PSP Owners, check your batteries

Bitgod

I'll have to check on my PSP later today. This is probably a good reason why people should make sure batteries are not fully depleted and are removed from devices when possible. While I take the battery out everytime I put away my PSP I do worry how I'm going to handle this for my 3DS collection or my PSP GO & Vita as it isn't so simple. =/

I actually pulled mine out about a month ago because I was really itching to play ATV offroad fury. My PS2 is broke and I haven't bothered to buy another one so I bought the 2 ATV games cheap on eBay. Think I might go back and give peace walker a chance, a lot of people recommend it to me because of my love for Battle Network.

TLDR: My battery is fine.

25 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I actually pulled mine out about a month ago because I was really itching to play ATV offroad fury. My PS2 is broke and I haven't bothered to buy another one so I bought the 2 ATV games cheap on eBay. Think I might go back and give peace walker a chance, a lot of people recommend it to me because of my love for Battle Network.

TLDR: My battery is fine.

I remember the ATV off road fury Blazin' Trails game to be fun on PSP.

29 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

I remember the ATV off road fury Blazin' Trails game to be fun on PSP.

I prefer ATV off road fury pro of the 2, but they both hit the itch I had for the series though.

MX vs ATV just doesn't hit the same.

Yeah, mine's puffed up a little bit. Just ever so slightly, but it's there. The plastic cover won't stay attached to the system, so the battery is definitely not the same size it was when I bought it. I have the Slim model. 

Anyone got a good recommendation for a replacement? And where to buy it? Just...Amazon or something?

I forgot to post an update but, my battery was fine and still holds a charge quite well. Since I was checking on my PSP I decided to go fetch my PSP games from my condo's locker for the weekend (my collection is very pared down from it's peak 8 years ago). It's a bit of a shame my Ys Seven box got a bit beat up sitting in my locker. =/

spacer.png

Atm I'm mostly just playing some gundam games again. The PSP feels so damn small after getting use to my Vita & Switch over the years. :lol:

One last bit, when ever my psp battery dies. I've got backup. ;)

spacer.png

13 hours ago, chakoo said:

I forgot to post an update but, my battery was fine and still holds a charge quite well. Since I was checking on my PSP I decided to go fetch my PSP games from my condo's locker for the weekend (my collection is very pared down from it's peak 8 years ago). It's a bit of a shame my Ys Seven box got a bit beat up sitting in my locker. =/

spacer.png

Atm I'm mostly just playing some gundam games again. The PSP feels so damn small after getting use to my Vita & Switch over the years. :lol:

One last bit, when ever my psp battery dies. I've got backup. ;)

spacer.png

Wait what is that you have? A developer kit?

5 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

Wait what is that you have? A developer kit?

Yeah it's a working devkit (not pictured is the system/controller part but I do have one). It also helps I have the the lask SDK for PSP so I can even fully utilize it. :) I got the kit off someone who was looking to get rid of theirs on assemblergames. 

I actually own a few kits. This, a PS3 Test Kit and a 3DS Test Kit. I use to even have a GBA devkit but I stupidly sold it to work as we really needed a spare kit.

:facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 7:49 AM, chakoo said:

I'll have to check on my PSP later today. This is probably a good reason why people should make sure batteries are not fully depleted and are removed from devices when possible. While I take the battery out everytime I put away my PSP I do worry how I'm going to handle this for my 3DS collection or my PSP GO & Vita as it isn't so simple. =/

I don't know if they were depleted when I put them away, but I've been going through my stuff and I found a couple of old phone batteries which were being stored separately from their respective phones that were pretty swollen. I chucked them in the freezer until I can find an opportunity to dispose of them properly. 

On 7/31/2020 at 9:46 AM, GameDadGrant said:

Yeah, mine's puffed up a little bit. Just ever so slightly, but it's there. The plastic cover won't stay attached to the system, so the battery is definitely not the same size it was when I bought it. I have the Slim model. 

Anyone got a good recommendation for a replacement? And where to buy it? Just...Amazon or something?

I will warn you, one of the few times I have ever had trouble with scammers on Amazon is trying to find a replacement for my PSP battery. 

I got a replacement back in 2011 and went ahead and paid the extra for the official kit(which, even then, was getting pretty rare).

Then I beleive I tried to buy one in 2015 just for the hell of it because they seemed to be getting quite rare and I wanted to have one just in case my other one died. And it was a dud. There are still some listed on Amazon, but I wouldn't bet my life on any of them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Stuff like this concerns me with my Vita/3DS collection (DSi also but I've opened the boxes on those). I've got sealed LE units that I might have to open to pull out the batteries on if I keep them long term. :(

Luckily for my current PSP and DSi unts they are still totally fine and the batteries still work.

5 hours ago, chakoo said:

Stuff like this concerns me with my Vita/3DS collection (DSi also but I've opened the boxes on those). I've got sealed LE units that I might have to open to pull out the batteries on if I keep them long term. :(

Luckily for my current PSP and DSi unts they are still totally fine and the batteries still work.

I hear you on that. I opened up my Vitas the other day just to check the batteries and thankfully they look good (for now).

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 1:21 PM, chakoo said:

I have a NIB Zelda 3DS. Might have to open it. My PSP's battery died a few years back I bought a replacement at the time. With handheld PCs and thin and light ultrabooks I'll probably just emulate going forward.

• 8 months later...

Just an update on this thread. PSP & Vitas are still fine. I did how ever noticed my N3DS Japanese unit's battery is starting to swell (US one is fine). Finding replacement batteries specifically for the N3DS (non XL) model is stupidly difficult in Canada. =/

:nervous:

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2023 at 11:30 PM, Rodimus said:

My PSP battery is dead.

At least PSP replacement batteries aren't too hard to come by.

Not sure what I'll do when my PSP go dies, or hell n3ds (non xl) is starting to become a pain as replacements are rare in NA/Canada.