like, if Supernatural had the good sense to end after season 5, if you get that reference.

One more thing, something interesting about the show is....have you ever watched a show and immediately after an episode you knew right away that was definately the best episode the show had yet done and almost certainly the best it was ever going to do? 12 Monkeys did that for me about halfway through its run. If you watch it, I am curious if you can spot the episode I mean.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I would reccommend it, and it's not a huge time sink as it is only 4 mid-size seasons(13, 13, 10, and 11) so it doesn't take long. But it accomplishes a lot in that time and it feels like one of the few series that really knew when to quit. It told the story it set out to and stopped right when it should have. Like, if Supernatural had the good sense to end after season 5, if you get that reference.

I do get the Supernatural reference. I didn't start watching it until it had already been on the air for way too long. I started at the beginning, and enough people told me I could stop after 5, so that's what I did. :lol:

I just cancelled my Hulu subscription, since I can justify having only so many different streaming services at once and I wasn't really using it. Next time I resub, I'll give this a shot. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2020 at 9:37 AM, Greatoneshere said:

It's confusing because separately Del Toro co-wrote a film for director Robert Zemeckis, which is a film, titled The Witches which comes out later this year or next. So you have Wizards: Tales of Arcadia coming out (10 episode, one season animated TV show sequel) and also The Witches, a full-length live-action feature film, unrelated and separate.